Subject: [Megaco] Partial name in Topology descriptor

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:56:11 +0200

Hi,

I have a question on the Topology descriptor issue.

Chapter 7.1.18 says:

"if a CHOOSE wildcard occurs in T1 or T2, then a partial name SHALL NOT
be specified"

What does this "partial name" mean? Does it mean that I can't use
"RTP/$"
as a ID for one termination in the descriptor?

eg.

Topology {J7.1,RTP/$,bothway)

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:10:27 +1100

>From what I understand partial is a partial termination ID as you
describe. It took me a while to remember why we had this. Its the
termination ID in the ADD or MOD that would drive the selection of the
appropriate termination ID not the partial ID in the topology descriptor
so it was thought that CHOOSE by itself was enough.

Regards, Christian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:10:27 +1100

Regards, Christian

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:21:53 +0200

Hi,

>so it was thought that CHOOSE by itself was enough.

Yes, but wasn't that back when the general understanding was that
emphemeral termination IDs was completely assigned by the media gatewai?
Currently, however, the call agent IS allowed to assign the ID, or parts
of it, so I guess it affects the Topology descriptor too.

If I ADD "RTP/$" I should also be allowed to use it in the Topology
descriptor. Otherwise I would have to send a MODIFY, with the Topology
descriptor, when I get the full Termination ID from the media gateway in
the ADD reply.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:21:53 +0200

Hi,

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:29:19 +1100

Hello Christer,

See below.

Christian

> emphemeral termination IDs was completely assigned by the media gatewai?

[CHG] No

> descriptor, when I get the full Termination ID from the media gateway in

Yes you can do what you want. Remember that Topology isn't part of the
ADD command. Therefore if you do:

Transaction
   Topology (?,t1,oneway)
   ADD.req(TID=rtp/?)

Reply
   Topology (Rtp/t2,t1,oneway)
   ADD.rep(TID=rtp/t2)

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:29:19 +1100

Hello Christer,

See below.

Christian

[CHG] No

Transaction
   Topology (?,t1,oneway)
   ADD.req(TID=rtp/?)

Reply

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:46:40 +0200

Hi,

>ADD command.

No, but I meant the transaction which ADD is part of. I would have to
initiate a new transaction, with the MODIFY command :)

>Therefore if you do:

Ok, so now I have added the first RTP termination.

Then I want to add a another RTP termination, so again I send:

Transaction
   Topology (?,t1,oneway)
   ADD.req(TID=rtp/?)

Now, in the reply I may receivy ADD.rep(TID=rtp/t3).

So, just to clarify: what will I now receive in the Topology? Will the
media gateway ASSUME
that the "?" in the Topology descriptor is the new RTP termination I
just added? Because, the CHOOSE value would also fit the first RTP
termination i added (rtp/t2) in the previous transaction. So, I could
get:

Reply
   Topology (Rtp/t3,t1,oneway)
   ADD.rep(TID=rtp/t3)

OR

Reply
   ADD.rep(TID=rtp/t3)

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:46:40 +0200

Hi,

Transaction
   Topology (?,t1,oneway)
   ADD.req(TID=rtp/?)

Reply

OR

Reply

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:16:37 +1100

G'Day Christer,

See below.

Christian

>    Topology (Rtp/t3,t1,oneway)

[CHG] You will get Rtp/t3 because you are specifying a new topology
triple. Topology is additive. A new triple will affect the existing
topology.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:16:37 +1100

G'Day Christer,

See below.

Christian