Subject: RE: Will GPS be very important in ad hoc network?

From: Marwaha Shivanajay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:17:00 +0800

Hi,
I have come across a v. useful paper which shows that using GPS info, the
route discovery flooding can be controlled in a given zone called the
routing zone thereby not flooding the entire network. I think this was by
Prof. Nitin Vaidya (most probably).

Other papers can also be found which use GPS info.  For military purposes
not only GPS but also UAVs can be used for getting locaion info.

But like military satellites that give v accurate location info, do
commercial satellites also give reasonably accurate location?
Also, I want to know whether it is cost affective and what is the coverage
and availability aspect of GPS in non-military applications of MANETs.

Regards,
Shivanajay Marwaha
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
RS, ECE Dept., NUS.
Singapore.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/

-----Original Message-----
From: veron@263 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 8:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Will GPS be very important in ad hoc network?

Hello all, 
       I'd like to know if a GPS is implemented in the node of the ad hoc
network, Will the topology management problem can be solved? and the routing
protocol can also be simpler than nowadays? If location can be sure of, the
communication problem can be changed into "power consumption(saving)
problem" and "MAC problem"? Thanks in advance, who have interests on this
fields.

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡veron
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡[email-masked]
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡2002-01-16

---

From: Daniel Oldham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:10:13 GMT

GPS is funded by and controlled by the U. S. Department of Defense (DOD) 
and the system was designed for the U.S. Military.
There are also many civil users of GPS and the selective availability was 
turned off in May 2000 to allow all users precise positions. The idea of 
using GPS with wireless devices are already beening developed but when 
used with ad hoc networks there are a number of problems. A few of those 
problems include the cost of extra hardware and the availablity of GPS 
signals inside buildings and other structures. The idea of using GPS to 
improve upon the ad hoc network algorithms are possible but appears to be 
outside the scope of this working group.

I hope that helps...
-----------------------------------------
Daniel R. Oldham Ph.D.
Computer Engineer
Satellite Networks and Architectures Branch
NASA Glenn Research Center
21000 Brookpark Road (MS 54-5)
Cleveland OH 44135
216.433.6307 - voice
216.433.8705 - fax
[email-masked]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 1/16/02, 3:17:00 AM, Marwaha Shivanajay <[email-masked]> wrote