Subject: [manet] Re: Gateway Advertisements

From: Ryuji Wakikawa<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 01:39:42 +0900

Hello Fredrik.

In the draft, unnecessary packets basically indicates un-necessary
gateway advertisements. For example, if a gateway generates a route
advertisement every 1 sec, most of router advertisements are redundant
for manet nodes which have already had a global address. They may
update lifetime of their global address, but the interval(1sec) is
still too short for this operations.

Since flooding packets is easy to cause performance damage in manet,
our approach tries to reduce a number of packets which are flooded over
manet. I think manet nodes should not wait flooded advertisements from
gateway, instead manet node should discover gateways on their
initiative.

It is also difficult for gateways to decide TTL for flooded
advertisements. Expanding ring search technique can not be applied to
this situation, because advertisements should reach at the edge of
manet. It can imagine that unnecessary network-wide dissemination of
advertisements will occur when a gateway sets larger TTL than manet
scale.

regards,
ryuji

At Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:27:19 +0200 ,
Fredrik Alriksson (EAB) wrote:
> 
> Hi All,
> 
> In draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-00.txt you claim that sending gateway advertisements peridically would generate unnecessary packets in the Manet. Can you please explain how you came to that conclusion? Our simulation study on MIPMANET from '99 (http://www.e.kth.se/~e94_fal/mipmanet.pdf) indicates that it actually can decrease the number of packet transmissions in the MANET.
> 
> BR,
> Fredrik
> 
> ---
> Fredrik Alriksson, Ericsson Research
> Email: [email-masked]
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Ryuji Wakikawa<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 01:39:42 +0900

Hello Fredrik.

regards,
ryuji