Subject: [manet] Announcing the 2007 MANIAC Challenge

From: "Luiz DaSilva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:04:56 -0400

Announcing the 2007 Mobile Ad-hoc Networking Interoperability And
Cooperation (MANIAC) Challenge

The MANIAC Challenge is an NSF-funded competition to better understand
cooperation and interoperability in ad hoc networks.  Competing teams of
students/researchers will come together to form a large (we estimate 30-50
nodes) ad hoc network. The organizers will generate traffic destined to each
team. Teams will be judged based on how much of the traffic destined to them
makes it through the network, how little energy they consume in forwarding
traffic, and a subjective evaluation of the quality of their solution's
design. To get their traffic across the network, each team must rely on
other teams' willingness to forward traffic for them.

The competition will be co-located with IEEE Globecom, in Washington, DC,
November 25-26, 2007. To participate, the first step is to check out our
website at www.maniacchallenge.org <http://www.maniacchallenge.org/> . 

We have developed software and an API to allow teams to program their nodes
and override forwarding decisions made by the routing protocol. We have also
developed network monitoring and management software to keep track in
real-time of what is going on during the competition.  If you plan to attend
IEEE INFOCOM in Anchorage in May, we will be demonstrating the software
architecture that supports the competition there.

If you are interested in forming a team, you can download the software from
www.maniacchallenge.org <http://www.maniacchallenge.org/> . Please let us
know of any suggestions, questions or comments.

Best regards,

Luiz A. DaSilva and Allen B. MacKenzie

Virginia Tech

Principal Investigators, MANIAC Challenge

Luiz A. DaSilva

Assoc. Prof. of Electrical and Computer Engineering

Virginia Tech

ph: 703-387-6039   fax: 703-528-5543

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet