Subject: [media-types] Notice for a potential media type registration: application/stix+json

From: Robin Cover <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 19:28:41 -0500

[Notice #2 of 2]

Members of an OASIS Technical Committee wish to register two media types
associated with the STIX and TAXII specifications.  This email message
to the IANA mailing list provides the notice for the second of these two
identifiers, for potential media type registration in the standards tree.

I am the designated administrative contact for OASIS where IANA
registration requests are concerned, so following the Preliminary
Community Review period, I will formally submit the registration
requests to IANA.  For these two candidate registrations, the technical
lead is Bret Jordan ([email-masked]).  He has provided the
technical content and is tasked by the OASIS CTI TC to provide feedback
or discussion on this list, if the need arises.

- Robin Cover
OASIS Director of Information Services

IETF RFC6838 Section 5.6. Registration Template
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838#section-5.6

Type name: application

Subtype name: stix+json

Required parameters: None

Optional parameters: version.  This parameter is used to designate
the specification version of STIX that is being used during HTTP
content negotiation. Example: "application/stix+json; version=2.1"

Encoding considerations: binary. Encoding considerations are
identical to those specified for the "application/json" media
type. See [RFC8259].

Security considerations: Security considerations relating to the
generation and consumption of STIX messages are similar to
application/json and are discussed in Section 12 of [RFC8259].

Interoperability considerations: The STIX specification
specifies the format of conforming messages and the interpretation
thereof.  In addition, the OASIS Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI)
Technical Committee has defined interoperability tests to ensure
conforming products and solutions can exchange STIX documents.

Published specification: STIX Version 2.0
Part 1: STIX Core Concepts, OASIS Committee Specification 01
http://docs.oasis-open.org/cti/stix/v2.0/cs01/part1-stix-core/stix-v2.0-cs01-part1-stix-core.html
Cited in the "OASIS Standards" document:
https://www.oasis-open.org/standards#oasiscommiteespecs, from
https://www.oasis-open.org/standards#stix2.0

Applications that use this media type: Structured Threat
Information Expression (STIX) is a language and serialization
format used to exchange cyber threat intelligence (CTI) such
as Threat Actors, Campaigns, Intrusion Sets, Attack Patterns,
Indicators of Compromise, etc.  STIX enables organizations to
share CTI with one another in a consistent and machine readable
manner, allowing security communities to better understand what
computer-based attacks they are most likely to see and to
anticipate and/or respond to those attacks faster and more
effectively. STIX is designed to improve many different
capabilities, such as collaborative threat analysis, automated
threat exchange, automated detection and response, and more.

Fragment identifier considerations: None

Additional information:

 Deprecated alias names for this type: None
 Magic number(s): In general, the same as for application/json
   [RFC8259].
 File extension(s): None
 Macintosh File Type Code(s):  In general, the same as for
   application/json [RFC8259].
 Object Identifier(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:
Robin Cover ([email-masked])

Intended usage: COMMON

Restrictions on usage: None

Author: OASIS Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) Technical Committee
URI reference: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cti/

Change controller: OASIS

Provisional registration?: No

Other information:

1) the "Published specification:" cited above was approved as
Version 2.0 but is now under active revision

2) the revised STIX specification Version 2.1 will contain the
complete text of the (finalized) IANA Media Type Registration in
an Appendix

3) the technical content in the Version 2.1 revision for
STIX does not materially change anything vis-a-vis STIX
Version 2.0 as respects serialization, transport, or
client-server interactions that depend upon media type and
content negotiation

4) technical lead for this Preliminary Community Review Notice:
Bret Jordan ([email-masked])

-- 
Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover