Subject: [manet] Call for Papers - LOCALGOS 2007

From: "Hannes Frey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:58:41 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
         Our apologies if you receive duplicates of this posting.
    Please feel free to distribute it to those who might be interested.
  -----------------------------------------------------------------------

  ***********************************************************************
  *                           CALL FOR PAPERS                           *
  *                                                                     *
  *                            LOCALGOS 2007                            *
  *                                                                     *
  * First International Workshop on Localized Algorithms and Protocols  *
  *                    for Wireless Sensor Networks                     *
  *                  http://ants.dif.um.es/localgos07                   *
  *                                                                     *
  *       In conjunction with the International Conference on           *
  *       Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS 2007)          *
  *                           www.dcoss.org                             *
  *                                                                     *
  *                         June 18 - 20, 2007                          *
  *                      Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA                      *
  ***********************************************************************

Wireless sensor networks consist of a large set of embedded devices each
having limited computation and communication capabilities. By using wireless
multihop communication, small chunks of collected data are aggregated and
sent towards some selected data sinks. In this way individual measurements
emerge to a global picture of the entire physical phenomenon. Wireless
sensor networks enable rapid deployment, require minimum maintenance effort,
and have minimum influence on the measured phenomenon. It is envisioned that
in many application scenarios sensor networks will lead us beyond the scale,
precision, and detail of what we can measure with traditional techniques
today.

Sensor networks may have hundreds or thousands of nodes, with limited energy
supplies and communication capabilities. Thus, it is of paramount importance
for the networking algorithms and protocols to be able to scale with a very
large number of devices. The main paradigm shift to achieve those desirable
properties is to apply localized (or greedy) schemes as opposed to existing
protocols requiring global information. Localized algorithms are distributed
algorithms where simple local node behavior achieves a desired global
objective. Localized protocols provide scalable solutions, that is,
solutions for wireless networks with an arbitrary number of nodes, which is
the main goal of this plan.

This workshop will bring together researchers working in the field of
localized algorithms and protocols for wireless sensor networks. The main
objective is on data communication, topology control, sensor coverage, and
sensor localization. Data communication problems are those in which one or
multiple sources need to send data to one or multiple destinations. They
include among others, unicast and multicast routing, geocasting and data
gathering. In the routing problem a path is created to allow the data source
to send packets to one (unicast) or multiple (multicast) destinations.
Geocasting consist of sending a data packet to all sensor nodes within a
pre-defined geographic area. In the data gathering problem, data from a set
of sensor nodes is collected and transmitted toward one or multiple
(eventually mobile) base stations. Topology control algorithms and protocols
include problems such as neighbor detection, boundary detection, and network
organization problems in which a subset of the original topology satisfying
some properties is obtained. Examples of topology control problems are
computation of dominating sets, planar graphs, and energy efficient sub
topologies. Sensor coverage denotes the ability of a sensor network to cover
each point in a given area by a certain minimum number of sensor nodes.
Localized coverage control includes energy conserving sleep cycles, and
autonomous mobile sensor nodes which collaboratively move to achieve a
desired area coverage. The majority of localized protocols require that
nodes are aware of their physical position. In relative positioning such
information is made available by means of distance measurements between
neighboring nodes and triangulation, while the distance between two neighbor
nodes is estimated by measuring the received signal strength.

SCOPE
-----

The main objective of the workshop is to present state of the art research
results in the area of localized algorithms and protocols for wireless
sensor networks. The workshop covers among others the following research
topics (not limited to):

- Unicast and multicast routing
- Broadcasting
- Energy-efficient and bandwidth-efficient communication 
- Security in wireless sensor networks
- Data management, query processing and data delivery
- Topology construction and maintenance in wireless sensor networks
- Localized protocols for duty-cycled sensor networks
- Geocasting techniques for wireless sensor networks
- Auto-configuration and network formation protocols and algorithms
- Relative positioning algorithms
- Lower bounds on information exchange required for localized solutions
- Network graph properties supporting localized protocols
- Worst and average case analysis on the deviation from optimal solutions

IMPORTANT DATES
---------------

Manuscript Submission: March 23, 2007
Acceptance Notification: April 15, 2007
Final Manuscript Due: May 01, 2007

PAPER SUBMISSION
----------------

Submitted manuscripts may not exceed 12 single-spaced pages using 12-point
size font on 8.5x11 inch pages, including figures and tables. References may
be included in addition to the 12 pages. Submissions will be judged on
correctness, originality, technical strength, significance, quality of
presentation, and interest and relevance to the workshop attendees.
Submitted papers may not have appeared in or be under consideration for
another conference or a journal. Accepted papers will be published in the
workshop proceedings of the International Conference on Distributed
Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS 2007).

Please submit papers via Easy Chair by using the following URL:
http://www.easychair.org/LOCALGOS07/. In case of trouble with the submission
you may send your publication by email to both program co-chairs (pedrom at
dif.um.es, frey at imada.sdu.dk).

GENERAL CHAIR
-------------

Ivan Stojmenovic, SITE, University of Ottawa

PROGRAM CO-CHAIR
----------------

Pedro M. Ruiz Martinez, University of Murcia, Spain
Hannes Frey, IMADA, University of Southern Denmark 

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
-----------------

Michel Barbeau, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 
Raffaele Bruno, IIT-CNR, Italy 
Silvia Giordano, University of Applied Science, SUPSI, Switzerland 
Isabelle Guerin Lassous, INRIA Rhone Alpes, France 
Francois Ingelrest, EPFL, Lausanne, Swizerland 
Lars M. Kristensen, University of Aarhus, Denmark 
Thomas Kunz, Carleton University, Canada 
Miguel A. Labrador, Univ. South Florida, USA 
Hai Liu, SITE, University of Ottawa, Canada 
Norbert Luttenberger, Universitat Kiel, Germany 
Pietro Manzoni, Univ. Politecnica de Valencia, Spain 
Mikhail Nesterenko, Kent State University, USA
Luis Orozco, Univ. Castilla La Mancha, Spain 
Josep Paradells, Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Spain 
Sumesh J Philip, Western Illinois University, USA
S. S. Ravi, State University of New York at Albany, USA 
Steffen Rothkugel, University of Luxemburg 
Stefan Ruehrup, SITE, University of Ottawa, Canada 
Gregor Schiele, Universität Mannheim

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet