Subject: Error Descriptor

From: Nurit Shenhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:06:34 +0200

Hi list

The H.248 says the following: (
   ....
   command marked as Optional results in an error, subsequent commands
   in the Transaction will be executed.  A TransactionReply includes the
   results for all of the Commands in the corresponding
   TransactionRequest.  The TransactionReply includes the return values
   for the Commands that were executed successfully, and the Command and
   error descriptor for any Command that failed.  TransactionPending is
      .....

This means that each failed command should report an error. but the syntax
allows an error descriptor only on the action level,
and if the error descriptor appears, there can be not CommandReply:

   actionReply          = CtxToken EQUAL ContextID LBRKT
                          ( errorDescriptor / commandReply ) RBRKT

   commandReply       = (( contextProperties [COMMA commandReplyList] )
                           / commandReplyList )

   commandReplyList     = commandReplys *(COMMA commandReplys )

   commandReplys        = (serviceChangeReply / auditReply / ammsReply
                           / notifyReply )

Shouldn't we have an error descriptor as one of the options in the
CommandReplys?

Best regards

Nurit Shenhar
AudioCodes Ltd.
Direct: +972-3-539-4155
Tel:     +972-3-539-4000
Fax:    +972-3-539-4040
email:  [email-masked]

web:    <http://www.audiocodes.com>

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:22:00 +0200

Nurit,

This indeed seems to be an error in the ABNF.  The ASN.1 structures do
support the functionality described in the text you quoted from 8.2.2.

I think that there are two options for resolving this issue.

1. Change the ABNF to match the structure of the ASN.1.
2. Create multiple action replies instead of one if both an error and
   a command reply have to be returned.

Any thoughts?

John

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 303
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954