Subject: [manet] Mobile Ad-hoc Network in the 4G system

From: "Xiaoning He" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:15:43 -0700

Hi all

I have a few questions regarding the role of the Mobile ad-hoc network
in the 4G wireless system. Whether or not the ad-hoc type of network
will play an important role in the 4G system? If it will, what's the
killer app for the mobile ad-hoc network in 4G?

It seems to me that currently the mobile ad-hoc network is important for
military, disaster relief etc. But for daily personal life, I am not
sure. 

I am not sure whether it is the right place to raise question. Anyway,
please feel free to comment.

Regards

Xiaoning He, Ph.D
Research Engineer
181 Metro Drive, Suite 300
San Jose, CA 95110

Email: [email-masked]
Phone: +1 (408) 451-4737
Fax  : +1 (408) 573-1090

**********************Confidentiality Note**********************
Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this e-mail and
any attachment to it and may be covered by existing non-disclosure or
confidentiality agreements. If you are not the addressee (or authorized
to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to
anyone any information contained in this e-mail.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete it from your system. Thank you very much.
*************************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:53:06 -0400

Hi Xiaoning,

My reactions would be:

1. What is 4G? Specifically, other than bandwidth (the modulation scheme in the wireless links), how does it differ from 3G?

2. If 4G is basically an extension of the wired network, depends on geographically fixed base stations for packet routing and access to mobile hosts, the wireless link is a point-to-point link to individual mobile hosts, then clearly it is not the problem MANET is out to solve.

3. However, of course, a MANET could be made to connect to a 4G, or 3G, or Internet, wired networks.

Bert

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Xiaoning He [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 4:16 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [manet] Mobile Ad-hoc Network in the 4G system
> 
> 
> Hi all
>