Subject: TimeStamp Optional in Notify ObservedEventsDescriptor

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:18:21 -0400

I believe that TimeStamp is intended to be optional in ObservedEvents
Descriptor.  Both ABNF and ASN.1 have the element
optional, but no where is this suggested in the text.  Section 7.1.17
and 7.2.7 both mention time as one of the contents of ObservedEvents
with no suggestion that it is optional.  If the intention was to make it
optional, seems like the text should mention that.

Section 7.2.7 includes:

     Each event in the list is accompanied by parameters associated with
the event and an indication of the time that the event
     was detected.

which doesn't sound very optional and the statement in 7.1.17 includes
it in a list where all other items are required.  If we agree it should
be optional I suggest clarifying this through the Implementors Guide.

Sentence in 7.2.7 would read:

     Each event in the list is accompanied by parameters associated
     with the event and optionally an indication of the time that
     the event was detected.

7.1.17 to read:

     ObservedEvents contains the RequestIdentifier of the
     EventsDescriptor that triggered the notification, the event(s)
     detected, optionally the detection time(s) and any parameters
     of the event.

To be more complete I'm also suggested adding meantion of the parameters
here.

Any objection?
--
------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:22:04 +1000

G'Day Terry,

No problem with the change as it aligns the procedures with the syntax.

Christian