Subject: [manet] OS support for ad-hoc routing

From: Yongguang Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:07:20 -0600

I'd like to start a new topic, on OS support for ad-hoc routing.

We have seen lots of activity regarding implementation of various
routing protocols in general-purpose OS like Linux. Various system
issues regarding these implementations do not appear to have been
settled yet.  Often operating-system kernel modifications are
required, or implementations are not as clean and efficient as one
would wish.

Our investigations into these system issues has led to the development
of an API which could facilitate the implementation of ad hoc routing
protocols.  We also provide a user-space implementation of this API
in Linux, called the Ad hoc Support Library (ASL), and fresh
implementation of AODV and DSR to attest this API.

In the future, an ad-hoc routing API could possible be incorporated in
all OS kernels, easing the deployment of any ad-hoc routing protocol.
But now, this API probably needs extensions and refinements.  We hope
the MANET list can provide a good forum for this.

For further details please refer to our recent publication:

     Vikas Kawadia, Yongguang Zhang, and Binita Gupta, "System Services
     for Implementing Ad-Hoc Routing: Architecture, Implementation and
     Experiences", MobiSys 2003.

This paper and source code is at http://aslib.sourceforge.net .

Yongguang Zhang

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet