Subject: MAC protocols

From: [email-masked] (Cinzia Verga)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 98 18:23:55 GMT

I'm an undergraduate student at the ComputerScience Department of the
University of Milan. My thesis concerns wireless ad-hoc networks.
I have tried to find some information about the MAC protocols used in
real networks but I haven't yet a clear view about the problem.
Could you give me some help please?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
         Cinzia

---

From: "Miguel Sanchez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:36:49 -0000

Hi Cinzia,

MAC at wireless networks has several particularities from general MAC
algorithms. When you use a wired network, carrier sensing can be alright but
can be impossible in wireless networks (see capture effect in radio
networks).  Because most wireless is broadcast by nature but propagtion laws
are diffent than in a wired media, some of the basis for wired networks do
not apply to wireless ones. Several MAC algorithms have been proposed with
this diferences in mind:

o You could see Dr. Zygmunt Haas paper on Double Busy Tone MAC algorithm.
o You also can see 802.11 MAC specification.
o Another MAC algorithm taking into account has been published in ACM's
Computer Communication Review Volume 28 Number 3 July 1998 "PAMAS - Power
Aware Multi-Access Protocol with Signaling for Ad-hoc Networks" (by S. Singh
and C.S. Raghavendra).
o MACAW protocol is described on ACM SIGCOMM'94 Proceedings p.212-225
o P. Harn MACA protocol

You also may be interested on reading about hidden terminal  and exposed
terminal problems.

I hope this can help you.

Regards,

-------------------------------------------
Miguel Sanchez Lopez
Universidad Politecnica de Valencia
DISCA-EUI
Camino de Vera, 14
46071 VALENCIA (SPAIN)
tel: +34 96 387 97 00
fax: +34 96 387 75 79
-------------------------------------------

> -----Mensaje original-----
> De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]En
> nombre de Cinzia Verga
> Enviado el: jueves 31 de diciembre de 1998 18:24
> Para: [email-masked]
> Asunto: MAC protocols
>
>

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:49:04 -0800

Also see Graham Campbell's work on DQSA/DQRAP.  Illinois Institute of Tech,
he's got a web page.
b

---

From: Jose Garcia-Luna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:07:05 -0800

For what is worth, our work on collision resolution (CARMA-NTQ) has
better performance that DQRAP, for example. CARMA (collision avoidance
and resolution multiple access) protocols carry out deterministic
collision resolution.  The web page is
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/research/ccrg/publications.html click on
papers by Garces (ps and pdf formats)

JJ
------