Subject: CFP: Optical Networking Workshop

From: Krishna Sivalingam - EECS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:06:15 -0700 (PDT)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please find enclosed the CFP for the "Workshop on Optical Networks" to
be held in Dallas, Jan 31 - Feb 1, 2000.  Please note that the
submission deadline has been extended to Nov 15th.

Please feel free to distribute this to colleagues who might be
interested. 

We apologize if you happen to receive this copy multiple times.

Regards
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          CALL FOR PAPERS

                    WORKSHOP ON OPTICAL NETWORKS

                   January 31 - February 1, 2000
                 The University of Texas at Dallas
   Center for Advanced Telecommunications Systems and Services (CATSS)

              Co-sponsored by IEEE Region 5, ACM, SPIE

Due to multiple requests, the deadline for submissions has been
extended to November 15.  Note that there is a submission category
for extended abstracts as well as for full length papers.

Emerging optical technologies, together with the rapidly rising demand 
for network bandwidth, are fueling an increasing amount of research in
the field of optical networks.  A new optical network layer is evolving
which focuses on providing advanced optical capabilities, such as optical
reconfiguration, wavelength provisioning, and all-optical protection and
restoration.  New network protocols and architectures, in local, 
metropolitan, and wide-area environments, must be developed in order to
fully utilize this emerging optical layer, and to create an efficient 
optical network that will ultimately provide end-to-end optical 
services.  This workshop provides a forum for information exchange and 
open discussion covering the technical and commercial development of 
optical network technologies, architectures, protocols, and applications.  

Topics:

Papers are solicited in all research and applied areas related to
optical networking including, but not limited to:

   * Optical WDM and TDM networks
   * Architectures and protocols for optical networks
   * Optical network applications
   * Optical switching technologies
   * IP over WDM
   * Optical infrastructures
   * Network management
   * Optical protection and restoration
   * Network performance
   * Quality of Service in optical networks

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Authors are invited to submit extended abstracts of up to 5 pages
for presentation in working sessions, or full papers of up to 20
pages to appear in the workshop proceedings.  Papers should be 
submitted in postscript or PDF format to [email-masked] or 
[email-masked].  

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission deadline:       November 15, 1999
Acceptance notification:   December 1, 1999
Final manuscript due:      December 10, 1999

GENERAL CHAIR:

Imrich Chlamtac, University of Texas at Dallas, CATSS

TECHNICAL PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS:

Andrea Fumagalli, University of Texas at Dallas, CATSS
Jason Jue, University of Texas at Dallas, CATSS

PUBLICITY CHAIR:

Krishna Sivalingam, Washington State University

LOCAL CHAIR:

Gerald Burnham, University of Texas at Dallas

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Richard Cardwell, Telcordia
Joe Cook, MCI Worldcom
Debasish Datta, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
Piet Demeester, University of Ghent, Belgium
Nasir Ghani, Nokia
Mark Karol, Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies 
Bo Li, University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
Guifang Li, University of Central Florida
Marco Ajmone Marsan, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
Francesco Masetti, Alcatel
Eytan Modiano, MIT
Biswanath Mukherjee, University of California, Davis
Achille Pattavina, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Chunming Qiao, SUNY Buffalo
Byrav Ramamurthy, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
George Rouskas, North Carolina State University
Bill St. Arnaud, Canarie Inc.
David Su, NIST
Harmen R. van As, Vienna Institute of Technology, Austria
Alan Willner, University of Southern California