Subject: RE: [manet] Humid IPv6 addresses

From: "Dearlove, Christopher \(UK\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:50:54 -0000

> Could you please comment on the following I-D ?
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mutaf-ipv6humid-02.txt

You're assuming, without specifying, a hash function from a
name to 64 bits. But even with a really good hash function
you have the "John Smith" problem - you can't separate names
that start the same. (As a data point, round here within
a couple of hundred people there's at least one clash of
names.) And what about me? Jean-Francois Le Roux doesn't
have to remember his punctuation, but am I Christopher
(my given name, and as I recall, the one on the IDs I'm
involved in) or Chris (as in my email address - which in
this case I didn't choose)?

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:13:09 +0100

Hi, 

> name to 64 bits. But even with a really good hash function

(quick note: SHA-1 is specified in the I-D)

> this case I didn't choose)?

The program (possibly GUIed) will tell me 
to enter my full name (and possibly a nickname too). 
So I can enter:
Fullname: "Pars Mutaf".

My host will configure an address from 
`humid "Pars Mutaf"`. (I have sent the code for `humid` 
command in my previous mail. Take a look at the README
file.)

You have the same program. If you want to reach me, you 
will tell the same program to add a new user:

Add MANET user
==============
Fullname: Pars Mutaf
Nickname: pars (this is a nickname you give to me, 
it has local significance only)

The program will add the IPv6 address obtained
from `humid "Pars Mutaf"` and the nickname pars
to the /etc/hosts file. More precisely:

fe80::573a:ffc8:6648:540e pars

At this point you can reach me using standard applications
using the DNS name "pars".

pars

ps: For the name collisions, there are two possible approaches.
A collision count may be used (this was proposed in version 01). 
Or, the user may be required to find a unique name and we may 
say it his/her problem.

---

From: Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:51:07 +0100

The code and internet draft 
are "together" available here:

http://www.freewebs.com/pmutaf/humid.html

Thanks,
pars