Subject: RE: [mediactrl] Some questions

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:37:07 GMT

Sorry for the VERY long delay in responding.

On Thoughts:
The purpose of using SIP O/A is to (1) avoid the nastiness of H.248 by
having convoluted and separated media type negotiation.  Also, it is to
enshrine the use of SIP for resource discovery and routing.

On Distributed Processing:
The cardinality of AS:MS is actually neither 1:1 nor 1:n.  It is m:n.
Some implementations, when fully built-out, can have at least an order
of magnitude more AS than MS (20x m : 1).  Likewise, we have seen
implementations that have a handful of AS driving a bunch of MS (12x m :
20x n). 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jose
Rey
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 9:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mediactrl] Some questions

Hi,

First off, I was not able to find any archives so I am posting this
directly. Sorry if redundant.

I have visited the mediactrl supplemental page
(http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/i-d/mediactrl/) and read through pretty
much all docs there. Yet there are some things unclear to me. Let me
start with a couple of them:

- It says in the "thoughts" draft, that "There is a desire to leverage
the SIP protocol machinery for media session establishment, namely the
SIP Offer/Answer protocol."  What is exactly meant here? Is it the
expresiveness of the SDP or the messages themselves that need to be
expanded, or the whole? Which processes need leverage in O/A?

- It is not clear to me what "distributed processing" really is. In the
Boulton draft (draft-boulton-media-server-control-00) it is said that
"This document describes a protocol for application deployment where the
application logic and media processing are distributed." When I read
this I don't know if there can only be one AS controlling _just_ one
media server or an AS may control several media servers (1:1 or 1:m
cardinality?). If the former, that is IMO better defined as
"non-colocated", please clarify.

Thanks,

---------------------------------------------
Jose Rey     mailto:[email-masked]
P R D C G - Panasonic R&D Center Germany GmbH
Phone/Fax: +49(0)6103766-134/166
--------------------------------------------- 

........................................................................
.....
Confidentiality Notice
The information contained in this Email, and any attachments, is
intended for the named recipients only. It may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, store, distribute or take any action in
reliance on it. Any views expressed do not necessarily reflect the views
of the company.

If you receive this Email by mistake, please advise the sender by using
the reply facility in your Email software and then delete it.
........................................................................
....

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or
information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any
liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any
communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this
website or as otherwise deemed improper.

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this website or as otherwise deemed improper.