Subject: A query

From: Marwaha Shivanajay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:30:24 +0800

Hello all,
I've a query. Can we use IEEE 802.11a or IEEE 802.11b/Wi Fi for MANETs
(instead of simply IEEE802.11).
If that be the case and we have some multiple access technique (such that at
a given point of time more that one mobile device can access the same
channel unlike IEEE 802.11) then why not use some table based techniques to
utilize the increased channel resources so as to find routes/paths in
parallel with actual transmission of data.
The only constraint I feel for not using table based approaches was that
there was not adequate channel resource and that table exchanges would eat
up on vital channel resource. But if we do not have such constraint now, why
not try to improve upon the basic table routing techniques which might
perform quite well because routes will be ready to use whenever a device
wants to transmit a data to a destination as compared to finding routes as
and when required. In effect this may increase the speed of communication.

Kindly comment on this & correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanking you.

Yours Truly,
Shivanajay Marwaha
Research Scholar
ECE Dept.
National Univ. of Singapore