Subject: [Megaco] MGC2 twiddling his thumbs

From: Ruppelt Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:47:59 +0100

some thoughts regarding MGC failure: 
assumed we have one MG controlled by MGC1(primary) and MGC2(secondary).
Now MGC1 fails (a ServiceChange with method = Handoff could not be send by 
MGC1). 

As I understand megaco, MGC2 has now to wait about 30 seconds to get the
ServiceChange command from the MG twiddling his thumbs. 
(contradiction to the master slave paradigma) 

It is out of scope of megaco but a carrier grade solution have to ensure 
that  in case of MGC1 failure the context-data from MGC1 have to be available 
somehow at MGC2.
That means also the failure of MGC1 could easily be known by MGC2 within
a few milliseconds.

Following this and the megaco Master/slave paradigma 
a ServiceChange with method = Handoff  send by MGC2 should be allowed 
by megaco to improve the performance of this scenario.

comments are welcome 
Christian  

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco