Subject: Re: data slides on power consumption - Oslo meeting

From: Elizabeth Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Joe (and others),

~> 
~> 
~> The -- limited TTL search prior to flood -- algorithms may also help reduce
~> energy consumption during route discovery.  Do you know whether anything of
~> this nature was going on in the DSR or AODV models you tested?
~> 

The current version of the AODV draft (03) specifies a limited TTL
expanding ring search for route requests.  Samir Das has been working
with us and found that to be extremely helpful in limiting the impact
of route discovery.  Basically, we specify 3 values, TTL_START, 
TTL_INCREMENT, and TTL_THRESHOLD, which are used for the expanding
ring search.  We also specify that if a route to a destination is
lost, then the initial ttl for the RREQ to rediscover that route
should be the last known hop count to that destination + TTL_THRESHOLD.
Please see Section 6.3.1 in our latest draft for more details.

I believe that version of the draft was not released in time for
Laura to incorporate those changes into her energy consumption
simulations.

Regards,
Elizabeth

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 14:41:27 -0400

>Laura to incorporate those changes into her energy consumption

Right, there may have been something in DSR.  I believe there was a simple
TTL=1,infinity search optimization defined.  I believe the scenarios were
fairly dense so this would have an affect if implemented.

-Joe