Subject: Re: data slides on power consumption - Oslo meeting

From: Elizabeth Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

~> 
~> >> From my recollection there were 3 AODV versions implemented.
~> Joe> - hello only 
~> Joe> - hello + Mac layer notification 
~> Joe> - Mac layer notification only
~> 
~> Yes, I believe it was the combination that yielded good results for
~> Switchlab.  In the 802.11 context, "hello only" doesn't make too much
~> sense to me - you're just throwing away useful MAC layer information.
~> (You want to avoid repeatedly deleting and rediscovering a marginal
~> link, though.)
~> 

If there is a MAC layer protocol being used, then AODV does not
require the use of Hello messages.  Hello messages are included 
so that we can have connectivity information and keep our routes
up-to-date when there is no underlying MAC protocol.

>The current version of the AODV draft (03) specifies a limited TTL
>expanding ring search for route requests.  Samir Das has been working
>with us and found that to be extremely helpful in limiting the impact
>of route discovery.  Basically, we specify 3 values, TTL_START, 
>TTL_INCREMENT, and TTL_THRESHOLD, which are used for the expanding
>ring search.  We also specify that if a route to a destination is
>lost, then the initial ttl for the RREQ to rediscover that route
>should be the last known hop count to that destination + TTL_THRESHOLD.
>Please see Section 6.3.1 in our latest draft for more details.
>

oops - typo.  That last TTL_THRESHOLD should actually be TTL_INCREMENT.

Elizabeth