Subject: [mediactrl] SIP Control Framework - More Comments

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:24:33 GMT

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Hi,

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The way I understand the framework is that
in Figure 4 the entities are the endpoint (User Agent) that connects to the
application server (The middle entity) using SIP (or H.323) for call setup and
XCON conference control protocol may be used for conference creation and
control.

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The Application server may initiate IVR
sessions, Announcement or multipoint conferences based on the AS logic. For conferencing
the AS will include the focus as described in the SIPPING conference framework,
note that for conferencing a conference can use more then one media servers for
example one for mixing audio and the other is an IM exploder. It may also
server as factory as described in sipping conferencing. The focus is also sending
conference event notification.

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The AS connects to the media server (right
entity) by creating a TCP connection using a SIP dialog. I would like to assume
that there is one TCP control connection between an AS and a MS and not one per
session (IVR, Announce, and Conference) in order not to have too many open TCP
connection and to help with FW/NAT traversal. Using one TCP connection can help
with learning MS capabilities. The AS connects to the MS when it starts, learn the
MS capabilities and can use this connection as a keep-alive mechanism.

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The AS is using 3rd party call
control to establish the media connection between the endpoint and the media
server.

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Now some comments/questions

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

 <font size=2
     color=navy face=Arial>In
     the MS discovery process, the AS is using caller prefs. Is there a proxy
     where the MS register with their capabilities (this is not explained) or
     does the AS send it to all MSs in which case are their URIs provisioned at
     the AS. I assume this will be section 4.
 <font size=2
     color=navy face=Arial>The
     framework should mention the need to convey conference control received at
     the AS via XCON conference control protocol to the MS.
 <font size=2
     color=navy face=Arial>Media
     control can be available using the SIP dialog or the control protocol. It should
     be described. An example – An endpoint is using XCON control
     protocol to ask to mute a participant – the AS can use 3PCC on the
     call leg between the participant and the MS or it can tell the MS to do it
     using the control protocol between the AS and MS. What are the
     recommendations or is it an implementation issue. Note also that the state
     change needs to be notified to the subscriber to the conference event
     package.
 <font size=2
     color=navy face=Arial>Why
     not use the XCON conference control protocol between the AS and MS and
     send the package using this protocol. The protocol here is similar in
     terms of the supported messages.

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Roni Even

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>

---

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:01:22 GMT

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Thanks Roni – comments in-line.

<span style='font-size:

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Chris.

<span style='font-size:

<span style='font-size:

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original Message-----
From:
[email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] <span style='font-weight:
bold'>On Behalf Of Even, Roni
Sent: 09 February 2006 13:33
To:
[email-masked]
Subject: [mediactrl] SIP Control
Framework - More Comments

<font size=3
face="Times New Roman"> 

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>Hi,

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial> 

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>The way
I understand the framework is that in Figure 4 the entities are the endpoint
(User Agent) that connects to the application server (The middle entity) using
SIP (or H.323) for call setup and XCON conference control protocol may be used
for conference creation and control.

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>The
Application server may initiate IVR sessions, Announcement or multipoint
conferences based on the AS logic. For conferencing the AS will include the
focus as described in the SIPPING conference framework, note that for
conferencing a conference can use more then one media servers for example one
for mixing audio and the other is an IM exploder. It may also server as factory
as described in sipping conferencing. The focus is also sending conference
event notification.

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>The AS
connects to the media server (right entity) by creating a TCP connection using
a SIP dialog. I would like to assume that there is one TCP control connection
between an AS and a MS and not one per session (IVR, Announce, and Conference)
in order not to have too many open TCP connection and to help with FW/NAT
traversal. Using one TCP connection can help with learning MS capabilities. The
AS connects to the MS when it starts, learn the MS capabilities and can use
this connection as a keep-alive mechanism.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] You are correct.  This is how the framework
is intended to work.

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>The AS
is using 3rd party call control to establish the media connection
between the endpoint and the media server.

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] Yes.

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>Now some
comments/questions

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial> 

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>1.      
<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>In the MS discovery
process, the AS is using caller prefs. Is there a proxy where the MS register
with their capabilities (this is not explained) or does the AS send it to all
MSs in which case are their URIs provisioned at the AS. I assume this will be
section 4.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] I mentioned this in another thread.  As
this is a core framework, it is expected that an extension document will exist
some time in the future that will register the appropriate media tags (depending
on package) + explain there usage.  See the following link as an example
of how its being done in Speechsc - <a
href="http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melanchuk-speechsc-serverloc-00.txt">http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melanchuk-speechsc-serverloc-00.txt

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>2.      
<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The framework should
mention the need to convey conference control received at the AS via XCON
conference control protocol to the MS.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] I’m happy to talk about this –
the idea is that this is a generic framework and I was reluctant to mention
specifics.  Would this not be in an XCON doc explaining the mapping +
usage of the framework?

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>3.      
<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Media control can be
available using the SIP dialog or the control protocol. It should be described.
An example – An endpoint is using XCON control protocol to ask to mute a
participant – the AS can use 3PCC on the call leg between the participant
and the MS or it can tell the MS to do it using the control protocol between
the AS and MS. What are the recommendations or is it an implementation issue.
Note also that the state change needs to be notified to the subscriber to the
conference event package.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] Again, I think this is outside the scope of
the core framework and would need to be documented in XCON.

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>4.      
<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Why not use the XCON
conference control protocol between the AS and MS and send the package using this
protocol. The protocol here is similar in terms of the supported messages.

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] This might be fine for specific XCON
operations but the idea behind the framework is to provide a more generic
solution that can be used in varying deployments using differing levels of
granularity.

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>Roni
Even

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial> 

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial> 

<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial> 

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing signed by an officer of Ubiquity Software Corporation, nothing in this communication shall be deemed to be legally binding. Thank-you

---

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:30:57 GMT

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Chris,

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Thanks for the replies I would like to
continue on the follwoing issues.

<span style='font-size:

 <font size=2
     color=navy face=Arial>I
     think that the connection between an application server and media server
     should be static and would not need a discovery protocol. I would like to
     see use cases for the need for dynamically locating a server. We are not
     talking about a terminal looking for a media server that will do something
     for him.
 <font size=2
     color=navy face=Arial>I
     think that the framework should address all the possible services that the
     AS/MS will cover. Otherwise how can you claim that it satisfies all the requirements.
     
 <font size=2
     color=navy face=Arial>I
     think that the framework should include the description about how you represent
     a specific service on the media server in the AS. The example is the focus
     which can be extended in this framework to represent an IVR session or any
     other media service. The focus is the call signaling termination on the
     AS. In figure 4 the arrows with value 2 are two separate dialogs going
     through or initiated by the AS. The initial session in figure 4 is
     initiated by the terminal using SIP but this is not the only case. The
     call can be initiated by pressing a link on a web page coming from the AS
     who will initiate the SIP legs.

<span style='font-size:

<span style='font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Roni

<span style='font-size:

<font size=3
face="Times New Roman">

<span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Tahoma;font-weight:bold'>From:<font size=2
face=Tahoma> Chris Boulton
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006
4:04 PM
To: Even, Roni;
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [mediactrl] SIP
Control Framework - More Comments

<span style='font-size:
12.0pt'> 

<span style='font-size:

<span style='font-size:

<span style='font-size:

<span style='font-size:

<span style='font-size:

<span
To: [email-masked]

<span
style='font-size:12.0pt'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Hi,

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The way I understand the
framework is that in Figure 4 the entities are the endpoint (User Agent) that
connects to the application server (The middle entity) using SIP (or H.323) for
call setup and XCON conference control protocol may be used for conference
creation and control.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The Application server
may initiate IVR sessions, Announcement or multipoint conferences based on the
AS logic. For conferencing the AS will include the focus as described in the
SIPPING conference framework, note that for conferencing a conference can use
more then one media servers for example one for mixing audio and the other is
an IM exploder. It may also server as factory as described in sipping
conferencing. The focus is also sending conference event notification.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The AS connects to the
media server (right entity) by creating a TCP connection using a SIP dialog. I
would like to assume that there is one TCP control connection between an AS and
a MS and not one per session (IVR, Announce, and Conference) in order not to
have too many open TCP connection and to help with FW/NAT traversal. Using one
TCP connection can help with learning MS capabilities. The AS connects to the
MS when it starts, learn the MS capabilities and can use this connection as a
keep-alive mechanism.

<span

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] You are correct.  This is how the
framework is intended to work.

<span style='font-size:

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>The AS is using 3rd
party call control to establish the media connection between the endpoint and
the media server.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span

<span style='font-size:

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Now some
comments/questions

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>1.<span style='font-size:
7.0pt;color:navy'>       <font
size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>In the MS discovery process, the AS is using caller prefs. Is there
a proxy where the MS register with their capabilities (this is not explained)
or does the AS send it to all MSs in which case are their URIs provisioned at
the AS. I assume this will be section 4.

<span

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic'>[Chris Boulton] I mentioned this in another thread.  As
this is a core framework, it is expected that an extension document will exist
some time in the future that will register the appropriate media tags
(depending on package) + explain there usage.  See the following link as
an example of how its being done in Speechsc - <a
href="http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melanchuk-speechsc-serverloc-00.txt">http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melanchuk-speechsc-serverloc-00.txt

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>2.<span style='font-size:
7.0pt;color:navy'>       <font
size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>The framework should mention the need to convey conference control
received at the AS via XCON conference control protocol to the MS.

<span

<span

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>3.<span style='font-size:
7.0pt;color:navy'>       <font
size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>Media control can be available using the SIP dialog or the control
protocol. It should be described. An example – An endpoint is using XCON
control protocol to ask to mute a participant – the AS can use 3PCC on
the call leg between the participant and the MS or it can tell the MS to do it
using the control protocol between the AS and MS. What are the recommendations
or is it an implementation issue. Note also that the state change needs to be
notified to the subscriber to the conference event package.

<span

<span

<span style='font-size:

<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>4.<span style='font-size:
7.0pt;color:navy'>       <font
size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:navy'>Why not use the XCON conference control protocol between the AS and
MS and send the package using this protocol. The protocol here is similar in
terms of the supported messages.

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span

<span style='font-size:

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Roni Even

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span
style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> 

<span style='font-size:
12.0pt'>

<span
style='font-size:7.5pt;font-family:Verdana'>Information contained in this
e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and
may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All
unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If
you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all
copies of this email.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing signed
by an officer of Ubiquity Software Corporation, nothing in this communication
shall be deemed to be legally binding. Thank-you