Subject: Kernel AODV implementation

From: "Luke Klein-Berndt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:12:04 -0500

I have just finished a Linux implementation of AODV which runs at the kernel
level. It is an update of Madhoc and uses Netfilter, instead of libcap to
capture packets entering and leaving the system. It also runs at the Kernel
level instead of user level. This hopefully means it integrates better with
the general flow of packets through Linux.

It is still being actively developed so comments and suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. Also since I am still working on it I have not spent a
lot of time on the installation process so it might take a little effort.
The good news is that once you have it compiled it is very stable. I have
been able to run streaming video, HTTP, and FTP over it with no problems.

Since all the source is available it might also be helpful for people
looking to implement other Ad Hoc routing protocols in the Linux Kernel.

I am currently working on adding Multicast support based upon the multicast
AODV draft. I am also working on making it easier to install and compile.

Kernel AODV:
http://w3.antd.nist.gov/wctg/aodv_kernel/

I have also written a short guide to AODV:
http://w3.antd.nist.gov/wctg/aodv_kernel/A%20Quick%20Guide%20to%20AODV%20Rou
ting.pdf

I am trying to make this implementation as usable as possible so please
contact with any suggestions.

Thank You,

Luke Klein-Berndt

............................................
 Luke Klein-Berndt, Computer Scientist
 Wireless Communications Technologies Group
 National Institute of Standards and Technology

 Phone:  (301) 975-8029
 E-Mail:  [email-masked]
 Web:  http://w3.antd.nist.gov/wctg/index.html
............................................

---

From: Yong Kang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:26:29 -0800 (PST)

I didn't catch the point why put a routing proto like AODV into kernel?
Does AODV affect the IP forwarding mechanism? 
could you tell why?

thanks
yong

---

From: Kui Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:51:27 -0700 (MST)

Hi:

I have observed that no person can guarantee transit loop free for AODV
even for the latest version (Correct me if I am wrong). Does anybody do
research in conformance testing for protocols in MANET? Or is it 
practically impossible? Which formal method is suitable to validate the
correctness of protocols in MANET?

Thanks for hints.

Kui

---

From: Jose Garcia-Luna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:03:19 PST

It is not impossible to prove instantaneous loops freedom.
The work needed entails showing that a given invariant
ensures instantaenous loop freedom if it is enforced
(done for AODV in the past) and showing that
all the messaging enforces the invariant. I'd say
work is in progress on the latter.

JJ

---

From: Jose Garcia-Luna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:11:09 PST

sorry...my message was cut..

I'd say work is in progress on the second part of
the proof.

JJ
---

---

From: Erik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Nov 2001 15:49:59 +0100

Great work.

I would like information on which draft of AODV your implementation is
based on and what features you have included/excluded. If I recall
MadHoc was based on draft v.5, have you made any updates to that?

/Erik Nordström