Subject: Re: [manet] New TLVs for reactive protocol messages

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 15:40:51 -0800

Hello again folks,

It turns out that the version of SeqNum TLV that does not depend
on the function of the address in the AddrBlk is used for RERR.
So, instead of dropping the SeqNum TLV from the specification,
I think it is better to keep it, but just add the two new TLVs.
Proposed names: OrigSeqNum TLV and TargSeqNum TLV to be
used whenever the more verbose names below don't fit well.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 1/21/2013 12:00 PM, Charles E. Perkins wrote:
>
> Hello folks,
>
> As Henning has proposed, it is possible to revise the AODVv2 Address TLV
> definitions so that in the base protocol, the AddrBlk addresses do not 
> need
> to have any additional position-based semantics.  I have made some
> example packet formats and definitions, herewith...
>
> ==========================================================
>
> "Route Discovery Originator Sequence Number":
>     The sequence number for the originating node that triggered
>     the RREQ message initiating the Route Discovery operation.
>
> Another TLV for "Route Discovery Target Sequence Number"
>     The sequence number for the target node for which a route
>     was requested by way of RREQ from the originating router.
>
> The following packet formats look best with fixed-width fonts.
> If I didn't get all the RFC 5444 bits correct, please don't shoot
> me, but I think they're correct.
>
>
> Original: SeqNum TLV shown with an example AddrBlk:
>
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |   num-addr=2  |1|0|0|0|0| Rsv | head-length=3 |Head(Orig&Targ)|
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | Head (bytes for Orig & Target)|   Orig.Tail   | Target.Tail |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |      addr.tlvs-length=6       |  type=SeqNum  |0|1|0|1|0|0|Rsv|
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | Index-start=0 | tlv-length=2  |     Orig.Node Sequence #      |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
> One Sequence Number: Original Node SeqNum TLV:
>
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |      addr.tlvs-length=6       | type=OSeqNum  |0|1|0|1|0|0|Rsv|
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | Index-start=0 | tlv-length=2  |     Orig.Node Sequence #      |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
> One Sequence Number: Target Node SeqNum TLV:
>
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |      addr.tlvs-length=6       | type=TSeqNum  |0|1|0|1|0|0|Rsv|
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | Index-start=1 | tlv-length=2  |     Targ.Node Sequence #      |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
> Two Sequence Numbers: SeqNum TLV:
>
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |      addr.tlvs-length=7       |  type=SeqNum  |0|0|0|1|0|1|Rsv|
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | tlv-length=4  |     Orig.Node Sequence #      | TargNode Seq# |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | TargNode Seq# |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
> Two Sequence Numbers: Originating and Target Node SeqNum TLVs:
>
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |      addr.tlvs-length=12      | type=OSeqNum  |0|1|0|1|0|0|Rsv|
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | Index-start=0 | tlv-length=2  |     Orig.Node Sequence #      |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> | type=TSeqNum  |0|1|0|1|0|0|Rsv| Index-start=1 | tlv-length=2  |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |     Targ.Node Sequence #      |
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>
> I propose to replace the existing AODVv2 TLVs with the TLVs defined 
> above,
> and to move the positional-dependent SeqNum TLV to iRREP specification.
>

-- 
Regards,
Charlie P.