Subject: Broadcast when AODV in multiple interfaces

From: Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:00:37 +0300

Hi people,

When you broadcast a RREQ from a host with at least two interfaces
where AODV is 'playing': The 'Source IP Address' of the packet should
be the one corresponding to each interface (so packets that would go
out by different interfaces would differ in the 'Source IP Address'
field, and therefor the 'Dest Seq Num' should be also different?
Or should we just one of them (randomly chosen)?
Which are the implications of that?

I have the filling that AODV has been designed with
one_AODV_interface_per_host scenarios in mind. Althoug there is no
explicit restriction about that.
Do you have any impresions about what would change and if it would
be possible to use it in scenarios with more than one AODV interfaces
per host?

Dou you think that the use of AODV should be restricted to only one
interface-per-host?
Somehow, it looks to me that this could be something that affects,
not only to AODV, but to manet protocols in general.

BR/ManelG

4. Route Request (RREQ) Message Format

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |J|R|G|       Reserved          |   Hop Count   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                         Broadcast ID                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                    Destination IP Address                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                  Destination Sequence Number                  |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                       Source IP Address                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                     Source Sequence Number                    |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:37:22 -0700

Hello Manel,

> Which are the implications of that?

The Source IP addresses will be different for the different
interfaces, but the destination sequence number would be the
same.

> one_AODV_interface_per_host scenarios in mind.

No, we tried to be careful about handling multiple network
interfaces.  Of course, there may still be errors, but none
that we know of right now.

> not only to AODV, but to manet protocols in general.

I do not think that ad hoc routing protocols should be designed
with only one interface in mind.  I also believe that it is
generally unnecessary to introduce interface identifiers or
any such additional addressing family except IP addresses.

Regards,
Charlie P.