Subject: [MBONED] Multicast in ARMD

From: Mike McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:49:14 -0700

For those of you who follow ARMD you know there was a flurry of mails,
a month or two ago, about multicast in the data center. Some said IP
Multicast is crap and is not used in the data center. Others said IP
Multicast was critical for them in the data center. We captured the
discussion in draft-mcbride-armd-mcast-overview-01 and tried to add
unbiased analysis.

It was decided that ARMD is not the place to document multicast in the
DC. Perhaps this is an area we want to document in mboned (or
elsewhere like DCops). Do we want to consider adding multicast
operation in the data center to the mboned charter?

thanks,
mike

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mcbride-armd-mcast-overview-01.txt

---

From: Leonard Giuliano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:41:26 -0700

Mike- I don't really see anything in the charter that would necessarily 
preclude mcast in the data center being a topic of exploration in MBONED.

-Lenny

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Mike McBride wrote:

-) For those of you who follow ARMD you know there was a flurry of mails,
-) a month or two ago, about multicast in the data center. Some said IP
-) Multicast is crap and is not used in the data center. Others said IP
-) Multicast was critical for them in the data center. We captured the
-) discussion in draft-mcbride-armd-mcast-overview-01 and tried to add
-) unbiased analysis.
-) 
-) It was decided that ARMD is not the place to document multicast in the
-) DC. Perhaps this is an area we want to document in mboned (or
-) elsewhere like DCops). Do we want to consider adding multicast
-) operation in the data center to the mboned charter?
-) 
-) thanks,
-) mike
-) 
-) http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mcbride-armd-mcast-overview-01.txt
-) _______________________________________________
-) MBONED mailing list
-) [email-masked]
-) https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned
-)