Subject: [manet] #3: Use msg-hop-count in RFC 5444 header to limit # of hops

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:07:31 -0000

#3: Use msg-hop-count in RFC 5444 header to limit # of hops

 The current AODVv2 specification uses msg-hop-limit to control the
 dissemination of routing messages.  It is proposed instead to use msg-hop-
 count to have a direct hop count for disseminated routing messages, and to
 use a protocol constant to limit the number of hops (e.g., MAX_HOP_COUNT
 == 64).  Even 64 is too much for practically any foreseeable ad hoc
 network.  For networks that need to have finer-grained control (e.g.,
 controlling dissemination to be less than the manifest constant), msg-hop-
 limit could be used for just those messages needing it.  The specification
 can (independently) still specify TTL=255 according to RFC 5082.

-- 
--------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  charliep@…          |      Owner:  Charlie Perkins
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major               |  Milestone:
Component:  dymo                |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |   Keywords:  hop count, hop limit
--------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/3>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>