Subject: Implementation of MANET routing protocol

From: Fan Bai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:07:04 -0800

Hello, all,

Do you know how about the progress on the work of implementing the manet routing protocols for the real computer devices (PDA, laptop)? i.e., such as DSR for FreeBSD by CMU Monarch projects, AODV for linux by NIST and Mad-hoc. How about other protocols? 

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!  have a nice day!

Fan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 05:38:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi Fan,

We are currently completing an implementation of ZRP for Linux to run on 
laptops.

Happy Holiday Season!

Zygmunt.
==--==-==
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas                    tel: +1-607-255-3454
Wireless Networks Laboratory		                  
School of Electrical Engineering         fax: +1-607-255-9072 
Cornell University
323 Frank Rhodes Hall			 e-mail: [email-masked]
Ithaca, NY 14853			 
U.S.A                             http://www.ee.cornell.edu/~haas/wnl.html
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:55:05 -0500

>Thanks a lot for your help in advance!  have a nice day!

Fan/others:

Some additional info on recent manet implementations.

Over the past six months, Ron Lee and I have added a few technical modifications to the older INRIA-based OLSR Linux code release (version 3 spec) and have run some reasonably sized experiments (20+ mobile nodes) with both a large variety of laptops and some operational PDAs (iPAQs running Linux). The routing code was StrongARM cross-compiled for the iPAQs. As a simple, but useful application, I have used such working manet networks around the office and at home as robust, multi-hop stub network extensions. It works reasonably well in my experience.  In addition to Linux, I believe this code could easily be made to run under freeBSD (and perhaps Win32 without too much trouble) but we haven't tried a port.

FYI, for ns2 simulation studies we are using newer and separately developed source code than above and will eventually port this newer code to operational environments.  
-Joe

---

From: Dinesh Dharmaraju <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:53:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi Fai,
  You can find the UMD Linux implementation of TORA to run on laptops and
ns-simulation code for TORA at http://www.cshcn.umd.edu/tora.shtml
Thanks,
Dinesh

---

From: Chai Keong Toh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:19:11 -0500 (EST)

Fan -

I have an implementation of associativity-based routing since 1997 and
works pretty well with and without mobility. We evaluated communication
throughput, e2e delay, packet loss, route discovery time, route repair
time, FTP times, etc. It can also support HTTP, and TELNET.

Papers/articles describing its implementation can be found in:

C-K. Toh, George Lin, and Minar Delwar. Implementation and Evaluation of
An Adaptive Routing Protocol for Infrastructureless Ad Hoc Mobile
Networks(ABR Protocol Implementation), Proceedings of IEEE International
Conference on Computer Communications & Networks (IC3N), Las Vegas, 2000.

C-K. Toh, Richard Chen, Minar Delwar, and Donald Allen. Experimenting with
an Ad Hoc Wireless Network on Campus: Insights and Experiences. ACM SIGMETRICS
Performance Evaluation Review, Vol. 28, No. 3, pages 21-29, 2001.

and

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=193X3P3EXN&mscssid=03RVE3GTHUSM9L3W1XB7CL0GLGH32B95&isbn=0130078174

Enjoy.

====

---

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:55:35 -0600

Fan,

We have implemented DSR on FreeBSD running on laptops.  To make the
network mobile, we rent cars and drive them around, multihop routing
between them over WaveLAN, carrying substantial amounts of real data
traffic.  We have built networks up to 10 nodes this way.  This real
mobility and traffic exercises/stresses the routing protocol far more
thoroughly than occasially moving a laptop or two or carrying them
at pedestrian speeds.  Descriptions of our implementation and some
of our experiments are available in our papers in the February 2001
IEEE Personal Communications magazine, in the proceedings of WCNC 
2000, and in CMU CS technical report CMU-CS-99-116 from March 1999.
These papers are all available from the Monarch Project web pages
at http://www.monarch.cs.rice.edu/.  The source code of our FreeBSD
implementation is also available there.

Since those papers, we also added some of our new QoS features to our
DSR implementation, and demonstrated this at a DARPA GloMo meeting in
July 2000.  There, we drove around the parking lot at the hotel where
the meeting was held in New Jersey, and ran standard Microsoft Windows
NetMeeting between a moving car and a stationary node in the hotel,
multihop routing the NetMeeting traffic over the DSR network.  We ran
live audio and video between the car and the meeting room during
multiple public demos over the days of the meeting.  In these demos,
we ran unmodified NetMeeting on Windows machines, connected to the
FreeBSD laptops in the car and in the hotel, with FreeBSD laptops
forming all the other nodes in the network too.  This use of standard
NetMeeting meant we didn't need to develop our own video application,
and also meant we could demonstrate compatibility with standard
off-the-shelf real IP-based applications.

					Dave

--
David B. Johnson, Associate Professor
of Computer Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering

Department of Computer Science - MS 132    [email-masked]
Rice University                            http://www.cs.rice.edu/~dbj/
6100 Main Street                           Phone: (713) 348-3063
Houston, Texas 77005-1892 USA              Fax:   (713) 348-5930

---

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:11:14 -0800

Fan,

We have over 2yrs operational experience with TBRPF-FT (the original protocol
described in draft-ietf-manet-tbrpf-00.txt). The original implementation was
done in FreeBSD but we quickly ported to Linux and WinCE. We now use Linux
for most of our experimentation, but porting to another OS is straightforward.
Some of the platforms we've run on include generic Intel, Toshiba Libretto,
and Compaq Ipaqs - the Ipaq's have been our primary experimentation platform
since about February 2001. We have conducted practical experiments under a
number of scenarios, including a very interesting testbed sponsored by the
Office of Naval Research (ONR) in which we fly nodes around on radio-control
helicopters to simulate MANET operation on autonomous teams of unmanned
aerial vehicles (UAVs).

Richard Ogier has recently announced a source code release for the latest
version of the protocol, known as TBRPF-PT (draft-ietf-manet-tbrpf-03.txt).
This release includes the _same_ systems integration code that we have been
using in our operational testbeds for the past two years with the new protocol
code integrated in a modular fashion. In this way, we are able to get maximal
leverage from of our operational exprience while moving to the new protocol.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]