Subject: [manet] #1: Discussion about naming for the IETF reactive protocol

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:21:53 -0000

#1: Discussion about naming for the IETF reactive protocol

 The name DYMO was chosen for the reactive protocol as a compromise to
 avoid the appearance of favoritism.  The two experimental reactive
 protocols were named "DSR" and "AODV" (standing for "Dynamic Source
 Routing" and "Ad-hoc Distance Vector" routing respectively).

 In the meantime, AODV has maintained quite a bit more interest within the
 IETF community compared to DSR, and there is quite a bit less name
 recognition for "DYMO" compared to either AODV or DSR.

 After discussions at IETF 82 and also preceding IETF 83, it was decided to
 capitalize on the name recognition of AODV by renaming the IETF reactive
 protocol to be "AODVv2", in analogy to the choice of OLSRv2 for the IETF
 standard proactive protocol derived from OLSR which was published as an
 IETF Experimental Protocol.

 For the publication of future IETF reactive protocol documents, it is
 proposed to adhere to the name AODVv2, even though that acronym does not
 yet appear in the filename for the reactive protocol specification.

-- 
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  charliep@…          |      Owner:  Charlie Perkins
     Type:  task                |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor               |  Milestone:
Component:  dymo                |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |   Keywords:  reactive naming
--------------------------------+-----------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/1>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>