Subject: [Megaco] Offer of odd numbered RTP port

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:42:23 -0400

RFC 1889 requires that RTP be carried on an even numbered port with the 
next higher odd port implicitly used for RTCP.  What is the proper 
behavior if an MG is given a Local or Remote descriptor specifying an 
odd port?  It is common for an MGC to offer CHOOSE but legal for it to 
specify a port explicitly.

It would not be legal for MG to use the specified port.  RFC 1889 states:

> If an application is supplied with an odd number for use as the RTP 
> port, it should replace this number with the next lower (even) number.

(note this is SHOULD not SHALL), but (I believe) it is NOT legal for MG 
to change the port in its response.  I assume that the MG should reject 
the Add or Modify and specify some error code such as 515 Unsupported 
Media Type.

Do we agree that this is the proper behavior and if so is there a better 
error code or should we add one?

-- 

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:732.949.5628   Fax:732.949.7016
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2G-219A, 101 Crawfords Corner Rd, Holmdel, NJ 07733-3030
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco