Subject: RE: How to Determine the Termination Type

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:34:24 -0400

In most cases, you won't use $ with a physical termination because it
usually matters
which physical port you want. 
 
However, the rule is that you must specify (using local/remote) enough
parameters
to allow the MG to choose the type of termination correctly.
 
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarju Garg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 4:53 AM
To: 'megaco'
Subject: How to Determine the Termination Type

Hi all,
 
Suppose MG application supports RTP, PSTN termination. The termination are
allocated by the MG application for a call? So the ADD command specify $ for
the termination name so that MG can allocate a termination  and return it to
MGC application. How does the MG application come to know that receiving an
ADD command is for which type of termination - for RTP termination or PSTN
termination? I believe Local/Remote descriptors are required for RTP
terminations. So can Local/Remote descriptor be used for this purpose? 
 
TIA
Sarju

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:00:33 -0400

Hi Brian,All,

In case of choosing any physical trunk IMO $ can be useful for choosing
physical termination too.  MGs shouldn't assume that $ in ADD only comes for
creation of Ephemeral Termination, and logic should be based on the
descriptors rather than the wildcard termination Identifier. Of course as
Brian, suggested enough parameters needs to be specified by the MGC.

-Regards
Madhubabu
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Rosen, Brian
  Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 10:34 AM
  To: 'Sarju Garg'; 'megaco'
  Subject: RE: How to Determine the Termination Type

  Brian
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Sarju Garg [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 4:53 AM
    To: 'megaco'
    Subject: How to Determine the Termination Type

    Hi all,

    Suppose MG application supports RTP, PSTN termination. The termination
are allocated by the MG application for a call? So the ADD command specify $
for the termination name so that MG can allocate a termination  and return
it to MGC application. How does the MG application come to know that
receiving an ADD command is for which type of termination - for RTP
termination or PSTN termination? I believe Local/Remote descriptors are
required for RTP terminations. So can Local/Remote descriptor be used for
this purpose?

    TIA
    Sarju

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:03:36 -0400

> 
> In most cases, you won't use $ with a physical termination because it usually matters
> However, the rule is that you must specify (using local/remote) enough parameters

I know it's too late to change, but I must rant again:

If the MGC KNOWS the type it wants, why can't it just 
TELL the MG.  Making the MG deduce the type is stupid.

Why send the MG any details?  Make it deduce everything.
"Read my mind."

-troy

P.S.  I'm thinking of a number...