Subject: [Megaco] Question about : Mode=SendReceive without Remote Descritor

From: Gunter Weiss <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:26:11 +0200

I have following question:
what should be the result of the MG if an MGC ask the MG to ADD a
RTP termination with MO=SR but without specifying a Remote descriptor?
I haven't found a hint in the RFC.
According to me:
The Gateway responds with ErrorCode "441-Missing Remote Descriptor"!
Otherwise where should it sent the RTP packets?

Regards, Gunter
--
                            Gunter Weiss,  VS/NGE,  VND
    +--------V--------+     Competance Area Leader - Gateway Protocols
    |  A L C A T E L  |     callto: +49-711-821-41613 faxto : .-40247
    +-----------------+     mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:54:09 +0300

Hi,

This has been discussed before. Currently I don't remember what the
conclusion was, but PERSONALLY  I think that the MG should not (at least
is should not be MUST) send an error response in this case. Instead, if
the MG doesn't have all the parameters needed to send the media it simply
doesn't send anything.

We should remember that in some cases we don't even need a Remote
description to be able to send media.

And, we should also remember that we may have terminations "inside" a
Context (eg MUX terminations) which don't have any "external" interface.

Having said that, if you want to send 441 for RTP streams I do NOT see it
as a "protocol error", but - we should be careful to make it as a general
rule for all kind of terminations (due to the reasons mentioned earlier).
I would say it's more an implementation issue...

Please comment if you disagree ;)

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:54:09 +0300

Hi,

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:16:35 -0700

HI Christer,
IMO MG should generate the error code 441 as soon as it finds that the MGC
is indicating something that cannot be immediately executed. Its not a
"protocol error", but the error code is defined to take care of such
scenario. If it doesn't generate an error code, when does the MG actually
start sending packets?? If MGC doesn't have the complete information why
does it set the mode to "sendrecv"??

Regards

Madhubabu Brahmanapally.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Christer Holmberg
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 6:54 AM
To: Gunter Weiss
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Question about : Mode=SendReceive without Remote
Descritor

Hi,

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:16:35 -0700

HI Christer,

Regards

Madhubabu Brahmanapally.

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 05:40:42 +0300

Hi,

> start sending packets??

When the mode is "sendrecv", AND the MG has enough information to send the
packets.

> If MGC doesn't have the complete information why

I don't know. I didn't say it would :)

I just wanted to remind that there are non-RTP streams where the Remote
descriptor isn't needed. But, like I said, it's not a protocol error if you
send 441 in the specific RTP stream case.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 05:40:42 +0300

Hi,

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland