Subject: [manet] AD review of draft-ietf-manet-smf

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:44:16 +0100

Hi,

I have dome my usual AD review prior to starting IETF last call. The
purpose of the review is to find any issues that might pop up during
last call or IESG review and (hopefully) smooth the passage of the
draft through the approval process.

This is a solid and well-written document. Thanks!

I had a concern about the IANA section, but this has been resolved in
discussions with the authors, chairs, and IANA. That leaves me with
just one concern (below). We can handle this through discussion and
possibly a revised version, depending on the outcome.

The document is in "AD Review :: Point Raised - writeup needed" state
while we sort this out.

Thanks,
Adrian

---

I am confused by the requirements for DPD.

In section 4 you have:
   Interoperable SMF implementations MUST use a common DPD approach 

In section 6 you also have:
   For IPv4 and IPv6, both, this document describes two basic multicast
   duplicate packet detection mechanisms: header content identification-
   based (I-DPD) and hash-based (H-DPD) duplicate detection.

And you go on to say:
   Because of the potential addition of a hop-by-hop option header with
   IPv6, all SMF routers in the same SMF deployments MUST be configured
   so as to use a common mechanism and DPD algorithm.

So, for a given IP family you have defined more than one DPD mechanism,
yet you require that all deployed routers in a network use the same DPD
mechanism.

Although one might hope that all nodes participating in an experiment 
are set up the same way, your experimental networks are quite large and
I think you need to provide:
- a default DPD mechanism
- a way of detecting (and so alarming) a DPD mismatch.