Subject: [media-types] Process question - How to act as

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 13:54:55 +0200

Hello all,

I have a question with regard to the process of changing two registered 
media types and also registering new media types.

Brief history ... AFP - Advanced Function Presentation has been created 
and established by IBM in the past. In 2006 an international standards 
body was incorporated, called the AFP Consortium (http://afpcinc.org/). 
IBM (and the other member companies for the matter) have transferred the 
intellectual properties and all further work on the specifications to the 
AFP Consortium.

To my question(s), there are two media types already registered as 
"vnd.ibm.afplinedata" and "vnd.ibm.modcap". If we (the AFP Consortium) 
wanted to change the name of these two entries, should they rather go into 
the "Standards Tree" according to rfc6838. If so, what is the procedure to 
do that? Simply turn in an application as if they were new?

On a lighter note, we want to register more media types out of other parts 
of the specifications (see http://afpcinc.org/publications/). Again, what 
is the procedure here? I'm afraid I didn't fully understand the respective 
descriptions in the rfc documents.

Your help on this is highly appreciated!

On behalf of the AFP Consortium,

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best Regards,
Jörg Palmer

VP Customer Experience Management
_________________________________
fon:    +49 7031 6205 0
fax:    +49 7031 6205 555
mobile: +49 172 417 6624
[email-masked]
Skype ID: joerg.palmer

Compart AG
Otto-Lilienthal-Str. 38
71034 BÖBLINGEN
GERMANY
http://www.compart.com

Vorstand/Executive Board: Harald Grumser (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. 
Wolfgang 
Köstler, Christof Mayer
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Reinhard 
Hamburger

Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Böblingen
Handelsregister/Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 728307

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Compart Events: www.compart.com/events 
Compart Education: www.compart.com/education 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 16:27:14 +0100

Hi Jörg,

On 06/10/2017 12:54, [email-masked] wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a question with regard to the process of changing two 
> registered media types and also registering new media types.
>
> Brief history ... AFP - Advanced Function Presentation has been 
> created and established by IBM in the past. In 2006 an international 
> standards body was incorporated, called the AFP Consortium 
> (http://afpcinc.org/). IBM (and the other member companies for the 
> matter) have transferred the intellectual properties and all further 
> work on the specifications to the AFP Consortium.
Do you have pointers describing this in more details? I am happy to take 
them offline.

> wanted to change the name of these two entries, should they rather go 
> into the "Standards Tree" according to rfc6838.
Typically entries can't be deleted or renamed in the IANA Media Type 
registry, but it would be possible to publish new registrations 
declaring these as old aliases.

> If so, what is the procedure to do that? Simply turn in an application 
> as if they were new?
Yes.

> On a lighter note, we want to register more media types out of other 
> parts of the specifications (see http://afpcinc.org/publications/). 
> Again, what is the procedure here? I'm afraid I didn't fully 
> understand the respective descriptions in the rfc documents.
Fill in the registration template and I can help you out with specific 
details offline.

Best Regards,
Alexey, as Application and RealTime Area Director.
> http://www.compart.com <http://www.compart.com/>
>
> _______________________________________________
> media-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 13:43:57 +0200

Hello Alexey,

Thank your for the quick reply. I'm happy to give you more detailed 
information on the AFP Consortium and its work. Please find attached a 
"Did You Know" article we produced in 2015. To be exact, the turn of Harry 
Lewis (the author of the article) as president has ended. I assume this is 
not important for the discussion we are leading. As for the list of 
current members, please see: http://afpcinc.org/members/.

Maybe also the Wikipedia article is of interest for you: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Function_Presentation. We plan to 
rework (update) this article though. Please feel free to comment or ask 
questions about the Consortiums work.

Is there anything I had to do to register the AFP Consortium as a 
Standards Organization with IANA? Am I reading the rfc6838 correctly when 
I say the registered media types don't have a faceted name? As a 
consequence the existing "vnd.ibm.afplinedata" would become 
"afpc.afplinedata" or rather simply "afplinedata"?

Please advise on how to proceed with the standards organization question. 
As soon as we agree on this, I can proceed with changing and registering 
the desired media types.

Thanks again for your help on this!

Compart AG
Otto-Lilienthal-Str. 38
71034 BÖBLINGEN
GERMANY
http://www.compart.com

 

From:   Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date:   06.10.2017 17:28
Subject:        Re: [media-types] Process question - How to act as

Hi Jörg,

To my question(s), there are two media types already registered as 
"vnd.ibm.afplinedata" and "vnd.ibm.modcap". If we (the AFP Consortium) 
wanted to change the name of these two entries, should they rather go into 
the "Standards Tree" according to rfc6838.
Typically entries can't be deleted or renamed in the IANA Media Type 
registry, but it would be possible to publish new registrations declaring 
these as old aliases.

If so, what is the procedure to do that? Simply turn in an application as 
if they were new?
Yes.

Best Regards,

Compart AG 
Otto-Lilienthal-Str. 38 
71034 BÖBLINGEN 
GERMANY 
http://www.compart.com

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 11:16:10 +0200

On 10/10/2017, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
> rework (update) this article though.

Once you registered whatever you need, or updated older vnd.ibm.*
registrations, you should be certainly entitled to update
corresponding enwiki etc. articles or ideally: wikidata items about
these media-types.

> Please feel free to comment or ask questions about the Consortiums work.

Alexey as an IETF area director is in an awkward position, if another
wannabe-standards organisation asks for "recognition", just avoid
these muddy waters, something on your "publications" page should be
good enough for the purposes of your new registrations.

> Standards Organization with IANA?

IANA is definitely not supposed to recognise something as a standards
organisation, they work for the common good as defined by ICANN, IAB
(.org, not the .net miscreants), IETF, and IRSG; throw in iESG and
ISOC where they fit.

> As a consequence the existing "vnd.ibm.afplinedata" would become

Not checked, maybe, or rather, whatever Alexey says. However, changing
the name of an existing registration might be not what you want: Any
applications in the wild supporting the old names will never support
the new names, therefore new applications would be always tempted to
support the old names in addition to the new names, and what you get
is a compitability mess.

Notable example: image/x-icon vs. image/vnd.microsoft.icon, there are
terabytes of info online desperately trying to explain how favicons
are supposed to work with different browsers including IE6 or apple
touch devices.

Otherwise, just try it, it's supposed to be a reasonably simple
process, and if all else fails you are still free to explore the hard
way (informational RFC with a required IANA considerations section).

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:06:10 +0100

Hi,

> (.org, not the .net miscreants), IETF, and IRSG; throw in iESG and

There is a special process in RFC 6838 for SDOs.

> are supposed to work with different browsers including IE6 or apple

Right. It is not really possible to delete or rename the old registration.

I think the best thing to do is to register a new name and use the old
one as an alias, hoping that eventually the new name will be used more
widely than the original name.

Best Regards,
Alexey

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 08:28:08 +0200

Hello Alexey,

I have tried to pull together all the information needed. Please find 
attached what I plan to turn in as a registration for the two already 
registered media types. I have put the "old" names into the alias field as 
you suggested. Once I'm good to go with these I will then craft the 
remaining media types needed.

Please let me know what you think about the registration data. Thank you 
in advance for all your effort!

Compart AG
Otto-Lilienthal-Str. 38
71034 BÖBLINGEN
GERMANY
http://www.compart.com

From:   Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
To:     Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked]
Cc:     [email-masked]
Date:   22.10.2017 22:06
Subject:        Re: [media-types] Process question - How to act as a 
Standards         Organization

Hi,

Best Regards,
Alexey