Subject: Re: mobility model in ad hoc network

From: "Elizabeth M. Royer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:10:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ya,

In an upcoming ICC'01 paper, we have defined a new mobility
model called the Random Direction model.  The paper title
is "An Analysis of the Optimum Node Density for Ad hoc 
Mobile Networks".  It should be available off of my website
by the end of the month  (http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~eroyer).

Elizabeth

~> Hi,
~> 
~> I realized that the random mobility model(way point) has been widely used
~> in ad hoc routing research. I'd like to know if there are any other 
~> mobility models studied in the ad hoc network research. More generally,
~> does mobility model have big impact on the ad hoc routing research ?
~> 
~> thanks
~> 
~> -Ya
~>

---

From: Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:45:30 +0200

Hi :)

I've just been reading the 'draft-ietf-manet-aodv6-00.txt'.
(I didn't know that it was out since last November)

Just one small detail (probably somebody else has already point it out):

8<-------------------------------------------

4. Route Reply (RREP) Message Format

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |R|A|    Reserved     |Prefix Sz|   Hop Count   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |              32-bit Destination Sequence Number               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                                                               |
   |                128-bit Destination IP Address                 |
   |                                                               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                                                               |
   |                   128-bit Source IP Address                   |
   |                                                               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                           Lifetime                            |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

------------------------------------------->8

I guess the size of the 'Prefix Size' field should be 7 instead of 5.
(5 bits where fine for a 32-bit address,
but 7 are required for a 128-bit one).

So, maybe it should be like:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |R|A|   Reserved  |  Prefix Sz  |   Hop Count   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                                                               |
   ...

Regards,

	Manel Guerrero