Subject: Re: [MBONED] deprecating MSDP

From: John Kristoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 14:53:22 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 22:13:30 +0000
"Dale W. Carder" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As was noted in the minutes, there is perhaps a significant set of the
> multicast community (including ourselves) seriously considering 
> turning off inter-domain MSDP for good.

I know two networks in our region that have already done so. One was
us and it wasn't just MSDP, but all of inter-domain IP multicast I'm
happy to keep reminding people about.  :-)

> Related, I am curious what are the barriers to moving MSDP to historic 
> status?  In RFC4611, that document differentiates intra-domain vs 
> inter-domain MSDP.  For that matter, it does a pretty good job at
> explaining the state of MSDP, but doesn't necessarily reflect what to 
> do in deployments today.  

Since MSDP is specified as experimental, perhaps it is enough to
just keep it as such and let RFC 4611 still reflect how you might use
it if you choose to, but perhaps a new Informational RFC should be
written to document the current state of IP multicast deployment?

John

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 21:42:28 +0000

> On 11 Aug 2017, at 20:53, John Kristoff <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

So SSM as well?

> written to document the current state of IP multicast deployment?

I think consensus in Prague was sites could use it in their own organisation, but not to share sources outside.

And the document will hopefully be BCP.

Tim

---

From: John Kristoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 16:49:00 -0500

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 21:42:28 +0000

> > happy to keep reminding people about.  :-)  

Yes.

John