Subject: [manet] Interference range

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:35:15 -0500

2 more comments:

1.  Kaixin Xu wrote that he has found "that interference range is usually
1.7 times the transmitter-receiver distance."  From working with a variety
of different signals-in-space (modulation waveform types), this is about
the average of what we have seen as well, although the actual ratios have
ranged from less than 1 to greater than 3 times the transmitter-receiver
distances in actual fielded networks depending upon the type of
signals-in-space used.

2.  Martin Haenggi wrote that "if all nodes use the same power level, then
the effect of the interference is completely independent of that power
level, since the signal-to-interference ratio remains constant.  So, a
(global) reduction of the power level does not help alleviate the
interference problem."  Yes, but why should all nodes use the same power
level instead of adaptively using different power levels depending upon
which neighbor node (or set of neighbor nodes) they are trying to talk to.
Also, by reducing transmit power across the network, frequency reuse goes
up, which increases total network throughput.

Jim Stevens
JTRS Network Engineering Gruop
Rockwell Collins
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet