Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] WGLC: draft-ietf-mediactrl-architecture-00.txt - just say "yes"

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:52:25 -0500

Just as background for the working group -

I've been doing shepherd write-ups AFTER WGLC, because it's my intention to 
give the working group as much room to work as possible, but I'm doing the 
shepherd write-up for this draft now, and the shepherd questionnaire 
includes this text:

   (1.g)  Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the
          document satisfies all ID nits?  (See
          http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html and
          http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/).  Boilerplate checks are
          not enough; this check needs to be thorough.  Has the document
          met all formal review criteria it needs to, such as the MIB
          Doctor, media type and URI type reviews?

and http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html includes this text:

Security Considerations section

MUST have meaningful exploration of security issues raised by the proposal, 
SHOULD include both risks and description of solutions or workarounds. See 
"Guidelines for Writing RFC Text on Security Considerations" [RFC3552] 
(Rescorla, E. and B. Korver, "Guidelines for Writing RFC Text on Security 
Considerations," July 2003.) and "Guidelines for Mandating the Use of IPsec" 
[I-D.bellovin-useipsec] (Bellovin, S., "Guidelines for Mandating the Use of 
IPsec," August 2006.)

Eric and I believe that the appropriate security considerations for an 
architecture draft focus on aspects like whether confidentiality is 
required, rather than naming specific technologies ("MUST implement TLS").

We will, of course be bringing this back to the working group (along with 
anything else we spot while doing the shepherd write-up), so if you have 
thoughts about architecture-level security issues, please raise them on-list 
now - probably using a thread like "Architecture Draft Security Issues".

Thanks!

Spencer 

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl