Subject: [manet] Remote Loop-free Alternate Paths

From: "Hokelek, Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:50:01 -0500

Dear manet WG members,

The revised version of the remote LFAP draft is available in the
following link:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hokelek-rlfap-01.txt

The revisions are:
- Section 3.2 is modified for describing new LFAP algorithm
- Section 3.6 is added for multicast tree repair discussion
- Section 4 is added for the coverage analysis and convergence
experiments.

The draft targets the  fast reroute work in the "rtgwg" but I am sending
to this list as well  since it is very applicable to MANET environment.
I would very much  appreciate  if you could review it and provide us
with your comments. I would like  to present  it in the manet WG if
there is a sufficient interest. Ian Chakeres pointed us to look at the
draft "draft-mase-manet-loopdetect", we believe that our work is
complementary to this work since after detecting loops by using the
"draft-mase-manet-loopdetect", loop-free alternate paths (LFAPs)
calculated by our draft can be installed for the fast convergence.

In summary,  for networks using link state routing protocol (e.g., OSPF
and IS-IS), we pre-calculate loop-free alternate paths (LFAPs)
protecting  link/node failures and immediately install these LFAPs when
the  failure is detected. We extend the IETF local LFAP proposal, which
can only cover a single link/node failure, by introducing the remote
LFAP concept. This concept: 1) provides better coverage by using the
remote  LFAPs, and 2) handles multiple simultaneous failures which occur
more  likely  in MANET environments. Using our method, link state
routing protocol  parameters (e.g., timers) can be set to more stable
values (and hence  LSA overhead can be reduced) without increasing the
routing convergence  time  since the temporary fast routing convergence
can be provided by  pre-computed LFAPs. 

Regards,
Ibrahim Hokelek

|---------------------------------|
|  Ibrahim Hokelek                | 
|  Telcordia Technologies, Inc.   |
|  Piscataway, NJ                 |
|  Phone: 732-699-3905            |
|  Fax:   732-336-7013            |
|---------------------------------|
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet