Subject: Re: [manet] [Autoconf] call for consensus about link local address support

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:39:22 +0200 (CEST)

Ulrich,

Why should we work on a protocol that protects against invalid usage?
L2 won't work anyway. And we only help the misusing nodes.
Let's forget this useless effort.

Teco.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Henning Rogge <[email-masked]> wrote:
[...]
>
> I agree with Henning. It is not good enough to assume unique MAC addresses
> or good random number generators. I think that this is the reason why
DAD is
> required in RFC4862. In such a case mentioned by Henning, devices could
> indeed use the same seed for the random number generator and create the
same
> addresses.
Unique MAC addresses are good enough...[...]

Yes, *if* they are unique. But this cannot always be asumed.

Ulrich