Subject: [mediactrl] Upside and Downside

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:05:47 +0100

Well, it's been a long two years, and we finally are close to being a work
group.  This means some good news and some bad news.

Good news:
We will get resources and focus from the IETF for this activity.  For
example, I am in the process of getting the [email-masked] mail list up
and running, as well as importing the archive from Ubiquity.

Other organizations will take notice of the work, now that it may become
official.

We will get lots of good comments and helpful hints from the greater IETF
community, which will make eventual publication in the IETF much more
likely.

BAD news:
The effort to create a work group will suck the life blood out of the group.
There will be NO WORK done at IETF 67.  The BOF's sole focus is building
consensus inside the IETF on (1) whether we should charter and (2) what that
charter will be.  While our meetings to date have had around twenty folks
show up, expect well over 100 people to show up at the BOF.  Many of these
people will have absolutely no idea what we are trying to do or why it is
important.  Comments will range from the incredibly useful ("Have you
considered X?") to the incredibly useless ("The IETF should not sanction
this work because a telephone company *might* use the work product to make
money.").  Be prepared for such an onslaught.

The converse to the resources and notice within the IETF is that our
documents will get much more scrutiny from many different angles.  Many of
you have suffered my wrath when it came to security considerations.  You are
about to experience security horrors (comments) that will make my objections
sound like soft, helpful hints :-)

Going through the BOF to Work Group stage will unquestionably add time to
the production of our documents.  However, it is well worth the effort, as
it dramatically increases the likelihood of our documents getting published.

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this website or as otherwise deemed improper.