Subject: [manet] Uses of MANET

From: David Gorender <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 01:31:48 -0300

Hi,

My name is David Gorender and I am a graduation student at Federal
Univesity of Bahia, Brazil. I don't know if im sending this to the right
list, if not, please, give me an orientation about where to send it.
Months ago i started to get interested in MANET technology, as well as
multicast routing protocol. My question is: is MANET applicable outside the
army, army-like enviroments or VANETs? Or even
better: can it be used on the regular day to suport applications in some
sort of situation?

I found very frustrating that the idea of intrinsic trust fail to attend my
expectations of generating a MANET public network of any kind.

I'm very unmotivated with all this at the moment. =/

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 19:59:20 +0200

A lot of MANET protocols are used for Wireless Community Mesh
Networks... used by people to build up large scale IP networks all
over cities or even (parts of) countries.

Henning Rogge

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM, David Gorender <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is David Gorender and I am a graduation student at Federal Univesity
> of Bahia, Brazil. I don't know if im sending this to the right list, if not,
> please, give me an orientation about where to send it.
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>

-- 
Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."

---

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 09:05:50 +0000

Many people have considered MANETs in disaster situations.

-- 
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group
Communications, Networks and Image Analysis Capability
BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre
West Hanningfield Road, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, CM2 8HN, UK
Tel: +44 1245 242194 |  Fax: +44 1245 242124
[email-masked] | http://www.baesystems.com

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henning Rogge
Sent: 07 October 2012 18:59
To: David Gorender
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] Uses of MANET

----------------------! WARNING ! ----------------------
This message originates from outside our organisation,
either from an external partner or from the internet.
Keep this in mind if you answer this message.
Follow the 'Report Suspicious Emails' link on IT matters
for instructions on reporting suspicious email messages.
--------------------------------------------------------

Henning Rogge

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

---

From: Philippe Jacquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:06:46 +0200 (CEST)

Yes, it can be used, and is used, outside military or VANET framework, but I don't know if it answers your "unmotivations"...
Philippe 

----- Mail original -----
De: "David Gorender" <[email-masked]>
À: [email-masked]
Envoyé: Dimanche 7 Octobre 2012 06:31:48
Objet: [manet] Uses of MANET

Hi,

---

From: David Gorender <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:51:56 -0300

First of all thank you all very much for answering my questions. One of the
reasons why im unmotivated is
the lack of places where i can discuss such subjects. Even here i was a
little afraid to post anything since
the emails were so technical.

Now, please, don't get me wrong, im not a startup or entrepreneurship kind
of guy - not that its a bad thing,
i just want to get more experience before thinking on any of that stuff,
since i'm still at graduation - as i've
been doing research for the past three years.

That been said, i found the idea of Wireless Community Mesh Networks and
VoIP with MANET protocols
very interesting. What i fail to see is how a colaborative network, where
all nodes can act like routers
is safe enough for such big networks, where you can't control who's
acessing it. I know there's some
security issues that can be treated on the application layer, but I don't
know... maybe i didn't study enough
on this to be talking to you guys. I'm very grateful for your help,
nonetheless.

---

From: David Gorender <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 16:01:23 -0300

Well, I got what I was looking for. No need to reply on that.

Thank you guys.

2012/10/8 David Gorender <[email-masked]>

> First of all thank you all very much for answering my questions. One of
> the reasons why im unmotivated is