Subject: [manet] AD Review of draft-ietf-manet-dlep-latency-extension-04

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 16:07:41 -0400

Dear authors:

I just finished reading this document.  Sorry for the processing delay.

I have only one issue.  I'm starting the IETF Last Call because I believe
we can take care of it with other LC comments.

>From §3: "The Latency Range Data Item MAY be carried in any message where
the Latency Data Item [RFC8175] is allowed and is carried as an additional
data item."

There is an exception to the "MAY be carried" part above; rfc8175 §12.6
(Session Initialization Response Message) says:

   All supported metric Data Items MUST be included in the Session
   Initialization Response Message, with default values to be used on a
   session-wide basis.  This can be viewed as the modem "declaring" all
   supported metrics at DLEP session initialization.  Receipt of any
   further DLEP Message containing a metric Data Item not included in
   the Session Initialization Response Message MUST be treated as an
   error, resulting in the termination of the DLEP session between
   router and modem.

   If any optional extensions are supported by the modem, they MUST be
   enumerated in the Extensions Supported Data Item.  If an Extensions
   Supported Data Item does not exist in a Session Initialization
   Response Message, the router MUST conclude that there is no support
   for extensions in the modem.

IOW, the Latency Range MUST be carried in the Session Initialization
Response Message.  Please add text to that effect.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 16:18:03 -0400

Alvaro,

     good catch and will do.

Lou

On 6/21/2019 4:07 PM, Alvaro Retana wrote:
> I have only one issue.  I'm starting the IETF Last Call because I 
> believe we can take care of it with other LC comments.
>
> From §3: "The Latency Range Data Item MAY be carried in any message 
> where the Latency Data Item [RFC8175] is allowed and is carried as an 
> additional data item."
>
> There is an exception to the "MAY be carried" part above; rfc8175 
> §12.6 (Session Initialization Response Message) says:
>
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet