Subject: [manet] RFC 8245 on Rules for Designing Protocols Using the Generalized Packet/Message Format from RFC 5444

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 22:12:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8245

        Title:      Rules for Designing Protocols Using 
                    the Generalized Packet/Message Format 
                    from RFC 5444 
        Author:     T. Clausen, 
                    C. Dearlove,
                    U. Herberg, 
                    H. Rogge
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 66723
        Updates:    RFC 5444

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8245

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8245

RFC 5444 specifies a generalized Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET)
packet/message format and describes an intended use for multiplexed
MANET routing protocol messages; this use is mandated by RFC 5498 when
using the MANET port or protocol number that it specifies.  This
document updates RFC 5444 by providing rules and recommendations for
how the multiplexer operates and how protocols can use the
packet/message format.  In particular, the mandatory rules prohibit a
number of uses that have been suggested in various proposals and that
would have led to interoperability problems, to the impediment of
protocol extension development, and/or to an inability to use optional
generic parsers.

This document is a product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC