Subject: [manet] Second IEEE Workshop on Networking Technologies for Software Defined Radio Networks (2007), Sub deadline: April 9th

From: "wenyuan xu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:30:17 -0400

Apologies for cross-postings. Please send to interested colleagues and
students

* *

*Second IEEE Workshop on Networking Technologies for Software Defined Radio
(SDR) Networks*

* (Held in Conjunction with IEEE SECON 2007)
June 18, 2007, *San Diego, California, USA

Wireless systems have historically operated in relatively static frequency
bands allocated to a single type of service.  This compartmentalization of
spectrum offered few incentives for common designs across frequency bands
and limited opportunities for dynamic spectrum sharing.  More recently,
there has been a push to make more spectrum available, and in response there
has been significant research towards developing new classes of "cognitive"
radios and their associated protocols. Cognitive radios (CRs), or more
generally software defined radios (SDRs), can tune their communication stack
to take advantage of spectrum opportunities, adapt to a wide variety of
radio interference conditions, and employ protocols that allow for
collaboration between previously incompatible technologies. Dynamic physical
layer adaptation is achieved by scanning available spectrum, selection from
a wide range of operating frequencies, rapid adjustment of modulation
waveforms and adaptive power control.  A suitably designed cognitive radio
with a software-defined physical layer would be capable of collaborating
with neighboring radios to ameliorate interference using higher-layer
protocols.  These higher layer coordination protocols could range from
etiquette mechanisms to fully collaborative multi-hop forwarding.  The
potential impact of cognitive radios upon both commercial and military
wireless communications is great as they could allow for improved spectrum
utilization and improved interoperability between wireless data standards.

The workshop builds upon the success of the First IEEE Workshop on
Networking Technologies for Software Defined Radio (SDR) Networks. Although
the potential for CR/SDR platforms is great, there remains a need for
developing, testing, and prototyping the protocols that will allow the CR
platforms to achieve their promise. The purpose of this workshop is to
facilitate the exchange of cutting-edge research in cognitive radio and
software defined radio technologies. The focus of this workshop is to
explore the underlying networking and communication protocols needed to
facilitate the interconnection of CR/SDR platforms. Since CR/SDR research is
taking place across multiple communities, ranging from academic to
government to industry, from physical layer to networking to hardware
researchers, we intend for this workshop to serve as a forum for
cross-pollination and collaboration that will accelerate the deployment and
eventual success of CR/SDR platforms. Original manuscripts that focus on the
analytical modeling, protocol/algorithm design, and/or experimental studies
of the following topics of interest are sought:

   - Spectrum Sensing and Spectrum Management
   - Cognitive Radio Test-Beds and Hardware Prototypes
   - DSA/Cognitive Radio Standardization Activities (e.g. IEEE P1900,
   IEEE 802.22)
   - Accreditation, Trust, & Security Mechanisms for DSA Networks
   - Cross-Layer Protocol Design
   - Cooperation and Game-Theoretical Protocols for Cognitive Radios
   - Practical Experience and Systems Implementations

*Submission Instructions:*

All submissions must be full papers in .pdf format. Papers should be sent to
the email address [email-masked] . Papers must not exceed
8 single-spaced, two-column pages using at least 11 point size fonts
on 8.5x 11 inch pages. The workshop website is
http://www.winlab.rutgers.edu/~wenyuan/sdr07/index.htm
<http://www.winlab.rutgers.edu/%7Ewenyuan/sdr07/index.htm>.

Important Dates:

Manuscript Submission Due: April 9, 2007, 5pm EDT

Acceptance Notification:  April 18, 2007

Camera-Ready Paper Due: May 5, 2007
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet