Subject: Standardization?

From: John Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:12:41 +0200

Hello all,
I've been following the mailing list for some time now, but it seems that
there is no push at all towards standardization.  There are at least a dozen
protocols out there, each with different design goals and potentially
different audiences.  So my question is to whom are we targeting MANETs as a
working group?  What applications are we developing for?  We should address
these questions first by drafting up a charter, then address the question of
standardizing a protocol (Dec 1999 was the target date!)

If we cannot specify which services and under which circumstances all MANET
protocols should support, perhaps there is no reason for the working group?
I'd like to know what you all think on this.

Regards,
John

-- 
John WELLS
ENSIMAG/3A Télécomm/Réseaux - INRIA Rhône-Alpes
Virginia Tech MS/Computer Engineering - Networking and Visualization Lab
tél : 04 76 70 01 86 (en France)
    : 011 33 4 76 70 01 86 (from the USA)