Subject: Energy-aware broadcasting and multicasting

From: Jeff Wieselthier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:23:29 -0500

In response to the recent request for references on power-aware 
routing on the manet list, here is a listing of our publications in 
this area.

We have recently published numerous papers on energy-aware 
broadcasting and multicasting.

Most of our work addresses energy-efficient operation, in which the 
goal is to produce energy-efficient trees.

We address the impact of finite transceiver and bandwidth resources.

Papers [4], [13], [14] and [16] address the important case of 
energy-limited operation, in which a node dies when its energy is 
depleted.  We show how network lifetime can be extended dramatically 
by appropriate changes to the cost function used in constructing the 
trees.

These papers are not yet available on our website, although we hope 
to post them in the near future.

In the meantime, we would be happy to email our papers to anyone who 
is interested.

      Best regards,
      Jeff 

   Papers on Energy-Aware Broadcasting and Multicasting
   Naval Research Laboratory

Journal Articles

[1]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Algorithms 
for Energy-Efficient Multicasting in Static Ad Hoc Wireless 
Networks," Journal on Special Topics in Mobile Networking and 
Applications (MONET), 6-3, pp. 251-263, June 2001.

[2]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Efficient Broadcast and Multicast Trees in Wireless 
Networks," to appear in the Journal on Special Topics in Mobile 
Networking and Applications (MONET).

[3]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Efficient Multicasting of Session Traffic in Bandwidth- and 
Transceiver-Limited Wireless Networks," to appear in Journal of 
Cluster Computing.

[4]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Resource 
Management in Energy-Limited, Bandwidth-Limited, Transceiver Limited 
Wireless Networks for Session-Based Multicasting," to appear in 
Computer Networks.

Conference Papers

[5]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Multicasting in Energy-Limited Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks," 
Proceedings of IEEE MILCOM'98, Bedford, MA, pp. 723-729, October 1998.

[6]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Efficient Wireless Networking Techniques: Fundamental Issues 
and an Application to Multicasting in Ad Hoc Networks," Proceedings 
of the NATO RTO Information Systems Technology (IST) Symposium on 
Tactical Mobile Communications (RTO-MP-26), Lillehammer, Norway, pp. 
5-1-5-13, June 1999.

[7]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Algorithms 
for Energy-Efficient Multicasting in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks," 
Proceedings of MILCOM'99, Atlantic City, NJ, October/November 1999.

[8]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "On the 
Construction of Energy-Efficient Broadcast and Multicast Trees in 
Wireless Networks," Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, Tel Aviv, 
Israel, pp. 585-594, March 2000.

[9]  G. D. Nguyen, J. E. Wieselthier, and A. Ephremides, "The Effect 
of Bandwidth Limitations on Wireless Broadcasting and Multicasting," 
2000 Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Princeton 
University, pp. TA7a-7-TA7a-12, March 2000.

[10]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Algorithms 
for Bandwidth-Limited Energy-Efficient Wireless Broadcasting and 
Multicasting," Proceedings of IEEE MILCOM 2000, Los Angeles, CA, 
October 2000.

[11]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Energy 
Efficiency, Energy Constraints, and Admission Control in Wireless 
Networks: A Case Study in Session Multicasting," Proceedings of the 
38th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and 
Computing, pp. 103-112, October 2000.

[12]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Resource-Limited Energy-Efficient Wireless Multicast of Session 
Traffic," Proceedings of Hawaii International Conference on System 
Sciences (HICSS-34), Maui, Hawaii, January 2001.

[13]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Energy 
Efficiency in Energy-Limited Wireless Networks for Session-Based 
Multicasting," Proceedings of the 2001 Spring Vehicular Technology 
Conference, May 2001.

[14]  G. D. Nguyen, J. E. Wieselthier, and A. Ephremides, "The 
Effects of Multicast Group Size and Antenna Directivity on 
Energy-Constrained Multicasting," Proceedings of the 2001 Conference 
on Information Sciences and Systems, Johns Hopkins University, 
Baltimore, MD, March 2001.

[15]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "The Impact 
of Directional Antennas on Energy-Aware, Session-Based Multicasting 
in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks," Proceedings of IEEE MILCOM 2001, 2001.

[16]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Limited Wireless Networking with Directional Antennas: The 
Case of Session-Based Multicasting," to appear in Proceedings of IEEE 
INFOCOM 2002, New York, NY, to take place June 2002.