Subject: Significance of WARM Boot

From: Prashant Jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:13:37 +0530

Hi Brian, Tom, List,

Can anyone explain the difference between the COLD Boot and the WARM Boot as
Service Change Reasons.

Does it mean that in the case of COLD boot,  everything is powered on from the
begining. However in the case of WARM boot, provisioned data at MG may be
preserved as it is, but all the active and the transient calls are cleared of
its own.

Please calrify.

Prashant Jain
Hughes Software Systems

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:49:28 -0400

In both cases, provisioned values are preserved.  The usual distinctions
are:
 - cold boot: all non-NULL contexts are cleared
 - warm boot: transactions in process may be lost, but otherwise all state
is preserved
 - hot standby: no state loss as a result of the transition

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Prashant Jain [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 8:44 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Significance of WARM Boot
>
>
> Hi Brian, Tom, List,
>

---

From: Kushanava Laha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:34:37 +0530

Hi Tom,
     Thanks for indicating the procedures in MG for
each type of boot. Can these be included in the protocol document?

Further w.r.t. Section 7.2.8 that covers the various Service Change Reasons
I propose the scenarios for reporting each Service Change Reason from the
MG be also included in the protocol, as had been done for the error codes.

A related proposal - Assuming the interpretations of cold and warm boot as
indicated
by you, a new Service Change Reason "MG registration" be also included that
means that the MG is registering with the MGC fresh and has no (or has lost all)
previous
context and state. This shall be included in the Service Change Reason parameter
in the
initial Service Change on root from MG to MGC for registering.

regards,
Kushanava Laha

Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]> on 09/11/2000 06:19:28 PM

Please respond to Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Kushanava Laha/HSS)

Subject:  Re: Significance of WARM Boot