Subject: [manet] CFP - AJICT Journal Feature Topic

From: "Amoakoh Gyasi-Agyei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:17:15 +1000

reminder: submission deadline feb 28, 2007
 
CALL FOR PAPERS: CROSS-LAYER DESIGN OF MULTIHOP WIRELESS NETWORKS

Background
Packaging of communications functionalities into independent protocol
layers has been the traditional way of designing communications
protocols, whereby each layer receives service from the underlying
layer through abstracted service access points. This means of protocol
design is now seen as a
performance restriction in some situations. Hence, there is a current
drive towards cross-layer protocol engineering and inter-layer
communications/interactions in order to optimize system design across
protocol layers to achieve better performance.
Multihop wireless networks (MWNs) including vehicular networks are
infrastructureless networks of nodes that can function as both hosts and
clients. Variants of MWNs include wireless sensor networks, wireless ad
hoc networks, wireless home networks and wireless mesh networks. Such
networks have many applications, including environmental monitoring for
safety, security and climate change, formation of an outdoor community
network, transporation, broadband access network to the Internet and an
indoor home network. Interest in wireless multihop networks is enhanced
by their relatively low deployment costs as they do not require an
infrastructure and complicated network preplanning,
just to name a few. MWNs face several fundamental issues, including
limited capacity, how to
organize the network to achieve efficient and reliable communication,
and cooperation among the distributed nodes.
The efficient performance of a multihop wireless network serving
multiple users concurrently
depends largely on its Media Access Control (MAC) layer. Hence,
contributions in cross-layer MAC for
MWNs are interesting. So far research contributions on opportunistic
communication has been limited to
single-hop, single-carrier and delay-tolerant terrestrial wireless
networks. Hence, extension of
opportunistic communications to multi-carrier multihop networks
including multihop networks on
moving platforms (vehicular networks) serving both real-time and
non-real-time applications remains
open.
Optimum tradeoff between competing design issues, such as throughput
(spectral efficiency),
fairness and traffic QoS requirements (e.g. delay constraints) are not
fully answered yet. Another issue
yet to be explored is the potential impacts of cross-layer design on
device energy consumption. The scope, depth and how nodes in distributed
wireless networks learn about channel conditions of neighbors also
needs further research inquiry. Many proposed schemes for wireless
networks are user-centric. However,
as popularity of wireless multimedia communications increase, many
service users may have multiple
different flows (applications) active simultaneously. Hence, the fact
that a user's overall service is
satisfactory does not guarantee that all its individual flows receive
satisfactory service. This requires an
appropriate attention on channel-sensitive flow-centric wireless
protocols that attempt to meet the QoS
demands of individual flows active on the same or different users
concurrently.

Scope of Contributions
This special issue of the AJICT is devoted to the research (both
analytical & simulation studies), testbeds,
implementation and regulatory activities within the industry, regulatory
bodies and academia on all topics
related to cross-layer design of multihop wireless networks. Articles
for this special issue are solicited
through an open call-for-papers from experts and practitioners in the
field. Topics of interest include, but
not limited to:
* Pertinent issues in cross-layer design of multihop wireless networks
* ISO/OSI-friendly vs ISO/OSI-hostile cross-layer techniques for MWNs
* Framework for cross-layer design of multihop wireless networks
* Dependence of node/user population/density on capacity of multihop
wireless networks
* Cross-layer multiple access protocols for multihop wireless networks
* Cross-layer routing protocols for multihop wireless networks
* Cross-layer techniques to enhance capacity and security in multihop
wireless networks
* Cross-layer radio resource management in multihop wireless networks
* Impacts, future and business case of cross-layer design in multihop
wireless networks
* The future of cross-layer design in multihop wireless networks
* Applications of multimedia communications in multihop wireless
networks
* TCP enhancements in multihop wireless networks via cross-layer design
* Cross-layer schemes enhancing efficiency, reliability and cooperation
among nodes
* Implications of multimode transceivers in cross-layer multihop
wireless networks
* Interactions between physical, application, and link layers in
multihop networks
* Comparison between user-centric, flow-centric and connection-centric
protocol designs
* Impacts, challenges, pros and cons of cross-layer protocol design in
MWNs
* Comparison between link/rate adaptation and opportunistic
communications in MWNs
* Efficient techniques for exchanging inter-layer information in
multihop networks
* Efficient techniques for enhancing multiuser diversity gains in
cross-layer design
* Applications of cross-layer design in practical wireless networks
(e.g. IEEE 802.11,
WiMAX/IEEE 802.16).

Submission
Articles should be written in IEEE Transactions format, and should be
original and not published or
submitted for potential publication in another periodical. Articles
should be well-written, be technically
sound and where possible of tutorial nature. All submissions will be
reviewed based on technical merit
and relevance by peer experts in the specialty of the topic. Authors are
encouraged to include
mathematical and analytical basis of their contributions. Guidelines for
prospective authors can be found
on-line at http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/ajict. Prospective
authors should submit their manuscripts
as a pdf file online and also e-mail their manuscripts as attachment
along with the title, the abstract, and
the address for correspondence as a separate text attachment to the
Guest Editor by the schedule below.

Schedule
* Online Manuscript Submission Deadline:    February 28, 2007
* Notification of Review Outcome:                   April 30, 2007
* Proof-Read Manuscript Due:                         May 15, 2007
* Expected Publication Date:                           June 12, 2007

Guest Editor
A. Gyasi-Agyei, Central Queensland University, AUSTRALIA,
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet