Subject: [mediactrl] H.248 - technical limitations?

From: "McGlashan, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:12:20 +0100 (BST)

In 3GPP IMS standards, H.248 has been identified as the protocol for an
AS/MRFC to talk to a media processor. While I've heard comments that
H.248 "isn't right" (not sip, only master-slave, not xml, did I mention
not sip? ...), I haven't heard much in the way of specific technical
limitations of H.248 as a media processor control language. Is anybody
aware of such technical limitations or documents, articles, etc which
discuss them, especially compared with alternative approaches? 

Thanks

Scott

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this website or as otherwise deemed improper.

---

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:11:47 +0100 (BST)

http://www.brooktrout.com/whitepapers/pdf/media_server_ims.pdf

See p. 6.  Ignore the MRFC/P discussion on p. 5.  There is a role for
MRFC, just not as embodied in R5.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
McGlashan, Scott
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:17 PM
To: MixerControl
Subject: [mediactrl] H.248 - technical limitations?

Thanks

Scott

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or
information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any
liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any
communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this
website or as otherwise deemed improper.

---

From: "Garland Sharratt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 05:35:42 +0100 (BST)

This article on SIP vs. H.248 for media servers has just been published:

http://www.convergedigest.com/bp-c2p/bp1.asp?ID=238&ctgy=2

Garland

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of McGlashan,
Scott
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:17
To: MixerControl
Subject: [mediactrl] H.248 - technical limitations?

Thanks

Scott