Subject: Re: [manet] Replacing MANET with a simple solution

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:12:41 +0200

Hi Pars,

I think we cannot replace MANET and its techniques, we only may
improve. There is no simpler than MANET. The points mentioned by
Cedric, Dan, and Henning Rogge are very important, and it seems that
your system is not fullfilling all requirements for public safety. The
MANET solution is the best alternative for the reasons poited by them
and for others:

- Ad hoc networks are more flexible for users to connect to different
networks systems.
- Your network solution is vulnerable in disasters, because is a
centralized network using satellite systems and ballons managed by
centre administrators.
- Using satellites as ad hoc nodes and/or ballons as ad hoc nodes is
the best solution you may misunderstood.
- If one node is alive, in an ad hoc network still he will be able to
search all networks reachable and available at any time as long the
battery is alive. On the other hand, if satellite or ballon
transcievers are unreachable the one survivale will not be able to
search for another network only if allowed by administrators.
- In MANET it gives social service opportunity (rescue
family/community system) to people to rescue theirselves without
waiting (e.g. if not available, usually happens because of response
delays) for a ballon/satellite connection or an agency that
administrates such facilities.
-There are many disaster recovery practical real-life reasons that
recommend no better solution than MANET and then the assistance of
other wireless Ad Hoc networks.

Regards

Abdussalam Baryun
ICRC, University of Glamorgan, UK

---

From: Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:54:07 +0300

Hi

I am not on the MANET list. I don't know if the list will accept my e-mail.

Please see inline:

> search for another network only if allowed by administrators.

Several nodes that are not in reach of others will not be able to
call using the MANET solution.

The balloon can save all of them.

> administrates such facilities.

This is the only valid point against my proposal so far IMO (provided that
MANET works - see the above comments). But I think we can trust the
rescuers. We need them for other things
than communication as well.

Thanks,

Pars