Subject: Scenarios, Assumptions, and Evaluations

From: "Strater, Jay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:41:08 -0400

Scott, Joe, others

I've been late in reading my MANET mail but now that I've finally made it
through I realize that I should share with you the state of MITRE evaluation
activities. 

As you and a few others may know, several colleagues and I at MITRE have
been involved in conducting evaluations (via OPNET simulation) of some
advanced routing protocols (MANET and DARPA) for tactical military ad hoc
nets.  The purpose for the evaluations is to determine the appropriateness
of the protocols for different tactical conditions.  In the evaluations we
are simulating protocol performances for a variety of tactical
laydown/movement/terrain scenarios, traffic services, net sizes, and loading
conditions.  In particular, we are simulating "external" performance metrics
(such as delay and throughput) and "internal" performance metrics (such as
information and control efficiency and route lengths).  We've chosen 3
scenarios that have varying levels of connectivity and link fluctuation
characteristics.  We've chosen a mix of traffic types that range from
reliable to time sensitive traffic types.  And we're evaluating net sizes of
10, 20, and 40 node nets.  In each case, we've varied loading to the point
where end-to-end delay becomes excessive (to determine the limit of the
protocol and net).  Although our scenarios and traffic assumptions are
military in nature, we've characterized them in a manner that may be
comparable to commercial scenarios and traffic assumptions.  

Given the interest in defining net scenarios and traffic assumptions and in
determining the conditions/assumptions under which different protocols
perform best, we'd be happy to share our conditions/assumptions and
performance results in the next MANET meeting in December.  Currently, we
are in the middle of our simulations so we don't have adequate information
to share with the group.  By the next meeting, however, we expect to have a
fairly large set of results.  

Jay

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:08:35 -0400

>fairly large set of results.

Yes, we do want input on this and recommendations on scenario sets, etc.
Input is, of course, welcome in December.

While next meeting is o.k., input you can discuss now on the mailing list
would be appreciated.  Even without results; your group size, mobility
models, assumptions, traffic scenarios under consideration would be of
interest.  Any early strong opinions you have formed on effectively
covering the broad range of performance considerations would be welcomed.  

-v/r joe

---

From: "A. Fernando Gomez Aguayo /MCC95" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:01:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hello to everybody.

I've reading with big interest all the issues discussed here since I
suscribed a little time ago. Recently, I am doing a research on modeling
several topics about mobile networks, especially routing.

I have a couple of questions for you who develop algorithms and models:

1. What kind of metrics did you consider for your routing algorithms?
2. What do you think is the best way for representing a model for mobile
nets?, Petri nets, graphs, block diagrams or finite state machines? I
understand that the choice is up to me, but what do you experts say?

Thanks in advance.

			Fernando Gomez
			Mobile Networking Research Group
			Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Studies
			Campus Morelos
			MEXICO