Subject: AODV WG Last Call for Comments

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:37:41 -0500

ALL:

This message is to announce a 2 week "WG Last-Call for comments" schedule on the recent updated AODV ID submittal.  As discussed at the last meeting, the intent is to consider submitting this document for EXPERIMENTAL RFC.  Because of some content changes since the last go around we felt an additional WG Last Call was warranted. The document is, more specifically, draft-ietf-manet-aodv-10.txt that was recently announced.

Please note, this is not a general IESG Last-Call on these documents, which MAY occur at a later date if this document progresses for EXPERIMENTAL status consideration. Please read RFC2026 if you desire more clarification on EXPERIMENTAL RFC purpose and procedure.

Regards,
Joe and Scott

---

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:48:30 -0500

Hi,

I quote from RFC 2026 as to what "experimental" RFC are supposed to be
in the IETF.  

4.2

   Specifications that are not on the standards track are labeled with
   one of three "off-track" maturity levels:  "Experimental",
   "Informational", or "Historic".  The documents bearing these labels
   are not Internet Standards in any sense.

4.2.1  Experimental

   The "Experimental" designation typically denotes a specification that
   is part of some research or development effort.  Such a specification
   is published for the general information of the Internet technical
   community and as an archival record of the work, subject only to
   editorial considerations and to verification that there has been
   adequate coordination with the standards process (see below).  An
   Experimental specification may be the output of an organized Internet
   research effort (e.g., a Research Group of the IRTF), an IETF Working
   Group, or it may be an individual contribution.

From section 3.3

(d)  Limited Use:  The TS is considered to be appropriate for use
      only in limited or unique circumstances.  For example, the usage
      of a protocol with the "Experimental" designation should generally
      be limited to those actively involved with the experiment.

Has someone defined the "experiment"?  When will the "experiment"
be completed?   When will be AODV be reconsidered for "standards
track"?

Thanks,

Phil Neumiller