Subject: [media-types] Notice for a potential media type registration: application/taxii+json

From: Robin Cover <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 19:26:39 -0500

[Notice #1 of 2]

Members of an OASIS Technical Committee wish to register two media types
associated with the STIX and TAXII specifications.  This email message
to the IANA mailing list provides the notice for the first of these two
identifiers, for potential media type registration in the standards tree.

I am the designated administrative contact for OASIS where IANA
registration requests are concerned, so following the Preliminary
Community Review period, I will formally submit the registration
requests to IANA.  For these two candidate registrations, the technical
lead is Bret Jordan ([email-masked]).  He has provided the
technical content and is tasked by the OASIS CTI TC to provide feedback
or discussion on this list, if the need arises.

- Robin Cover
OASIS Director of Information Services

IETF RFC6838 Section 5.6. Registration Template
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838#section-5.6

Type name: application

Subtype name: taxii+json

Required parameters: None

Optional parameters: version.  This parameter is used to designate
the specification version of TAXII that is being used  during HTTP
content negotiation. Example: "application/taxii+json; version=2.1"

Encoding considerations: binary. Encoding considerations are
identical to those specified for the "application/json" media
type. See [RFC8259].

Security considerations: Security considerations relating to the
generation and consumption of TAXII messages are similar to
application/json and are discussed in Section 12 of [RFC8259].

Interoperability considerations: The TAXII specification
specifies the format of conforming messages and the interpretation
thereof.  In addition, the OASIS Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI)
Technical Committee has defined interoperability tests to ensure
conforming products and solutions can exchange TAXII documents.

Published specification: TAXII Version 2.0
OASIS Committee Specification 01
http://docs.oasis-open.org/cti/taxii/v2.0/cs01/taxii-v2.0-cs01.html
Cited in the "OASIS Standards" document:
https://www.oasis-open.org/standards#oasiscommiteespecs, from
https://www.oasis-open.org/standards#taxii2.0

Applications that use this media type: TAXII is an application
layer protocol for the communication of cyber threat information
including STIX in a simple and scalable manner.

Fragment identifier considerations: None

Additional information:

 Deprecated alias names for this type: None
 Magic number(s): In general, the same as for application/json
   [RFC8259].
 File extension(s): None
 Macintosh File Type Code(s):  In general, the same as for
   application/json [RFC8259].
 Object Identifier(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:
Robin Cover ([email-masked])

Intended usage: COMMON

Restrictions on usage: None

Author: OASIS Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) Technical Committee
URI reference: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cti/

Change controller: OASIS

Provisional registration?: No

Other information:

1) the "Published specification:" cited above was approved as
Version 2.0 but is now under active revision

2) the revised TAXII specification Version 2.1 will contain the
complete text of the (finalized) IANA Media Type Registration in
an Appendix; in Version 2.0 the media type identifier was drafted
(incorrectly) as a candidate for the vendor tree

3) the technical content in the Version 2.1 revision for
TAXII does not materially change anything vis-a-vis TAXII
Version 2.0 as respects serialization, transport, or
client-server interactions that depend upon media type and
content negotiation

4) TC technical lead for this Preliminary Community Review Notice:
Bret Jordan ([email-masked])

-- 
Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Email: [email-masked]
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover