Subject: re: Simulations & Comparisons

From: Dave Maltz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 98 13:06:11 EDT

Scott,

In preparing our simulations and comparisons, it was certainly
important to us to do the best possible job of implementing the
protocols.  We spent uncountable iterations of testing and refinement
to make sure we had each protocol operating the best it possibly
could without out effectively rewriting the protocol.  It is true
that TORA/IMEP is the most complicated and difficult to implement
protocol of the ones we simulated, and it requires the strongest and
hardest to achieve semantics.  However, we're pretty sure there are no
major holes in our implementation, and we are able to explain all the
behaviors we saw in terms of fundamental properties of the TORA/IMEP
protocol pair.

When you say that ``it appears likely that there are problems with the
IMEP/TORA simulation models,'' what specific problems are you thinking
of?  Within the next few days, we will be releasing the TORA and AODV
implementations we used, and we would appreciate feedback from any
party about bugs or mistakes in our implementation.

Dave Maltz and Josh Broch

---

From: "M. Scott Corson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:00:36 -0400 (EDT)

> party about bugs or mistakes in our implementation.

Dave and Josh,

It's not clear from the paper exactly what was done.
I know you had to fill in some holes as the specs are incomplete.
Thanks a lot for that work...it was certainly not easy.
I look forward to seeing the models, and then work can begin
towards ns2 reference models for both IMEP and TORA.

-Scott

*******************************************************************************

M. Scott Corson                                 Institute for Systems Research
[email-masked]                              A.V. Williams Bldg. (115)
Phone: 301-405-6630 (Rm. 2205 AVW)              University of Maryland     
Fax:   301-314-8586                             College Park, MD  20742

*******************************************************************************