Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-dsr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 09:42:07 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol 
                          for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
	Author(s)	: J. Broch, D. Johnson, D. Maltz
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-dsr-01.txt
	Pages		: 49
	Date		: 05-Jan-99
	
   Dynamic Source Routing (DSR) is a routing protocol designed
   specifically for use in mobile ad hoc networks.  The protocol allows
   nodes to dynamically discover a source route across multiple network
   hops to any destination in the ad hoc network.  When using source
   routing, each packet to be routed carries in its header the complete,
   ordered list of nodes through which the packet must pass.  A key
   advantage of source routing is that intermediate hops do not need
   to maintain routing information in order to route the packets they
   receive, since the packets themselves already contain all of the
   necessary routing information.  This, coupled with the dynamic,
   on-demand nature of DSR's Route Discovery, completely eliminates the
   need for periodic router advertisements and link status packets,
   significantly reducing the overhead of DSR, especially during periods
   when the network topology is stable and these packets serve only as
   keep-alives.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-dsr-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-dsr-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-dsr-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Henrik Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:41:46 +0100 (MET)

> 	Author(s)	: J. Broch, D. Johnson, D. Maltz

Hi!

It would be nice if someone of the CMU people could give a short summary
of the changes and improvements of the draft.

Another thing, what is the status of DSDV, is someone working on it or is
it abandoned for AODV?

Best regards, Henrik Eriksson
--
_/_/_/_/_/_/  Henrik Eriksson, [email-masked]    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/        Computer Science student at Uppsala University   	 _/
_/   Two rules of success in life:                               _/
_/   1. Don't tell people everything you know.                   _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/  http://www.csd.uu.se/~d94her/  _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/