Subject: RE: [manet] OLSR - HNA in IPV6

From: "Dearlove, Chris (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:13:17 +0100

> It would might be easier if HNA packets
> > contained a 16 bit prefix length for both IPv4 and IPv6?

8 bits would do (or 7 if assume no 0 length masks). But if you
wanted to keep 4 byte alignment, it would have to be 32 bits
(or have a 24 bit reserved field).

> Hmm... Easier, yes ; compliant, no :-)
> I would have prefered prefix length too for the final RFC,
> but it was not
> done that way, and moreover it was not important at all.
> This a very small issue, and the RFC isn't going to be
> changed overnight,
> so it's better to go for the netmask.

If this area were revisited later, a more important issue
might be an IPv4 ad hoc network, but attached to an IPv6
network, so HNAs might carry a different address type to
HELLOs/TCs/MIDs. (Could use the 24 bit reserved field, or
at least one bit of it if put before the address.) And then
there are some other HNA issues as well, and then ...

FWIW, my implementation follows Cedric's advice, for simplicity
as well as compliance.

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet