Subject: Use of Service Change Address

From: Prashant Jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:03:00 +0530

Hi Brian, Tom, List,

Can the Service Change Address Parameter be used in the following scenario:

Consider MG/MGC application running over a multi-homed host  with a single copy
or multiple redundant copies of TCP/IP
Stack in the case of IP networks. Here it is assumed that MG/MGC application do
not support redundancy at their level.

Now, if any network interface card or an active copy of TCP/IP Stack fails,
System management running in the system may wish to
change the local ID i.e. may use another card  or use the standby copy with
different IP address configured for it.  In this scenario, protocol
must  specify a way to communicate this information (of Local Address Change) to
the other entity without breaking the existing association.

As per the current text of the protocol,  can we send a Service Change Request
to the other entity with DISCONNECTED method, Service Change Reason as  "Loss of
Lower Layer Connectivity" and Service Change Address as the new specified local
address to take care of the above scenario.

Please do reply.

Prashant Jain
HUghes Software Systems

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 07:45:49 -0500

By definition (based on procedures recorded in the document), DISCONNECTED
means that there is probably a state mismatch between the MG and MGC.  You
should probably use FORCED instead.

And this looks like a situation where the MGC would be justified in
initiating a new TCP connection.  Does anyone else care to comment?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Prashant Jain [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 8:33 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Use of Service Change Address
>
>
> Hi Brian, Tom, List,
>