Subject: [manet] Some Questions on MANET multicast routing protocols

From: Er Inn Inn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:25:34 +0800 (SGT)

Hi,

    I am wondering whether we can classified the existing multicast
routing protocol into 2 groups: Proactive and Reactive, as in unicast
routing protocol. I have read some paper that classified the multicast
protocols into whether on-demand or proactive. How to differentiate
which protocol is on-demand and which one is proactive. As far as I
understand, as long as the multicast tree or multicast mesh is built
when it is needed (there is data to be sent) or it is initiated by the
source, we may classify it as reactive protocol. Is this theory holds?
What are the examples of proactive multicast routing protocol? Is
AMRoute one of the examples of proactive multicast routing protocol?

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Shubhranshu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 21:29:52 -0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Er Inn Inn" <[email-masked]>
 
> AMRoute one of the examples of proactive multicast routing protocol?

REACTIVE : makes on-demand searches for a
path e.g AODV, DSR, ZRP

PROACTIVE: constantly updates the routing
table at each node to maintain a nearly global
view on the network topology e.g DSDV

Warm Regards
Shubhranshu