Subject: [Megaco] Syntax of MID

From: "Anand, Rashim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:16:26 -0700

Some time back we had a thread on MID being just a logical identifier going
on in the mailing list.
3015 Corr incorporates that concept (refer to section 8.3).

Shouldn't the ABNF and ASN definitions be modified to reflect that?
Currently, MID is
defined to be a choice of -

domain address / domain name / mtp address / device name

I think that MID could be better defined as -

mId = 1*( charsinMid )

charsinMid = ALPHA / DIGIT / ":" / "@" / "." / "[" / "]" /
                     "-" / ">" / "<" / "{" / "}" / "_" / "*" / "/" / "$"
    ;    basically the same characters which can be present in domain
name/address/mtp address/device name
    ;    some other characters could also be allowed

for ABNF and

      mId         OCTET STRING (SIZE(...)),

for ASN.

Such a modification would better reflect the logical identification purpose
of mid. The current
definitions IMPLICITLY restrict MID to domain name / address etc. This
restriction is inconsistent
with the nature of MID.

Thank,
- Rashim

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco