Subject: [MBONED] AMT implementation/pointers

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 18:55:08 +0200

Jake/*:

Great work on the AMT SW during the hackathon during the weekend and reporting on it.

Wanted to remind folks here on the list of one open source implementation that was
done in 2014 from Cisco as part of a workshop with the EBU in Geneva:

https://tech.ebu.ch/events/multicast14

There are a bunch of good presentations also documenting in more detail the
functionality of the AMT gateway implementation. During the event the EBU told us that
these presentations should be accessible to anybody by just registering for free,
but i have not been able to get access to those presentations. Seems more like the
presentations are only accessible to EBU member orgs only (or else i am doing something
wrong). If the presentations are not available publically, maybe Greg could contribute them
to the github for the gateway implementation...

The implementation is an AMT gateway implementation that is meant to be linked into
receiver applications, it runs without daemon, it supports IPv4 (not IPv6 yet,
should be easy to add), and it does also automatically supports joining to (S,G) both
natively and via AMT - if the traffic is received natively, then the AMT tunnel will
be terminated automatically.

There was also work by some other workshop participants to integrate the
gateway library into example apps.

https://github.com/cisco/SSMAMTtools

What this achieves is the key automatic optimization possible with AMT:

        Relay -------------------------------------> Rcvr App

More folks join:
        Relay -------------------------------------> Rcvr1 App
        Relay -------------------------------------> Rcvr2 App
        Relay -------------------------------------> Rcvr3 App

Now your sites WAN link runs over, not enough bandwidth, so you install into your
site (eg: your home) a router that is garteway and relay:

                                     WAN-link
        Relay ----------------------------GW/Relay---------> Rcvr1 App
                                                  ---------> Rcvr2 App
                                                  ---------> Rcvr3 App
                                                  ---------> Rcvr4 App

And of course, if you dare to do, you could also enable native multicast in your
site and of course that should then also work. 

Of course, this concept requires a site router that supports GW/Relay,
so for homes it would be great therefore to get GW running in the open
source OpenWRT implementation.

Cheers
    Toerless