Subject: RE: SCTP for MANETs

From: Scott Corson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:21:37 -0500

> > Do you believe that AODV can replace OSPF, BGP, RIP, and 
> all other routing
> > protocols?  Do you think the Internet would be a better place if we
> > did that?  I tend to agree, but when I look at the tall 
> wall of legacy
> > my knees shake.  RIP has loops and look how far it got!!!
> 
> One thing about an ad hoc network is that it needs a routing protocol
> that converges quickly.  One of the things about "Internet" 
> routing protocols
> is that they have problems because they don't converge quickly enough.
> That is a problem for which I think we may have something to offer.

Of manet protocols, both AODV and TORA fit this mold rather nicely for
scalability and quick reactivity.

> 
> I'm not part of the BGP priesthood, but I know that one of the things
> that makes it drastically complicated is the number of bizarre policy
> knobs that are built into it.  This is an area where AODV (currently,
> and for the near future) offers nothing, like all other manet 
> protocols.
> Worse yet, it seems to me that "Internet" protocols don't care as much
> about hop count as "manet" protocols do.  On the other hand, 
> it's all we
> have for now to compare routes (well, not exactly, but close 
> enough for
> the discussion in this paragraph).

Neither AODV or TORA, for example, include domain-based policy routing. The
ability to avoid routing thru a given domain for your traffic, or to avoid
advertising routes of other domains, is a capability that the priesthood may
be loathe to give up in the name of scalability/quick reaction.

-Scott

---

From: Manish Karir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:31:33 -0500 (EST)

on a similar note...has anyone done work in the area of import/export
routes from MANET routing protocols (TORA,DSR,AODV....) to standard
internet routing protocols(OSPF,BGP,RIP...)...

What assumption do people generally make regarding the point of 
attachment of a MANET to fixed internet?? How does routing information 
flow across the point of attachment(s)??

manish

---

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:22:04 -0800

Manish,

> internet routing protocols(OSPF,BGP,RIP...)...

Route redistribution (importing/exporting routes) between MANET protocols
and standard internet routing protocols should be little different than
current internetworking practices. MANET routing protocols tend to deal
in host routes to a greater extent than traditional routing protocols, and
these may/may not be candidates for redistribution. But, redistribution of
aggregated prefixes should be no different than what is currently done
in multi-protocol routers, including commerical products (e.g. cisco
routers) and public-domain routing packages (e.g. gated, mrtd, zebra).

Fred
[email-masked]

P.S. Happy holidays to all.

---

From: Dan HE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 00:57:33 +0100

hello,

could you tell me what't the unit of  NODE_TRAVERSAL_TIME      40
in aodv v9? seconds? milliseconds?

thanks

Dan