Subject: [manet] 2nd CFP: Special Issue on Group Communications in Ad hoc Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:28:29 -0400

<Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message> 

CALL FOR PAPERS 

Special Issue on Group Communications in Ad hoc Networks 
International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing (IJWMC) 

http://academic.udayton.edu/DucTran/research/cfpIJWMC.htm 

ISSN (PRINT): 1741-1084 
ISSN (ONLINE): 1741-1092 
Published by Inderscience Publishers 

Important Dates 
        Manuscript submission deadline: June 10th, 2004 
        Notification due date: September 10th, 2004 
        Camera-ready manuscript due date: November 1st, 2004 
        Publication: Issue 3, 2005 

Guest Editors 
        Dr. Duc A. Tran ([email-masked]) 
        Department of Computer Science 
        University of Dayton
        300 College Park 
        Dayton, OH 45429 

        Dr. Deb A. Agarwal ([email-masked]) 
        Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory       
        1 Cyclotron Road, MS 50B-2239 
        Berkeley, CA 94720                       

        Dr. Mark D. Yarvis ([email-masked]) 
        Intel Research and Development 
        Intel Corporation, JF3-206 
        2111 N.E. 25th Ave. 
        Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961 

Subject Coverage 

Since people frequently work beyond their office desk, it is expected that 
the next generation of communication networks will include rapid 
deployments of independent mobile users.  With the emergence of wireless 
technologies such as IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth, mobile users are enabled 
to connect to each other directly and wirelessly without any networking 
infrastructure, such as the Internet or infrastructure-based wireless 
networks.  Instead, users form mobile ad hoc networks (MANET). These 
networks are self-configurable and self-healable, and therefore easily 
adopted in a home environment and more cheaply deployed and maintained in 
a business environment.   

While ad hoc networks are rapidly gaining in popularity, group 
communication technologies have already shown their importance in 
education, entertainment, business, military, and other industries. 
However, thus far those technologies have mainly been designed for use in 
the Internet.  This special journal issue is focused on development of 
group communication solutions in ad hoc networks.  This work is 
significant to many interesting applications.   Examples are strategic 
collaboration among soldiers in a battlefield, collaborative data 
processing such as tracking and localization in sensor networks, 
collaborative intrusion detection among a group of distant surveillance 
cameras, to name just a few. Also relevant to  ad hoc networks is the 
concept of peer-to-peer (P2P). P2P networks are commonly used in the 
Internet to enable services that leverage a collection of peer nodes 
rather than a single infrastructure server, making them resilient to the 
failure of an individual node.  These properties are attractive for 
applications deployed in ad hoc wireless networks, which have similar 
requirements.   
  
Research on group communications in ad hoc networks is still in its 
infancy.  There are many open issues due to the deviation between 
resource, energy, and bandwidth availability of ad hoc networks and the 
quality of service required by group communication services.  Areas of 
interest for this special journal issue include, but are not limited to, 
the following topics:   
- Ad hoc networking architectures with inherent P2P communication support 
- Use of P2P technology for ad hoc network formation and management 
- Multicast routing in mobile ad hoc and sensor networks 
- Algorithms for reliable delivery and congestion control in ad hoc 
networks 
- Location and mobility management in ad hoc group communications 
- Algorithms for self-configuration, maintenance, and stabilization 
- Data management, operating system, and middleware for ad hoc group 
communications 
- Security and privacy in ad hoc group communications 
- Collaborative multimedia systems in ad hoc networks 
- Collaborative signal processing and information retrieval in ad hoc 
networks 
- Innovative applications of group communication in ad hoc networks 

Paper Submission 
Submissions should include a cover page with authors' names, affiliations, 
fax and telephone numbers and e-mail addresses. Please submit full papers 
in PDF via email to one of the guest editors. Submitted papers must not be 
previously published nor submitted for publication elsewhere. Accepted 
papers will 
not exceed 6000 words or 15 single spaced pages in IEEE Transactions 
style. Hard copies should only be sent if electronic submission is not 
possible. All manuscripts will be reviewed by a selected panel of 
referees. Original artwork and a signed copy of the copyright release form 
will be required for all 
accepted papers.