Subject: RE: Concept of Stream ID Zero

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:56:36 +0530

Since as per protocol, events and signals are detected on streams, then can we
assume that a default stream exists when a termination is put in-service at MG.

However if this default stream concept is not valid, then the statement about
the stream ID 0, in the protocol needs to be modified. It uses the word
"particular stream", and as per our discussion here, it means "ANY stream". It
implies that at least one stream should exist and does not imply that event is
to be observed on the termination as such. Take the following scenario.

If a stream is created by MGC explicitly (through stream descriptor) and after
that event descriptor is received without a stream ID, then default value 0 is
taken and event shall be detected on any stream (here the stream created through
stream descriptor) and not the termination. However, if the event descriptor is
received before any stream descriptor with stream ID absent, interpret it as the
event being enabled on the termination and not on any stream.

If the above interpretation is not correct, the concept of default needs to be
there.

Thanks,
Prashant Jain

"Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]> on 06/13/2001 08:58:35 PM

To:   Prashant Jain/HSS@HSS, [email-masked]
cc:

Subject:  RE: Concept of Stream ID Zero

Hi Prashant,
IMO the first argument is definitely not true..since you can't expect an
event to occur simultaneously on all the streams on the given termination.
The second possibility can be true as the stream Identifier is of not much
significance, the event needs to be reported if recognized on any of the
streams. Infact if there is no media stream (I mean no transfer of
media)..the same argument for StreamId 0 holds good, as there is no
significance for the stream Id. Then The events will be detected on the
termination (which maps to a physical line or one or more DS0s).

-Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 10:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Concept of Stream ID Zero

Hi everybody, tom, brian,

In the section 7.1.9 of the protocol, it is written that stream ID 0
indicates
that the event to be detected is not related to a particular media stream.

This statement is little confusing. Does it imply that stream ID 0 means all
media streams in case multiple streams have been created on the specified
termination. And if yes, does it also imply that if the specified event is
detected on all  media streams, then only it shall be  reported to the MGC.

Another interpretation of the stream ID 0 can be that the specified event is
to
be detected on any of the streams in case multiple streams exist
simultaneously.
And in this case event shall be reported to MGC if it is detected over any
of
the streams on the specified termination.

Please clarify my doubt.

Thanks,
Prashant Jain