Subject: [manet] Ad Hoc Address Autoconfiguration draft

From: Krishna Prabhala <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:36:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I would like to know if a new version of the Ad Hoc Address
Autoconfiguration draft for IPv4 by Perkins et al. will be out soon.  

I also have the following questions regarding autoconfiguration:

1) The range 169.254/16 (according to the Zeroconf working group) refers
to link-local addresses.  Can they still be used by a node for routing?  

2) In the expired draft, it is said that AREQ and AREP messages are ICMP
messages.  Are they Information Request/Reply messages?  Also, can these
messages be used with a proactive routing protocol?

3) It is possible that two nodes may acquire the same temporary IP
address when they boot up.  Though highly unlikely, it is also possible
that they may request for the same permanent IP address.  In such
circumstances, how do the nodes initiate DAD again with a different
temporary IP address?  I think the reserved fields (or may be another
field if more bits are needed) in the AREQ and AREP messages can be used
to specify a sequence/ID number to break the ties.  

Please clarify me if I am missing something.

I think the partitioning and merging concepts should also come under the
purview of the draft.

Thanks,
Krishna.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet