Subject: Context List in H.248

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 18:58:42 +1100

G'Day all,

I've found an inconsistency between the text and the encodings.

In section 7.2.5 AuditValue it has the following table:

The following illustrates other information that can be obtained with
the Audit Command:
ContextID       TerminationID   Information Obtained
:
All             wildcard        Audit of all matching Terminations and
                                the Context to which they are associated
All             Root            List of all ContextIds

However the ABNF nor the ASN.1 have the support to send back a list of
context IDs. This is complicated by the fact the ContextIds sit above
the command. I think the functionality is desirable and valid so I guess
we need to fix the encodings.

Firstly do people see this as a valid problem? If so one solution would
be to add the ContextIDList to AuditReturnParameter. Do people have
other suggestions?

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Shalini Philip <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 14:39:17 +0530

Hello Christian, list,

    I recall this issue being discussed on the mailing list sometime back.
And it was decided that we would modify the grammar to return a Context Id
list only in V2.
The information of ContextId list can be conveyed by using different Action
Replies in the existing grammar. But as I see it, it is not possible to
specify an Action Reply with an empty Audit reply.

Thanks & Regards,
   Shalini Philip.

Christian Groves wrote:

> Notice to Recipient:
> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee
> and may contain information that is proprietary and confidential
> and/or privileged by law. If you received this e-mail in error,
> any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
> e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
> error, please notify us immediately of the error by return e-mail
> and please delete this message and all attachments from your system.
> Thank you.

--
Regards,

Shalini Philip
Globespan Inc.
E-Mail : mailto:[email-masked]
Web    : http://www.globespan.net

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:01:15 +1100

G'Day Shalini,

So we have an inconsistancy in the protocol. The protocol text in
version 1 explicitely says that we have this functionality but the
syntax doesn't allow it. To me returning a list of context IDs is pretty
important functionality. So we are left with the decision to update the
syntax or to remove the text. I prefer the former.

Cheers, Christian