Subject: OptiComm 2000: Call for Participation and Advance Program

From: Gaoxi Xiao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:37:17 -0500 (CDT)

**************************************************************************
           We apologize for the inconvenience caused if you have 
                   received multiple such emails from us
           Please kindly help us to distribute it to your colleagues 
                  and other interested groups/researchers
**************************************************************************

	      Call For Participation and Advance Program
		       OptiComm 2000 Conference

			October 22 - 26, 2000
		    Harvey Hotel, Plano, Texas USA
		       http://www.opticomm.org
			[email-masked]

	!!!---Early registration rates end October 1st---!!!

OptiComm 2000, sponsored by SPIE, IEEE, ACM, and CATSS/UTD, is the first
annual conference on optical networking and communications. With major
corporate sponsors including Tellium Corporation, Sorrento Networks,
Lucent Technologies, Metro-OptiX, Vortex Partners, Alcatel, JDS Uniphase,
RSoft Inc., and Agilent Technologies, it covers all aspects of Optical
Networking---research, development, implementation, customer, and business
issues.

OptiComm 2000 features 8 technical sessions, 8 panels, and 8 tutorials
in 2 full tracks, 5 industry sessions, keynote addresses, exhibits, demos,
and a poster session.  Please see the advance program below for
presentation titles and speakers' information.

The famous Southfork Ranch, where the Ewing family lived their
fictitious lives in the popular television series "Dallas", will host the
Texas style conference banquet with a rodeo show.

On-line registration, information about mail-in registration, and more
details on conference tutorials and hotel accommodations are available
on-line at the OptiComm 2000 web site <http://www.opticomm.org>.

We look forward to seeing you at the conference.

The OptiComm2000 Organizing Committee

*************************ADVANCE
PROGRAM**************************************
Sunday, October 22

### 8:30 am - 12:30 pm : 2 parallel tutorial sessions

Tutorial 1: Wavelength-routing Networks - Architectures and Performance
            	Suresh Subramaniam, George Washington University

Tutorial 2: WDM-Based Access Network Architectures
            	Eytan Modiano, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

### 12:30pm - 1:30pm : Lunch

### 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm : 2 parallel tutorial sessions

Tutorial 3: Introduction to Optical Networking
           	Mari Maeda, Corporation for National Research Initiative

Tutorial 4: Optical Layer Survivability
      		Ori Gerstel, Xros

***********************************************************************
Monday, October 23

### 8:30 am - 12:30 pm : 2 parallel tutorial sessions

Tutorial 5: Introduction to Optical Components, Dispersion, and Non-linear
            Effects
      		Andre Girard, EXFO Electro-Optical Engineering Inc. 

Tutorial 7: Wavelength Conversion, Conversion Placement and Alternatives
                Arun Somani, Iowa State University

### 12:30pm - 1:30pm : Lunch

### 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm : 2 parallel tutorial sessions

Tutorial 6: PMD, Polarization, Non-linear Effects, and DWDM Standards
            Development
                Andre Girard, EXFO Electro-Optical Engineering Inc.

Tutorial 8: Labeled Optical Burst Switching and IP/WDM Integration
      		Chunming Qiao, SUNY Buffalo and Nasir Ghani, Sorrento
Networks

***********************************************************************
Tuesday, October 24

### 8:30 am - 9:30 am : opening remarks & keynote

Keynote : The Pathway to the All Optical Network 
      		Richard Barcus, President of Tellium

### 9:30 am - 10:45 am : 2 parallel technical sessions

Session 1: IP over WDM
-----------------------

Graceful Label Numbering in Optical MPLS Networks
   Ibrahim Cahit Arkut, Refik Cahit Arkut, Nasir Ghani

Bandwidth Maximization in IP over WDM Path Networks
   Hiroaki Harai, Fumito Kubota

Unified Traffic Engineering for IP over WDM Networks
   Jinhan Song, Saewoong Bahk

Session 2: Protection and Restoration
-------------------------------------

Provisioning Multilayer Resilience in Multiservice Optical Networks
   Joseph Kroculick, Cynthia Hood

Effects of Design Constraints on the Total Wavelength Mileage in 
Optical Mesh Networks with Shared Line Protection
   Andrea Fumagalli, Marco Tacca, Isabella Cerutti, 
   Francesco Masetti, Rajesh Jagannathan, Ana Lardies, 

Routing and Wavelength Assignment Algorithms for All-optical WDM
Networks Based on Virtual Multiple Self-Healing Ring Architecture
   Akio Ishikawa, Yoji Kishi

### 11:10 am - 12:30 pm : 2 parallel panel sessions

Panel 1
-------

The Next Big Thing: Innovations in Optical Switching and Transmission 
That Could Change the Industry
   Rob Miles, Vortex Partners

Panel 2
-------

Metro optical Networks: Scaling Beyond SONET,
  Rohit Sharma, ONI Systems

### 12:30pm - 1:30pm : Lunch

### 1:30 pm - 2:15 pm : Keynote address

Keynote : Optical Area Networking - the Infrastructure for 
          CyberCarrier and Data Centers 
      		Tim Sullivan, VP Optical Area Networking, Lucent
Technologies

### 2:20 pm - 4:00 pm : 2 parallel technical session

Session 3: Wavelength Routed Optical Networks
---------------------------------------------
Static-Lightpath Design by Heuristic Methods in Multifiber WDM Networks
   Guido Maier, Achille Pattavina, Laura Roberti, Thierry Chich

Design of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) over Optical Wavelength
Division Multiplexed WDM Networks
   Byrav Ramamurthy, Ashok Ramakrishnan

QoS for Virtual Private Networks (VPN) over Optical WDM Networks
   Yang Qin, Krishna Sivalingam, Bo Li

Path Setup Algorithms for Uniform/Nonuniform Traffic in Unidirectional
Optical Compression TDM Rings
   Kazuhiro Gokyu, Ken-ichi Baba, Masayuki Murata

Session 4: Transport and Access
-------------------------------
Optical Distribution Networks
   Vincent W. S. Chan, Serena Chan, Shayan Mookherjea, 

Heterogeneous Traffic Transport over Optical Networks
   Kazem Sohraby, Patricia Morreale, Mohammad Fatehi, Victor Lawrence

Optical Transport Network Design and Planning: From WDM Backbone
Design to Management Issues
   Mathieu Garnot, V. Miriello

On the Performance of LPT with Lookahead for the Reconfiguration of 
WDM All-Optical Networks
   Evripidis Bampis, Samia Chaoui and Sandrine Vial

### 4:20 pm - 5:40 pm : 2 parallel panel sessions

Panel 3
-------
Carriers' and Vendors' IP over DWDM/Optical Cross-Connect (Space
Division Switching) Trials and Plans
  John Fee, WCOM

Panel 4
-------
New Optical Services: Market Implications and Perspectives
  Gary Smith, CIENA 

### 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm : Conference Banquet

***********************************************************************
Wednesday, October 25

### 8:30 am - 9:15 am : Keynote

Keynote : Evolution of Metro Optical Networks 
      		Dr. Xin Cheng, CEO, Sorrento Networks 

### 9:30 am - 10:45 am : 2 parallel technical sessions

Session 5: Multicasting in Optical Networks
-------------------------------------------
Reliable WDM Multicast in Optical Burst-Switched Networks
   Myoungki Jeong, Chunming Qiao, Yijun Xiong

Supporting IP Dense Mode Multicast Routing Protocols in WDM
All-Optical Networks
   Marcos Rogerio Salvador, Sonia Heemstra de Groot, Diptish Dey

On the Multicast Routing for Wavelength-Routed WDM Networks with
Dynamic Membership
   Nen-Fu Huang, Te-Lung Liu, Yao-Tzung Wang, Bo Li

Session 6: Dynamic Routing and Wavelength Assignment
----------------------------------------------------
Capacity Fairness of WDM Networks with Grooming Capabilities
   Sashisekaran Thiagarajan, Arun Somani, 

An Approach for Bounding Blocking with Application to All-Optical
Unconstrained Routing
   Ehab S. Elmallah

On a Dynamic Wavelength Assignment Algorithm for Wavelength Routed
All-Optical Networks
   Andrei G. Stoica, Abhijit Sengupta,

### 11:10 am - 12:30 pm : 2 parallel panel sessions

Panel 5
-------
Accelerated Service Activation in Multi-protocol Networks
  John Booth, GENUiTY, formerly GTE Internetworking

Panel 6
-------
Optical Networks and the Next Generation Computer Applications
  Bodo Parady, Sun Microsystems

### 12:30pm - 1:30pm : Lunch

### 1:30pm - 2:15pm : Keynote address

Keynote : Economic Feasibility of Multi-Protocol Metropolitan Optical
          Networks
		Kris Shankar, CTO, Metro OptiX

### 2:20 pm - 4:00 pm : 2 parallel technical sessions

Session 7: Photonic Packet Switching ------------------------------------
A Configuration of an Optical Switching System Based on Code Division
Multiplexing
   Shouhei Nishi, Hideki Tode, Koso Murakami, 

All-Optical Packet-Switched Networks: A Study of Contention-Resolution
Schemes in an Irregular Mesh Network with Variable-Sized Packets
   Shun Yao, Biswanath Mukherjee, S.J. Ben Yoo, Sudhir Dixit

WDM Fiber Delay Line Buffer Control for Optical Packet Switching
   An Ge, Ljubisa Tancevski, Gerardo Castanon, Lakshman S. Tamil

Burst Optical Deflection Routing Protocol for Wavelength Routing WDM
Networks
   Xi Wang, Hiroyuki Morikawa, Tomonori Aoyama

Session 8: Survivability and Availability
------------------------------------------
Optical Layer Survivability for Single and Multiple Service Classes
   Gokhan Sahin, Murat Azizoglu

Design Methods of Multi-Layer Survivability in IP over WDM Networks
   Shin'ichi Arakawa, Masayuki Murata, Hideo Miyahara

Revenue Maximization in Survivable WDM Networks
   Murari Sridharan, Arun K. Somani, 

Availability Analysis of Multi-Layer Optical Networks
   L. Jereb, T. Jakab, F. Unghvary

### 4:20 pm - 5:40 pm : 2 parallel panel sessions

Panel 7
-------
The Optical Value Proposition: What Do Investors Want?
  Matthew Rigby, Gerson Lehrman Group

Panel 8 ------- 
Service providers' Optical Networks for XoIP (anything
over IP) services
  Bhumip Khasnabish, Verizon Labs Inc.

### 5:40 pm - 7:15 pm (Poster Sessions)

************************************************************************
Thursday, October 26 : INDUSTRY DAY

### 8:30 am - 10:00 am : Industry-Watch opening remarks and one industry
session

Industry-Watch opening Remarks: "The Light World"
	Nasir Ghani, Industry Program Chair; Sn. Architect, Sorrento
        Networks Inc.

Industry session 1: Enabling Technologies
Chair: Jeff Montgomery, Chief Executive Officer, ElectroniCast

Telecommunications; From Copper to Cosmos
	Jeff Montgomery, Chief Executive Officer, Electronicast 

Key Optical Components and Modules for Metro DWDM Systems
	Jon Harb, Western Regional Sales Manager, JDS Uniphase 

Optical Components for Faster, Longer Distance Communications
	Hava Volterra, VP of Marketing and Business Development, Cyoptics

### 10:10am - 12:30 pm : One industry session

Industry session 2: Access Networks 
Chair: Prabhu Kavi, Director of Product Management, Tenor Networks

Extending Optical Reach to the Server
	Robert Preece, OptiStar Product Manager, Lucent Technologies

Lightspeed Services Activation at the Intelligent Optical Edge
	Matt Hoffman, Senior Product Manager, NMS, Appian Communications

Optical Access Networking: The First Mile of the All-Optical Network
	Steve Hersey, Director of Technical Marketing, Quantum Bridge

Next Generation Optical Access for Advanced Services Networks
	Bruce Miller, Vice President of Engineering, Astral Point
        Communications

High Bit Rate IP Services in Metropolitan Area
	Hamid R. Rezaie, Vice President of Product Planning, Metera
Networks 

### 12:30pm - 1:30pm : Lunch

### 1:30pm - 3:30pm : One industry session

Industry session 3: Metro Networks 
Chair: Daniel Awduche, Distinguished Technical Member, UUNET Technologies

Bridging the Metro Gap
	Baksheesh Ghuman, Vice President of Marketing, Sorrento Networks
Inc.

Metro Access Network Architecture and Technologies
	Jesse Li, Senior Engineer, Worldcom Inc.

Challanges and Solutions for Metropolitan Optical Networking
	Luis Castellon, Senior Manager, Product Marketing, Alidian
Networks

Crossing the Metro Chasm
	Rohit Sharma, VP Optical Hardware Development, Optical Networks 
        Inc.

Subcarrier Multiplexing for the Next Generation Metro Networks
	Dana Waldman, Founder, President and CEO, Centerpoint

### 3:30pm - 6:00pm : One industry session

Industry session 4: Wide Area Networks 
Chair: Tom Ciaccia, Director of Network Architecture, Lucent Technologies

Optical Data Networks
	Tom Ciaccia, Director of Network Architecture, Lucent Technologies

Networking Advances for the Optical Core
	Greg Bernstein, Senior Scientist, Ciena

The Role of Optical Service Switches in New Public Network
	Prahbu Kavi, Director of Product Management, Tenor Networks

On-demand Service Delivery from the Optical Mesh
	Rajish Puranik, Senior Product Manager, Sycamore Networks

Building the New Generation of Intelligent Optical Networks
	Zouheir Mansourati, Director, Product Line Management, 
	OPTera Packet Solutions, Nortel Networks

Servicing the Optical Network
	Vinai Sirkay, Director of Business Development, Vivace Networks

### 6:00 pm : Closing remarks