Subject: Re: [media-types] Media subtypes containing "+"

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 07:32:45 -0700

Manu,

Apologies for missing this before.  I got auto-sorted into a folder and
never got my attention.

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 10:07 AM Manu Sporny <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> We formally request that:
>
> 1. The registration of application/did+ld+json is allowed
>    to proceed.
>

I realize we have been slow to act here, and for that I apologize, but I
suspect -- though I'm happy to cede to consensus if it disagrees with me --
that registering this before dealing with your second item below would be
putting the cart before the horse, establishing a precedent before the
notion has been formalized.

2. The "Media Types with Multiple Suffixes" document is
>    progressed along the IETF standards track. We have no
>    strong opinion on the IETF mechanism used to do so.
>

This is now an input document to the MEDIAMAN working group, the formal
formation process of which has now started.  This gives it a path to
development and publication to give it proper support in the media types
ecosystem.

-MSK

---

From: Manu Sporny <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:15:49 -0400

> development and publication to give it proper support in the media types 

Good, that's progress. :)

I have read the proposed WG charter and it looks good to me:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/mediaman/about/

Any idea on a timeline for the process leading up to being able to register
"application/did+ld+json"? I know it's difficult to predict how long a WG will
take. I'm looking more for a ballpark "no later than" date rather than an
"earliest" date. We won't hold you to this date, just trying to get some
ballpark estimation. I'd like this information in order to align expectations
at W3C wrt. when this issue will be resolved.

I also ask because we have had to enter into a second candidate recommendation
phase for W3C Decentralized Identifiers (this issue remains the only one
giving the WG some heartburn). Our charter expires in September 2021, so we'll
be forced to publish a spec with a fairly unstable IANA considerations section
and will most likely have to figure out a way to align an updated spec with
the MEDIAMAN output at some future date.

We have 19 independent implementations that successfully use the
"application/did+ld+json" media type now. That is unlikely to change in
practice. No errors or adverse outcomes have been reported yet based on the
usage pattern. Does this raise any serious concerns at this point in time?

Thank you, again, for the response. I'm looking forward to your feedback on
the above so that I may relay it to the W3C Decentralized Identifier Working
Group during one of our WG calls.

-- manu

-- 
Manu Sporny - https://www.linkedin.com/in/manusporny/
Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
News: Digital Bazaar Announces New Case Studies (2021)
https://www.digitalbazaar.com/