Subject: [MBONED] Protocol Action: 'Multicast Ping Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:46:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multicast Ping Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping/

Technical Summary

   The Multicast Ping Protocol specified in this document allows for
   checking whether an endpoint can receive multicast, both Source-
   Specific Multicast (SSM) and Any-Source Multicast (ASM).  It can also
   be used to obtain additional multicast-related information such as
   multicast tree setup time.  This protocol is based on an
   implementation of tools called ssmping and asmping.

Working Group Summary

   This document is the product of the MBONED WG where it has been
   reviewed.

Document Quality

   This protocol is based on the current implementation of the ssmping
   and asmping tools [impl] which are widely used by the Internet
   community to conduct multicast connectivity tests.

   There were several comments made during working group last call.
   The author has addressed and/or incorporated all questions and
   concerns in the document.  

Personnel

   Lenny Giuliano ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
   Ron Bonica ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD.