Subject: [manet] Difference between OLSR and CEDAR

From: Young-Jun Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:34:34 -0500 (EST)

While reading the OLSD ID, I got impression that OLSR is very similar to CEDAR.
Especially, MPR(Multipoint Relay) of OLSR and Core of CEDAR look like almost
same thing to me.
Is there anyone who knows the BASIC difference between these two prtocols
or two functionalities (MPR and Core)?
Thanks in advance.

Young

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:59:12 -0800

> or two functionalities (MPR and Core)?

Young,

There are some similarities between the core nodes of CEDAR and the MPRs of 
OLSR, but there are also some big differences:

  - The core of CEDAR is ideally a minimum dominating set (MDS), which is 
    "source independent" in that (unlike the MPRs of OLSR) the decision of
    a core node to retransmit (forward) a flooded packet is independent of 
    which neighbor it came from.

  - In OLSR, an MPR is always an MPR with respect to one or more neighbors,
    called "MPR selectors".  Thus, MPRs are "source dependent".

  - In OLSR, there always exists (after convergence) a min-hop path that uses 
    only MPRs as intermediate nodes, whereas CEDAR does not provide min-hop paths.

  - Since CEDAR does not require min-hop paths, it can *potentially* achieve 
    more efficient flooding than source-dependent MPRs, since the number of 
    nodes in the core *may* be smaller than the number of MPRs that retransmit 
    a given flooded packet.  This is certainly true if the MDS is optimal
    (has the minimum number of nodes).

Regards,
Richard

P.S. Anyone who will be in the San Francisco area this Saturday evening (March 15) 
is invited to attend a chamber music concert in which I will play clarinet:

   http://www.paphil.org/