Subject: RE: [manet] promiscuous mode

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:59:26 -0600

Hi Jack,

The two ad hoc protocols I am aware of that employ promiscuous mode are
Dynamic Source Routing (DSR), and Source Tree Adaptive Routing (STAR).

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Wang [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 11:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] promiscuous mode

--EXCITEBOUNDARY_000__7705a3bdad555dd407e51a76672516d1
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 Hi All: We know "promiscuous mode" can be used to monitor data traffic in a
network. How about its application in ad hoc networks?Is there any published
materials that I can refer to? Thanks. Jack 

------------------------------------------------
Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
The most personalized portal on the Web!

--EXCITEBOUNDARY_000__7705a3bdad555dd407e51a76672516d1
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 <table cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0 border=0 width=100% bgcolor=white><tr
height=200><td width=100%><font size=2 color=black><DIV>Hi All:</DIV><DIV>
</DIV><DIV>We know "promiscuous mode" can be used to monitor data traffic in
a network. How about its application in ad hoc networks?</DIV><DIV>Is there
any published materials that I can refer to?</DIV><DIV>
</DIV><DIV>Thanks.</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Jack
<BR><BR><BR><BR></DIV></font></td></tr></table><p><hr><b>Join Excite! - <a
href="http://www.excite.com/?PG=Email&SEC=Signature"
target=_top>http://www.excite.com</a></b><br>The most personalized portal on
the Web!

--EXCITEBOUNDARY_000__7705a3bdad555dd407e51a76672516d1--

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi John,

In general, use of promiscuous mode can lead to substantial saving in
control traffic in most of the reactive protocols, for example by
eavesdropping on the route replies and storing this information to reply
to future route requests.

Just as another point of reference, ZRP also uses promiscuous mode to
eavesdrop on the propagation of the route request queries, thus reducing
the unnecessary control traffic load. (This is one of the elements of 
the Query Control scheme in IERP).

Zygmunt.
===--====
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas                    http://people.ece.cornell.edu/haas 
Wireless Networks Laboratory		 http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
School of Electrical Engineering         
Cornell University			 tel: +1-607-255-3454
323 Frank Rhodes Hall			 fax: +1-607-255-9072
Ithaca, NY 14853			 e-mail: [email-masked]
U.S.A                             
	WNL web page: http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi John,

Zygmunt.
===--====