Subject: [manet] CFP IJSWIS Special Issue on Mobile Services and Ontologies

From: MoSO <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:34:44 +0100

***We apologize for cross-postings***

Call for Papers

International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems
http://www.idea-group.com/journals/details.asp?ID=4625

Special Issue on Mobile Services and Ontologies

Submission Deadline: May 31, 2007

Guest Editors

- Christoph Bussler (Cisco Systems, Inc., USA)
  [email-masked]
- Birgitta König-Ries (University of Jena, Germany)
  [email-masked]
- Dumitru Roman (DERI Innsbruck, Austria)
  [email-masked]
- Jari Veijalainen (University of Jyvaskyla, Finland)
  [email-masked]

Scope and Topics

Today, computers are changing from big, grey, and noisy equipment
on our desks to small, portable, and constantly connected devices
most of us are carrying around. This new form of device mobility
imposes a shift in how we view computers and the way we use them.

Services offer the possibility to overcome the limitations of individual
mobile devices by making functionality offered by others available on
an as-needed basis. Thus, using the service-oriented computing
paradigm in mobile environments will considerably enlarge the variety
of accessible applications and will enable new business opportunities
in the mobile space by delivering integrated functionalities
across wireless networks. Network-hosted mobile services will allow
mobile operators and third party mobile service providers to extend
their businesses by making their services available to a broader
audience (e.g. developers, service providers, etc.);
device-hosted services will allow great potential for major innovations
for applications and services that can be provided to individual mobile
device owners.

These mobile services offer functionalities and behaviours that can be
described,advertised, discovered, and composed by others.
Eventually, services will be able to interoperate even though they
have not been designed to work together. This type of interoperability
is based on the ability to understand other services and reason
about their functionalities and behaviours when necessary. In this
respect, mobileservices could benefit from the techniques developed
for the Semantic Web. Use of Semantic Web languages, techniques
and technologies, including ontologies, semantic annotations (of both
content and services), automatic metadata extraction, reasoning,
etc. may offer new capabilities for mobile applications. However,
standard semantic web tools and technologies are too heavy-weight
for small mobile devices. The need to appropriately combine and
adapt mobility and semantic grounded data sharing has
generated and is continuously triggering challenging questions in
several areas of computer science, engineering and networking.

This special issue will cover research problems around methods,
concepts, models, languages and technologies that enable new
opportunities in the mobile space through adoption, usage, and
integration of mobile services with ontologies and other Semantic
Web enablers. Of particular interest are methodologies and
technologies that will allow automatic tasks to be performed with
respect to mobile servicesand the use of ontologies and semantic
techniques in this context.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following which
involve ontologies or other Semantic Web capabilities:

- architectures for mobile internet services
- languages for describing mobile services
- discovery and matchmaking of ontology based mobile services
- adaptive selection of mobile services
- ontology management in mobile environments
- contracting and negotiation with ontology-based mobile services
  (service level agreements)
- semantic annotation and reasoning involving semantic metadata
- combining thematic metadata with locational/georeference metadata
   in mobile applications
- approaches to composition of ontology based mobile services
- invocation, adaptive execution, monitoring, and management of
  mobile services
- interaction protocols and conversation models for mobile services
- ontology-based security and privacy issues in mobile services
- mobile service applications
- analysis and design approaches for mobile services
- reasoning with mobile services
- ontology-based policies for mobile services
- tools for discovery, matchmaking, selection, mediation, composition,
  management, and monitoring of mobile services
- mobile service development
- multi agent systems and mobile services

Submission Process

Submissions to this special issue should follow the journal's guidelines
for submission
(www.idea-group.com/journals/details.asp?ID=4625&v=guidelines).
After submitting the paper, please also inform guest editors by an
email with the paper ID assigned by the submission system. Papers
must be of high quality and should clearly state the technical issue(s)
being addressed as related to mobile services and ontologies.
Research papers should present a proof of concept for any novel
technique they are proposing. Case studies should discuss the
significance and applicability of their proposed architecture/system. If
a submission is based on a prior publication in a workshop or
conference, the journal submission must involve substantial advance
(a min. of 30%) in conceptual terms as well as in exposition (e.g.,
more comprehensive testing/evaluation/validation or additional
applications/usage).

All papers must be submitted by May 31, 2007. The editors
recommend that the number of pages should not exceed 35. All
papers are subject to peer review performed by three established
researchers selected from a panel of reviewers  established for this
special issue. Accepted papers have an opportunity for further
revision and an additional round of reviewer feedback. Information on
the journal with online submission can be found at:
http://www.ijswis.org.
Please submit manuscripts through that online system.

Online call for this special issue can be found at
www.idea-group.com/journals/details.asp?ID=4625&v=callForPapersSpecial

Important Dates
--------------------
- Submissions: May 31, 2007
- Completion of first round of reviews July 31
- Notifications: August 15, 2007
- Revised papers: October 31, 2007
- Notifications of final acceptance: November 30, 2007
- Final papers: December 31, 2007
- Publication: First or Second issue 2008 (Vol. 4, issue 1 or 2)

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet