Subject: Re: [seamoby-mm] Ad hoc scnenarios paragraph

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:54:07 -0800

Hello Phil,

I reckon that AODV and DSR will go to consideration by
the IESG before much longer.  The likely designation
will be Experimental Standard, at least until we get more
deployment experience.

So, I don't agree with your assessment.

Regarding the idea of competition, you are right.  But
consider, for instance, the result of 40 working groups
doing micromobility, or security, or QoS.  You'll have
a lot of "not invented here" and reduplication of finding
all the same mistakes.

It might be feasible to find out where possibilities exist
for cooperation.  Would you volunteer to raise the discussion
on the [manet] list -- most people probably don't remember
your notes from a year ago, and maybe it's time to bring the
subject up again?  That would be better than the direction
of ignoring the work or, as it seems to me, mischaracterizing
it to a certain extent.

Anyway, I truly like the idea of introducing ad hoc
networking into local mobility scenarios.  I wrote
up a sort-of similar idea about community-based ad hoc
networking tied in with regionalized Internet access.
It might have the effect of bringing the Internet back
home where it belongs.

I've cross-posted this to the [manet] list, because it seems
to me like a discussion that ought be heard there.  I hope
that's O.K.

Regards,
Charlie P.

Pat Calhoun wrote:
> 
> > We discussed this at length at the last MM meting.  You were not present.
> > Yes we do want to
> > include it.  I have posted to MANET, and they will not be providing a
> > "STANDARD" ad hoc
> > mechanism for a "LONG TIME".
> 
> ... and opening up that can of worms will bring in all the MANET guys, with
> their various proposals, and slow us down as well (I doubt that we could do it
> faster than they could).
> 
> PatC