Subject: Second CFP: IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (WMCSA'99)

From: Jin Jing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:51:26 -0400

Apologies if you receive this message multiple times!
.......................................................................................................................

Call for Papers and Participation

2nd IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (WMCSA'99)

                     February 25-26, 1999
                  New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

           Sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society's
           Task Force on Internetworking (TFIW) and
        Technical Committee on Operating Systems (TCOS),
          in cooperation with the USENIX Association

This past decade has seen the widespread adoption of both portable
computing devices and wireless communication networks.  However, the
integration of these two technologies has yet to occur on a large
scale.  Achieving pervasive mobile computing will require advances
in many areas such as

+ Network and operating system support for mobility
+ Application adaptation to changing conditions
+ Portable computing hardware with networking capability
+ Digital audio and video in mobile environments
+ Performance evaluation of wireless data networks
+ Mobile Internet and Web access
+ Security and privacy
+ Power management

Following the example of the first WMCSA (see 
http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mukka/tcos/arch/spring95/spring95.html), 
the goal of this workshop is to foster the exchange  of  ideas  in  
mobile computing among workers in the field.  Attendance will be limited to 
about 60 participants, based on  the  position papers submitted.  We seek
papers that describe ongoing or completed research and development
efforts.  We are particularly interested in papers that propose
new directions, advocate non-traditional approaches, or generate
controversy and discussion.  Submissions must not exceed 10 pages
in length.  We will publish a printed proceedings.

A small number of graduate students will be granted a  waiver of  the
registration  fee.  In return, these students will be asked to take
notes at the workshop.  Students who wish  to  be  considered for  the
waiver  must  send in a brief description of their current research,
and  an  explanation  of how participation in the workshop is likely
to help them.

WMCSA '99 will take place immediately following and in the same location
as the 3rd USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation
(OSDI '99).  Please see http://www.usenix.org/events/osdi99 for more
information on OSDI '99.

                          ORGANIZERS

General Chair                   Sumi Helal, U. of Florida
Finance Chair                   Mukesh Singhal, Ohio State U.
Publications Chair             Joe Duran, Motorola
Publicity Chair                  Jin Jing, GTE Labs
Local Arrangements Chair        Golden G. Richard, III, U. of New Orleans

Program Chair                   Ramon Caceres, AT&T Labs
Program Committee    Mary Baker, Stanford
                                B. Badrinath, Rutgers
                                Nigel Davies, U. of Lancaster
                                Dave Johnson, Carnegie Mellon U.
                                Anthony Joseph, U.C. Berkeley
                                Jay Kistler, FORE Systems
                                Karin Petersen, Xerox PARC
                                Steve Pink, Lulea U.
                                Srini Seshan, IBM Research
                                Cormac Sreenan, AT&T Labs

Steering Committee              Ramon Caceres, AT&T Labs
                                Fred Douglis (Chair), AT&T Labs
                                Sumi Helal, U. of Florida
                                David Kotz, Dartmouth College
                                Darrell Long, U.C. Santa Cruz 

                      SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Send a PostScript or PDF copy of your position papers, at most 10
pages in length, to [email-masked].

Applications for student waivers should be sent to the same address.

                       IMPORTANT DATES

Submissions due               October  16, 1998
Acceptance notification       November 23, 1998
Camera-ready copy due         December 18, 1998

                    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

For the latest information on WMCSA'99, please see

        http://www.research.att.com/conf/wmcsa99