Subject: [manet] DLEP discussions @ IETF102

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:01:54 -0400

Just as a heads up - We plan to present a couple of DLEP topics in CCAMP 
next week.

The interesting part is the credit based flow control draft 
reorganization and request for adoption call on IEEE 802.1Q Aware Credit 
Window Extension draft (draft-berger-manet-dlep-ether-credit-extension) 
-- I still have no idea which WG would do such an adoption call (MANET 
or CCAMP...)

The less interesting part is a brief update on our DLEP extensions that 
are post LC:

     DLEP Latency Range Extension
     draft-ietf-manet-dlep-latency-extension-03
     DLEP Multi-Hop Forwarding Extension
     draft-ietf-manet-dlep-multi-hop-extension-05
     DLEP Control Plane Based Pause Extension <-- which had a 1 LC 
related change discussed on the list
     draft-ietf-manet-dlep-pause-extension-04

Cheers,

Lou (and co-authors)

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:45:23 +0200

Hi,

I wonder if someone has found a good way to implement the router flow
control part (in Linux) without using the "Pause" mechanism (which is
normally a pretty crude thing to use)...

Most traffic classes don't allow setting absolute amounts of bytes
that are allowed to be transmitted.

Henning
On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:33 PM Lou Berger <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:29:12 +0000

Hi Henning,

I too have been looking at this.  I imagine what's needed a new queue
implementation for the tc subsystem that implements token bucket with a
netlink API to user-mode to allow it to be topped up from time to time.

However, it's a bit of work that I have yet to have time to implement.

We would be happy to collaborate on getting patches into the kernel to
support.

Cheers,

Rick

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 18:50:32 +0200

> netlink API to user-mode to allow it to be topped up from time to time.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking too... but it need to be a TC
queue that can be nested below something like a priority queue,
otherwise flow control for multiple traffic classes (in combination
with the LID draft) would be difficult.

Henning

---

From: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 19:11:45 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henning Rogge [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 12 July 2018 17:51
> To: Rick Taylor
> Cc: Lou Berger; MANET IETF
> Subject: Re: [manet] DLEP discussions @ IETF102
> 

If I understand it correctly, Linux TC allows classless-disciplines to hang off the classful ones if you implement the API correctly, so I see a clone of the FIFO_FAST queue as the starting point.

Are you coming to Montreal?  If so, lets chat about it?

Rick