Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-smf-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:04:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Simplified Multicast Forwarding
	Author(s)       : Joseph Macker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-smf-12.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2011-07-10

   This document describes a Simplified Multicast Forwarding (SMF)
   mechanism that provides basic IP multicast forwarding suitable for
   limited wireless mesh and mobile ad hoc network (MANET) use.  It is
   mainly applicable in situations where efficient flooding represents
   an acceptable engineering design trade-off.  It defines techniques
   for multicast duplicate packet detection (DPD), to be applied in the
   forwarding process, for both IPv4 and IPv6 protocol use.  This
   document also specifies optional mechanisms for applying reduced
   relay sets to achieve more efficient multicast data distribution
   within a mesh topology, as compared to classic flooding.
   Interactions with other protocols, such as use of information
   provided by concurrently running unicast routing protocols, or
   interaction with other multicast protocols, as well as multiple
   deployment approaches are described.  Distributed algorithms for
   selecting reduced relay sets and related discussion are provided in
   the appendices.  Basic issues relating to the operation of multicast
   MANET border routers are discussed, but ongoing work remains in this
   area, and is beyond the scope of this document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-smf-12.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-smf-12.txt