Subject: [MBONED] revising mtrace2 draft (-08)

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 17:59:56 +0900 (JST)

Hello folks,

I've revised the mtrace2 draft to -08 version.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-mtrace-v2-08.txt

The changes are mainly editorial and the draft status is AD review,
but you may need to know some changes for the implementation. Please
read the revised draft carefully and give me your comments.

I summarize the changes that would affect the mtrace2 implementation
as follows;

1. Response -> Reply
   Mtrace2 has three message types, "query", "request", and
   "response". It also has two block types, "standard response" and
   "augumented block", which are finally replied as the mtrace2
   response message. Ron said these namings are confusing. I hence
   changed the name of "response" message to "reply" message.

2. Destination Address -> Mtrace2 Client Address
   The name of "Destination Address" specified in mtrace2 query header
   was the address of mtrace2 querier. This name is ambiguous, hence
   it was changed to "Mtrace2 Client Address".

3. Unnumbered interface
   There was no clear definition about the case if an mtrace2 request/
   reply message reaches on an unnumbered interface. The revised draft
   says that an mtrace2 request/reply should be sent with the address
   of the router's reception interface, but if the router's interface
   address is unnumbered, the router can use one of its numbered
   interface address as the source address.

4. Mtrace2 Query/Request received by non-supported router
   There were no precise information about non-supported router; when
   mtrace2 query/request messages are arrived at a router that does
   not understand mtrace2 messages, what happens? Section 9.1.3 and
   9.2.3 are the corresponding sections.

If you have some question or concern about these changes, please mail
me or to this ML.

Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda