Subject: RE: Evaluating the Scalability of 'On The Move' Routing Protocols

From: Scott Corson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:17:13 -0500

> On demand ad hoc networks do not scale well according to the 
> research at the 
> URL below.  Any comments on this work?

For starters...which on-demand protocol was considered?  Anyone know?

-Scott

> 
> http://www.msiac.dmso.mil/journal/wong32.html

---

From: Manish Karir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:36:35 -0500 (EST)

It seems like they used QualNet...and from the QualNet page they 
support: 
AODV Ad hoc On Demand Distance Vector
BGP Border Gateway Protocol  
DSR... Dynamic Source Routing

(http://www.scalable-networks.com/products/QualNet/networkprotocolmodels.html)

So I'd guess they were studying simulation of AODV(I think...)
though why they dont just say that directly is strange...

Also, has anybody on this list worked with/evaluated QualNet??
(Is QualNet replacing OPNET as the Army/CECOM favorite?? :)

manish

---

From: Mineo Takai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:56:05 -0800

I have been working with Dr. Bagrodia for several years, and have also
been using QualNet for my research at UCLA.  Although I was not involved
in that study, I saw his presentation on this a couple of times, and I
remember the study used AODV.

I think the emphasis of this study is the scalability of simulator,
rather than the scalability of AODV.  While the protocol itself can be
modified to support large scale networks, we cannot observe, analyze and
improve protocol behaviors in such large networks without an efficient
simulation tool.  That may be why the article does not explicitly state
the protocol used in the study (not to offend a specific protocol by
showing rather negative results for its scalability.)

The study explored large parameter space involving over 1,000 simulation
runs, and if I recall his presentation, the entire set of experiments
completed in less than a week.  I do not even try to create 10,000 nodes
in ns-2 or OPNET :-)

Mineo