Subject: Queries on ALF

From: Lalit Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:36:58 +0530

hi all,
   According to my interpretation, the RFC recommends the implementation of
UDP/ALF, but does not specify how is that going to be achieved.
	The implementation of ALF requires that the peer applications share
a common view of the ADU in some abstract syntax so that when the sender
does the data transformations, the receiver could do the reverse
transformations. Also the peers need to  have a common understanding on
addition information related to ADU so that ADU could be properly
interpreted by the receiver. 	I could not find a standard specification
for above in RFC. where can i get that standard from??

thanks,

With Regards,
lalit

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:50:08 -0400

Actually, no.

ALF is a set of techniques that don't have to be implemented uniformly to
achieve interoperability.  They are optimizations, not rules.

An oft-cited example is that there are circumstances when outgoing
messages are queued at the sender for transmission.  An ALF implementation
could decide to reorder the messages.  This should work - the order of
execution of transactions is not guaranteed.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lalit Kumar [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 9:07 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Queries on ALF
> 
> 
> hi all,