Subject: [MBONED] Document Action: 'Overview of the Internet Multicast Addressing Architecture' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-mboned-addrarch-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:11:58 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Overview of the Internet Multicast Addressing Architecture'
  (draft-ietf-mboned-addrarch-07.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-addrarch/

Technical Summary

   Good, up-to-date documentation of IP multicast is close to non-
   existent.  Particularly, this is an issue with multicast address
   allocations (to networks and sites) and assignments (to hosts and
   applications).  This problem is stressed by the fact that there
   exists confusing or misleading documentation on the subject
   [RFC2908].  The consequence is that those who wish to learn about IP
   multicast and how the addressing works do not get a clear view of the
   current situation.

   The aim of this document is to provide a brief overview of multicast
   addressing and allocation techniques.  The term 'addressing
   architecture' refers to the set of addressing mechanisms and methods
   in an informal manner.

   It is important to note that Source-specific Multicast (SSM)
   [RFC4607] does not have these addressing problems because SSM group
   addresses have only local significance; hence, this document focuses
   on the Any Source Multicast (ASM) model.

   This memo obsoletes and re-classifies to Historic RFC 2908, and re-
   classifies to Historic RFCs 2776 and 2909.

Working Group Summary

   WG consensus appears sound and no major controversies were noted.

Document Quality

   The document has undergone thorough review within IETF's Multicast
   community.  This document was previously submitted for publication 
   several years ago, but changes were suggested during AD review.  The 
   suggested changes have been made. 

Personnel

    Lenny Giuliano is the Document Shepherd. Ron Bonica is the
    Responsible Area Director.