Subject: Property value retainment in case of LocalControlDescriptor.

From: Madhu Babu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:51:13 +0530

In Section 7.1.7 paragraph 9 indicates that a new local control descriptor
replaces the previous setting of that descriptor is this true in case of
properties also.  or is it that MGC will always have to send these properties
every time it sends a local control descriptor.
Regards.
-Madhubabu

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:39:21 -0400

Good question.  It is complicated by the fact that it is crucial (I think)
to be able to say whether a given property is even present on a given
termination.  This is tied to the broader question of package support.  I
would like to make these propositions, which are consistent with the
protocol as it stands but are very much open to discussion:
(1) Some packages are mutually exclusive (cannot simultaneously be supported
on the same termination), for example, RTP and TDMC.
(2) Once a given package has been assigned to a termination, the protocol
provides no way of getting rid of it.

If (1) is true we should be documenting the incompatibilities in the package
definitions and implementations should check for valid combinations.  If (2)
is true each termination acquires a state composed of packages provisioned
against it, plus all additional packages invoked on it by the MGC and
accepted by the MG.  Packages with no known incompatibilities and no
associated properties can be ignored in composing this state.  The MG has to
check each new package invocation from the MGC against the accrued
termination package state.

Now: how does this relate to your question?  If the above propositions are
accepted, we can reason that properties are persistent -- once they have
been attributed to a termination they never go away.  It is a short step to
suggest that they will typically require explicit action to change them, and
you can assume they stay unchanged otherwise.  Therefore properties don't
have to be respecified in TerminationState and LocalControl unless you want
them to change.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Madhu Babu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 10:21 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Property value retainment in case of LocalControlDescriptor.
>
>