Subject: [media-types] WG Action: Formed Media Type Maintenance (mediaman)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:51:53 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chair.

Media Type Maintenance (mediaman)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
  Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/media-types/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/mediaman/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-mediaman/

IANA maintains a registry of media types and subtypes that are used to
identify particular payloads and their semantics as they are transported via
application level protocols such as messaging (“email”) and the web (HTTP). 
The core structure and use of media types is the MIME framework, defined in
RFCs 2045 through 2049, and amended by various later documents.  Registration
of new media types is defined by BCP 13, which was last updated in 2013.

The registration of a top-level media type is a rare event.  BCP 13 describes
the process for doing so, as was used in RFC 8081, but it does not provide
any guidance or criteria regarding what constitutes an appropriate
registration.

Several other topics have appeared in the interim that are large enough in
scope and importance to warrant the formation of a working group to develop
and process them.  This working group will therefore take up the following
items, in this order (or as otherwise negotiated with the supervising Area
Director):

* Determine whether any specific criteria or guidance are warranted to handle
registration of future top-level media types, and publish any such guidance.

* Develop and process the pending ‘haptics’ top-level media type request,
based on draft-muthusamy-dispatch-haptics, and the outcome of the previous
work item.

* Consider whether and how to permit multiple media type suffixes.

* Develop a reviewer’s checklist regarding Security Considerations sections
in media type applications.

* Consider any issues around media types for programming languages and data
definition languages such as YANG.

* Review the format of the media types registry itself.

* Evaluate the registry policies and procedures in the context of how media
types are currently used, and modify them if necessary.

This last item will consider the existing use of GitHub for managing
registrations and the processing queues for the “link relations” and “well
known URIs” registries as examples.

Input Document(s):
* draft-muthusamy-dispatch-haptics

* draft-w3cdidwg-media-types-with-multiple-suffixes

Proposed milestones (target dates TBD):
* Publish any specific criteria or guidance for handling registration of
future top-level media types, either as an RFC or a wiki page.

* draft-muthusamy-dispatch-haptics (or equivalent) to the IESG for approval
(Proposed Standard)

* A draft about handling multiple suffixes to the IESG for approval (BCP)

* Publish a reviewer’s checklist about Security Considerations in media type
applications, either as an RFC or a wiki page.

* Deliver recommendations about the media types registry format.

* Deliver any recommendations about future registration and queue management.

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:45:47 +0200

Hello fellow typers!

As you can see from the below, the IESG has approved the formation of a 
working group for media maintenance, and I have agreed to be chair of 
the WG (flying solo for now).

The WG is chartered to use this mailing list for its work.

Using an existing mailing list has advantages and disadvantages, so lets 
get started on an administrative item:
Should we ask for a new mailing list, or should we keep this one?

I'll use the responses as a means of gauging whether people a) notice 
the mail and b) want to participate in the work too :-)

Welcome to MEDIAMAN!

Harald

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	WG Action: Formed Media Type Maintenance (mediaman)
Resent-Date: 	Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
Resent-From: 	[email-masked]
Resent-To: 	[email-masked]
Date: 	Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:51:53 -0700
From: 	The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: 	IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: 	The IESG <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
[email-masked]

Chairs:

Assigned Area Director:

Mailing list:

IANA maintains a registry of media types and subtypes that are used to
identify particular payloads and their semantics as they are transported via
application level protocols such as messaging (“email”) and the web 
(HTTP). The core structure and use of media types is the MIME framework, 
defined in
RFCs 2045 through 2049, and amended by various later documents. Registration
of new media types is defined by BCP 13, which was last updated in 2013.

* Determine whether any specific criteria or guidance are warranted to 
handle
registration of future top-level media types, and publish any such guidance.

Input Document(s):

* Deliver any recommendations about future registration and queue 
management.

---

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:34:18 +0200

[Harald Alvestrand]
> Should we ask for a new mailing list, or should we keep this one?

I am fine with using this mailing list, which at times is all too
quiet. :)

My initial thoughts regarding this new working group is that it might
lead to more of the media types in use by packages in Debian, like the
'chemical' one, to be officially registered.  See
<URL: https://wiki.debian.org/MimeTypesSupport/PackageList > for a
almost complete list of MIME types listed in .desktop files in Debian.

-- 
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen

---

From: Manu Sporny <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 22:27:26 -0400

> Should we ask for a new mailing list, or should we keep this one?

Keep this one, please.

-- manu

-- 
Manu Sporny (skype: msporny, twitter: manusporny)
Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Veres One Decentralized Identifier Blockchain Launches
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:42:34 +0900

Hello Harald, others,

> the WG (flying solo for now).

Many thanks for chairing. I have absolutely no doubt that given your 
experience (including chairing the IETF) you will chair us very well!

Keep this one, please.

Regards,   Martin.

> _______________________________________________
> media-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types
> 

-- 
Prof. Dr.sc. Martin J. Dürst
Department of Intelligent Information Technology
College of Science and Engineering
Aoyama Gakuin University
Fuchinobe 5-1-10, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara
252-5258 Japan

---

From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 23:36:01 +0200

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 09:45:47AM +0200, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> working group for media maintenance, and I have agreed to be chair of the WG
> (flying solo for now).
> 
> Using an existing mailing list has advantages and disadvantages, so lets get
> started on an administrative item:
> I'll use the responses as a means of gauging whether people a) notice the
> mail and b) want to participate in the work too :-)
> 
> Welcome to MEDIAMAN!
> 
> Harald
> 
> 
> 
...
> * draft-w3cdidwg-media-types-with-multiple-suffixes

i think there's some intersection between the goals of multiple
suffixes and the goals of profiles, à la
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-svensson-profiled-representations/>.

> applications, either as an RFC or a wiki page.

As an occasional media type registration author, I feel like the
recipe for drafting a security section is to start by digging through
recent ones for a similar language. These similarities can be used to
bin languages (XML, JSON and RDF; XQuery snd SPARQL, XML Schema with
ShEx and SHACL, WASM, Java, and JS). The registration process always
get a bit chaotic 'cause someone shows up and says "what about X"
around the same time you're saying "I will add anything people want if
that allows me to finish this project." This produces a cycle of less
concise text, few vested readers, lower priority, and back to less
polished text.

We could apply a bit of DRY; drafting a doc with a few security
checklists for data, query, schema, graphics, and executable
languages. I'd be game to help with that. (I started somewhere; it's
on my disk somewhere...)

---

From: Yeshwant Muthusamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:25:06 +0000

Hi Harald,

Thanks for chairing the new WG.

Using the existing media-types mailing list works for me.

Looking forward to the discussions in the group.

Thanks,
Yeshwant

Yeshwant Muthusamy, Ph.D. | Senior Director, Standards
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> | +1 469-583-2171
www.immersion.com<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.immersion.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7C4e9b69731c774f17fd7008d91bd13839%7C4f05e41a59b8413aae19d5df3dfd0fb5%7C0%7C0%7C637571407696395343%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=NqAZocK8gEey2w32hBkfjMQtv0t7IPSCsVjMbIAo0bU%3D&reserved=0>
330 Townsend St, Suite 234
San Francisco, California 94107

From: media-types <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Harald Alvestrand
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2021 2:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [media-types] Starting work (Fwd: WG Action: Formed Media Type Maintenance (mediaman))

Hello fellow typers!

As you can see from the below, the IESG has approved the formation of a working group for media maintenance, and I have agreed to be chair of the WG (flying solo for now).

Using an existing mailing list has advantages and disadvantages, so lets get started on an administrative item:
Should we ask for a new mailing list, or should we keep this one?

I'll use the responses as a means of gauging whether people a) notice the mail and b) want to participate in the work too :-)

Welcome to MEDIAMAN!

Harald

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:
WG Action: Formed Media Type Maintenance (mediaman)
Resent-Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
Resent-From:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Resent-To:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:51:53 -0700
From:
The IESG <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
To:
IETF-Announce <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
CC:
The IESG <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

Chairs:
Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>
Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
Address: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fmedia-types&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cfaea846b19254c14d33708d9692ebac9%7C4f05e41a59b8413aae19d5df3dfd0fb5%7C0%7C1%7C637656471719930652%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=zappXRojDGzpR6HFOm0BL1Jyjap4F73eGn66AyxoHYk%3D&reserved=0>
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/media-types/<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmailarchive.ietf.org%2Farch%2Fbrowse%2Fmedia-types%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cfaea846b19254c14d33708d9692ebac9%7C4f05e41a59b8413aae19d5df3dfd0fb5%7C0%7C1%7C637656471719930652%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=b0sGeQ8RqAjX0vbi0ghvOPi1SmCPFMj11S71E7h4GWk%3D&reserved=0>

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/mediaman/<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fgroup%2Fmediaman%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cfaea846b19254c14d33708d9692ebac9%7C4f05e41a59b8413aae19d5df3dfd0fb5%7C0%7C1%7C637656471719940607%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=U0QFHeAHwxOiiW6ICYQ45%2FGuW5kRvbbUr2OI%2Ff4ZOOw%3D&reserved=0>

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-mediaman/<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fcharter-ietf-mediaman%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cfaea846b19254c14d33708d9692ebac9%7C4f05e41a59b8413aae19d5df3dfd0fb5%7C0%7C1%7C637656471719940607%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=Z9vFICwrk8B9NIkWTr7ttEVLfvHIVy%2FtEVtCZw5nhCg%3D&reserved=0>

application level protocols such as messaging ("email") and the web (HTTP). The core structure and use of media types is the MIME framework, defined in

* Develop and process the pending 'haptics' top-level media type request,
based on draft-muthusamy-dispatch-haptics, and the outcome of the previous
work item.

* Develop a reviewer's checklist regarding Security Considerations sections
in media type applications.

This last item will consider the existing use of GitHub for managing
registrations and the processing queues for the "link relations" and "well
known URIs" registries as examples.

Input Document(s):

* Publish a reviewer's checklist about Security Considerations in media type
applications, either as an RFC or a wiki page.