Subject: [MBONED] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:15:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the MBONE Deployment Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Moving MCAST.NET into the ARPA infrastructure top level domain
	Author(s)	: P. Koch
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2007-7-12
	
This document proposes to migrate the MCAST.NET domain into the ARPA
   top level domain that is dedicated to infrastructure support.  It
   also provides for a maintenance policy and covers migration issues
   and caveats.  This document updates RFC 3171.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:23:11 +0200

Dear mboned wg,

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-01.txt

this version incorporates coments received during the Prague meeting.

Eligibility for a name in MCAST.ARPA is limited to group addresses from
224.0.0/24 and 224.0.1/24, because other addresses in 224/8 aren't as
tightly controlled. The draft hopefully makes clear how a corresponding
reverse mapping entry will look like.

I'd like to receive advice on which IPv6 group addresses should be treated
the same way.

For detailed changes please have a look at
<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mboned/draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa/>

Thanks,
  Peter

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:23:11 +0200

Dear mboned wg,

Thanks,
  Peter

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:10:43 +0200

> I'd like to receive advice on which IPv6 group addresses should be treated

For IPv6 it would certainly be a subset of the permanent allocations,
which all got the T (transient) flag set to 0. From RFC 3307:

4.1  Permanent IPv6 Multicast Addresses

    Permanent multicast addresses, like those defined in [RFC 2375], are
    allocated by IANA.  These addresses will be assigned with group ID's,
    in the range of 0x00000001 to 0x3FFFFFFF, on an Expert Review basis.

    Multicast addresses assigned by IANA MUST have the T bit set to 0 and
    the P bit set to 0.

The question is whether all of these should be in the DNS, or what the
rule should be.

Most of the IANA assigned IPv6 multicast addresses are listed in RFC
2375. I believe all of those belong in the DNS,

Stig

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:10:43 +0200

Stig

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:08:24 -0400

> 2375. I believe all of those belong in the DNS,

The Fixed Scope Multicast Addresses in the following list might be a  
good guide :

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses

It has the advantage of being kept up to date.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:08:24 -0400

Regards
Marshall