Subject: PARSEC workshop '99

From: Mineo Takai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 09:52:28 -0700

Please accept our appologies if you have received multiple copies of
this call for participation. We appreciate if you could forward this
message to anyone who might be interested in attending the workshop.

PARSEC WORKSHOP '99

Sunset Canyon Recreation Center
111 De Neve Drive, UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Thursday(1:00pm-5:00pm) November 11th, 1999 and
Friday(8:00am-5:00pm) November 12th, 1999

Workshop Scope and Objectives

UCLA's Parallel Computing Laboratory is happy to announce the second annual
PARSEC User's Workshop, which will be held November 11th and 12th at the
Sunset Canyon Recreation Center on campus at the University of California,
Los Angeles.

The emphasis of this year's workshop is large-scale simulation and GloMoSim.
GloMoSim is a widely used scalable simulation library for wired and wireless
network simulation, written in PARSEC. The Workshop will open with a half
day of tutorials on PARSEC and GloMoSim on Day 1. Day 2 will consist of
presentations on GloMoSim design, detailed protocol, stack models, mobility
and propagation models, as well as other models written in PARSEC. The day
will conclude with a panel discussion on next-generation tools for
performance prediction of large networks.

Dates

* October 29, 1999: Early registration deadline
* November 11-12, 1999: PARSEC '99 Workshop

Agenda

THURSDAY,  NOVEMBER 11 (Vista Rm-#123)
12:30 pm - 01:00 pm     - Check-In -

Afternoon Session: Tutorials
01:00 pm - 02:45 pm Tutorial: PARSEC Language constructs       R. Meyer
02:45 pm - 03:00 pm     - Break -
03:00 pm - 05:00 pm Tutorial: GloMoSim                         J. Martin
                    Simulation environment for networks

FRIDAY,  NOVEMBER 12 (Buenos Ayres Rm-#127)
08:00 am - 08:30 am     - Check-In / Light breakfast -

Network Simulation in PARSEC
08:30 am - 09:00 am Welcome and overview                       R. Bagrodia
09:00 am - 09:45 am Simulation of wireless  networks           M. Takai
09:45 am - 10:00 am Mobility models in GloMoSim                X. Hong
10:00 am - 10:15 am TCP performance in wireless  networks      K. Tang
10:15 am - 10:30 am Performance study of  wireless             SJ. Lee
                    unicast protocols 
10:45 am - 11:00 am     - Break -

PARSEC/GloMoSim Interoperability
11:00 am - 11:15 am HLA support in  PARSEC/GloMoSim            J. Hsu
11:15 am - 11:30 am Integration with SEAM-LSS                  R. Bagrodia
11:30 am - 11:45 am Integration with SIRCIM propagation model  X. Hong
11:45 am - 12:00 pm Interoperability with NS                   J. Martin

12:00 pm - 01:00 pm     - Lunch -

Network Simulation and Miscellaneous
01:00 pm - 01:15 pm Ad hoc routing protocol models             K. Viswanath
01:15 pm - 01:30 pm Simulation of gradient-based data dissemination in wireless
                    sensor networks             J. Li, M. Srivastava, P. Reiter
01:30 pm - 01:45 pm Satellite models                           J. Stepanek
01:45 pm - 02:00 pm War game simulation                        P. Talbot

Future Directions in PARSEC/GloMoSim
02:00 pm - 02:15 pm Hybrid/real time simulation                N. Zohn
02:15 pm - 02:30 pm Multicast routing protocols in GloMoSim    SJ. Lee
02:30 pm - 02:45 pm Wired network simulation in GloMoSim       J. Hsu
02:45 pm - 03:00 pm     - Break -

03:00 pm - 05:00 pm Panel: Next-generation network simulation
  Dr. Sri Kumar         (DARPA)
  Dr. Martha Steenstrup (BBN)
  Dr. JJ Garcia Luna    (UCSC)
  Dr. Gary Warren       (SAIC)
  Dr. John Hiedemann    (USC/ISI)
  Dr. Mario Gerla       (UCLA)

05:00 pm - 06:00 pm  Reception: beverages and hors d'oeuvres

The registration fee is $90. This price includes Thursday afternoon
beverages, and Friday's light breakfast, full lunch and early-evening
reception. It also includes materials and parking.

Space is limited so register early with online registration at
http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/projects/parsec/workshop99/registration.html

If you have questions or would like to request flyers or registration forms
by mail, please send e-mail to [email-masked].