Subject: [manet] Some questions on multicast routing protocols]

From: Er Inn Inn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:32:30 +0800 (SGT)

Hi,

    Thanks for the explaination. However, they are all unicast routing
protocols. How about multicast routing protocol? Almost all proposed
multicast protocols (for MANET) built the multicast tree or mesh when
there are senders that wish to initiate multicast session... So could I
classify them as on-demand? I know that most of them need an
underlying unicast protocol. Those protocol maybe on-demand or
proactive. Therefore, I am wondering whether the classification to
proactive or reactive classes is not suitable for classifying
multicast routing protocols?

regards,
inn inn

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Er Inn Inn" <[email-masked]>
>
>>     I am wondering whether we can classified the existing multicast
>> routing protocol into 2 groups: Proactive and Reactive, as in unicast
>> routing protocol. I have read some paper that classified the
>> multicast protocols into whether on-demand or proactive. How to
>> differentiate which protocol is on-demand and which one is proactive.
>> As far as I understand, as long as the multicast tree or multicast
>> mesh is built when it is needed (there is data to be sent) or it is
>> initiated by the source, we may classify it as reactive protocol. Is
>> this theory holds? What are the examples of proactive multicast
>> routing protocol? Is AMRoute one of the examples of proactive
>> multicast routing protocol?
>
>
> REACTIVE : makes on-demand searches for a
> path e.g AODV, DSR , ZRP
>
> PROACTIVE : constantly updates the routing
> table at each node to maintain a nearly global
> view on the network topology e.g DSDV
>
> Warm Regards
> Shubhranshu

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Philippe Jacquet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:58:01 +0100

There exists MOLSR
http://hipercom.inria.fr/olsr/draft-ietf-manet-olsr-molsr.txt, a multicast
protocol based on the proactive protocol OLSR. There is also the protocol
XMAN http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-08142002-131727/.

I don't know about a multicast version of DSDV

On the reactive side, there is MAODV and a multicast version of DSR

Philippe

---

From: Kartik Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:30:08 -0500

Philippe,

Do you know where I can find the draft for multicast version of DSR?

Thanks,
Kartik