Subject: [manet] The Illusion of Spectrum Scarcity

From: John Peter Tapsell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:44:39 +0100

I suspect this is old news to everyone, but just incase...
<nl><nl>

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/02/1251233&mode=nested&tid=95
<nl><nl>

Comments!
<nl><nl>

JohnFlux

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:02:19 -0600

Hi John,

Interesting, but a rather low S/N??

:-)

For the record, my call letters are KH6DG.

I became involved with the question of who own spectrum during a Digital
Council Fires convention a few years ago.  From a Native American
perspective, it doesn't make sense for the FCC to sell spectrum rights on
the reservation to a third party who then includes that cost in the price
for providing spectrum access to the very same reservation community.  There
is feeling that the FCC should enforce the rules, but the spectrum belongs
to the community.  That way, the NA community can control who is using their
spectrum and avoid paying for something they feel they already own.  Much
like police enforce laws against the theft of private property.  That
argument didn't go far with the Clinton administration and I'm not sure what
is happening at this time.

However, I'm not sure how this issue impacts the problem of designing MANET
protocols.  I suspect that at some level, it will impact performance, but
not sure how.  The greatest problem I see with the potential for new ideas
and ventures is that of constructing a business model that investors can
have confidence in.  (Given the recent events in the US, that could be a
very big problem).  That could cause difficulties in implementing MANETs,
but the nice thing about MANETs is that you can start small.  At any rate,
any tools that could be developed which would demonstrate to potential users
the impact of MANET technology would probably help a lot. 

As for the technical details, I hold to the time honored Engineering
two-and-one-half rule.  That is, things tend to cost twice as much as
expected and work half as well.  (If what you are hearing is from a vendor,
add an order of magnitude to both ends of the rule).  I'm still not
convinced on the "multipath improves reception" argument.

:-)

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: John Peter Tapsell [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 9:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] The Illusion of Spectrum Scarcity

Comments!
<nl><nl>

JohnFlux

---

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:02:19 -0600

Hi John,

:-)

:-)

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: John Peter Tapsell [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 9:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] The Illusion of Spectrum Scarcity

Comments!
<nl><nl>

JohnFlux

---

From: John Peter Tapsell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:15:01 +0100

I can see how multipath could improve reception as long as the traffic
was low..   Hmm, random thought, you could have everyone be an http proxy
(ignoring security issues) hmm

I used to be call sign MFL62 - I have no idea how to get back into
HAM - hmm, I might just have to try again :)

JohnFlux
(Btw, I'm in the UK - are call signs globably unique?)

---

From: John Peter Tapsell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:15:01 +0100

JohnFlux

---

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 13:28:06 -0600

Hi Eric,

Small world, eh!

I was on the team from NMSU that conducted a survey of infrastructure needs
in Native American communities.  Dr Riley gave the talk, but I participated
in the Q&A.  Believe it or not, the USG still has the report on the web.

http://www.osec.doc.gov/eda/pdf/ATINC.pdf

You know, I remember that dns talk.  That was really good!  Up till then, I
really hadn't thought about it that much.  Your talk made it really jell for
me.

So, what do you think about the use of MANETs on the rez?  I don't think it
will work in the Dineh Nation.  Too much empty space between population
centers, but other communities are not so spread out and their mileage may
vary.

Also, what is the legal situation?  I know in Alaska, a local telephone
company was able to block the implementation of a wireless (cellular)
telephone system in an area they were not serving.  Can MANETS get around
the franchise problem? (anyone can jump in here).

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 1:00 PM
To: Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
Cc: John Peter Tapsell; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] The Illusion of Spectrum Scarcity 

> Council Fires convention a few years ago.

I'll be damned! Howdy John! Which talk did you give? I gave the one on the
dns.

Eric

---

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 13:28:06 -0600

Hi Eric,

Small world, eh!

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----

Eric