Subject: [manet] Update on my DLEP experiments

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 14:52:49 +0200

Hi,

I have continued some experiments with DLEP and would like to share the 
result.

We had some discussions in the past how DLEP should be used (independent 
of the packet format). I worked on three different use cases:

a) Radio and router are within (linklocal-) multicast distance. Radio 
initiates the connection with 'discovery' messages, router responds with 
'connect' message, radio sends metric/neighbor information.

b) Radio pushs metric/neighbor information, router listens passively.

c) Router is out of multicast distance of radio. Router sends connect 
request, radio responds with discovery and metric/neighbor information.

(the third case is important for the CONFINE project I am working in, 
because we have virtualized containers that are not directly bridged to 
the control interface towards the DLEP-capable radio).

I managed to implement all three use-cases with two DLEP orders 
('interface discovery' and 'connect router') by adding one additional 
message TLV to the 'connect router' order to signal that the DLEP radio 
should respond to it with unicast, not multicast. The rest is just done 
by some configuration parameters.

I think this shows we will be able to satisfy all mentioned use cases 
without adding a lot of complexity to the protocol.

Henning Rogge

-- 
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
Neuenahrer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-961,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de
GPG: E1C6 0914 490B 3909 D944 F80D 4487 C67C 55EC CFE0