Subject: [manet] RFC 6621 on Simplified Multicast Forwarding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:27:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6621

        Title:      Simplified Multicast Forwarding 
        Author:     J. Macker, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      55
        Characters: 139674
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-manet-smf-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6621.txt

This document describes a Simplified Multicast Forwarding (SMF)
mechanism that provides basic Internet Protocol (IP) multicast
forwarding suitable for limited wireless mesh and mobile ad hoc
network (MANET) use.  It is mainly applicable in situations where
efficient flooding represents an acceptable engineering design trade-off.
It defines techniques for multicast duplicate packet detection
(DPD), to be applied in the forwarding process, for both IPv4 and
IPv6 protocol use.  This document also specifies optional mechanisms
for using reduced relay sets to achieve more efficient multicast data
distribution within a mesh topology as compared to Classic Flooding.
Interactions with other protocols, such as use of information
provided by concurrently running unicast routing protocols or
interaction with other multicast protocols, as well as multiple
deployment approaches are also described.  Distributed algorithms for
selecting reduced relay sets and related discussion are provided in
the appendices.  Basic issues relating to the operation of multicast
MANET border routers are discussed, but ongoing work remains in this
area and is beyond the scope of this document.  This document defines an 
Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:40:01 -0700

Congratulations! If we keep up the rate of "one RFC per week" in
MANET, we'll keep the RFC editor and the IESG busy ;-)

Best
Ulrich

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Thomas Heide Clausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 21:14:15 +0200

Yup - great work, Joe (with editor hat on), I know it wasn't easy but this is a milestone for the WG!

-- 
Thomas Heide Clausen
http://www.thomasclausen.org/

"Any simple problem can be made insoluble if enough meetings are held to
 discuss it."
   -- Mitchell's Law of Committees