Subject: [manet] Frequent Link failures in MANET

From: "Liaw, Yong Shyang - LIAYS001" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:14:12 +1030

Hi,

I have performed some simulation using DSR on a static MANET. I am surprised to
find that even on a simple static linear chain  where nodes are stationary, the
link fails (and hence Route Error) happens very frequently i.e. Route Error
every 1-3 seconds.  I am using IEEE 802.11 with CTS/RTS as MAC, which shall
minimise collosion. I am using Opnet 8.1 for the simulation. For my simulation,
I have only 1 TCP connnection & no other traffic.

Has anyone also observed this behaviour (i.e. link breaks every 1-3 seconds) in
static MANET (especially using the NS2)?  I would really appreciate if you can
share with me your experience in this matter, so that I can confirm this
problem is not caused by Opnet's 802.11 model.  Thank you.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Petar Popovski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:26:41 +0100

Hello,

I think that the problem you encounter comes from the interaction between
TCP and 802.11 MAC. It has been investigated in:

S. Xu and T. Saadawi. "Does the IEEE 802.11 MAC protocol work well in
multihop wireless ad hoc
networks?" IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol 39, No. 6, pages 130 -137, June
2001.

and this is where you can get the paper:

http://academic.csuohio.edu/yuc/mobile03/0415-xu.pdf

Regards,
Petar