Subject: Re: Shadowing in network simulator

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:14:38 -0500

At 10:42 PM 1/28/2002 -0500, Yi Lv wrote:
>Dear All:
>
>I am wondering if there's some network simulator that includes the
>shadowing in the propagation model. As i know, GloMoSim, ns-2 and OPNET
>all do not inlcude shadowing, while they have added or are going to add
>multipath fading. Is that because shadowing is not an main factor in
>ad-hoc network environment? Or is it hard to simulate?
Yi:

I just doublechecked and a shadowing model exists in recent ns2 release, in addition to the add-on multipath models. Shadowing is an important factor, how important it is would depend on the scenario (e.g., intrabuilding) and transmission parameters being modeled (its physics dependent).

>Thanks a lot!
>BR/Yi Lu

---

From: Vikram Kanodia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:50:37 -0600 (CST)

On a similar note....does anyone know (or has!!) how to implement
multirate support for IEEE 802.11 in ns....???

-Vikram

-- 

Department of ECE, Rice University | 713 348 3786 (O)| 713 664 5650(H)
WWW: http://www.ece.rice.edu/~kanodia