Subject: [manet] Link-ID length

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 12:46:16 +0100

To  continue the discussion that started at the IETF-meeting about the
Link-ID draft...

what is a good length for a Link-ID?

currently the draft suggest 4 bytes, but I agree that 4 bytes is not that much.

It might be a bit waste, but I would suggest increasing the length to
16 bytes...

why? Because it is long enough for practically all kind of addresses
(EUI-64, IPv6) and can also store a UUID.

it also has enough space to combine smaller values, e.g. LTE cell-id
and ue-id (together more than 4 bytes).

Having a variable length LID can be an implementation challenge,
because it prevents you to store a database item (including its LID)
in a fixed size memory block. Yes, it is possible but I would prefer a
fixed length LID.

So what does the rest of the working group think about the LID length?

Henning Rogge

---

From: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 03:09:07 +0000

Hi All,

Link Id length is one of those things that we have discussed before, in
which each use-case wants a different length, and so a variable (but
consistent) length needs to be negotiated at session start.

I had an (unfortunately) off-mic conversation with Lou Berger about a
simple generic mechanism for an Extension to negotiate 'Session Default
Parameters' at session start.

Hopefully one of us can get something quickly typed up about it, and
that would then allow LID to use it to announce the LID length during
session start.  I think it also solves an issue Lou has with the
Queue/Flow setup stuff in his drafts.

Rick

On Thu, 2017-11-16 at 12:46 +0100, Henning Rogge wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:12:04 +0100

> consistent) length needs to be negotiated at session start.

Is there a good use-case for more than 16 bytes? I mean more bytes
available for LID than you need should never be a problem.

Henning