Subject: Re: [manet] Performance Comparison of QoS Routing for Adhoc Networks

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:35:54 -0800

At 11:44 PM 12/17/2002 -0800, Chandramouli Balasubramanian wrote:
>has anyone ever looked at the Performance Evaluation aspects of the Qos 
>Routing Protocols?

you might take a look at draft-perkins-manet-aodvqos-01.txt, and at OSPF's 
use for installation of label switched paths in MPLS. The latter could be 
used in a manet network, and a couple of weeks ago at a talk I gave in 
Singapore someone literally proposed that MPLS should be the manet solution 
of choice. Not entirely sure I agreed with them (ahem), but the technology 
would technically be able to be made to work.

As to performance evaluation, I'm not altogether sure what performance you 
are considering. That particular draft is essentially a traffic engineering 
proposal; since AODV searches for every possible route and finds one, this 
proposal basically truncates a search in the event that some constraint is 
not met, leaving room for another path being searched to succeed.

If you're thinking about the packet/octet/delay/jitter/whatever performance 
of the path chosen, it should be the performance of a path searched and 
having met that constraint. We can discuss whether the constraint is 
correctly specified or a sufficient set of constraints are specified to 
meet a particular purpose, but if the path meets the specified constraints 
it should operate like one that does.

If you're thinking about the performance of the algorithm finding such a 
path, especially the amount of time it takes to install one, I'm sure that 
will vary from network to network. If the only routers being searched are 
in orbits around various planets and the target is en route to alpha 
centauri, it might not converge very quickly.

I could think of several other things that I could describe as a 
performance evaluation. What performance do you want to evaluate? 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet