Subject: [Megaco] Megaco vs MGCP

From: "luka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:55:34 -0200

Hi, All !

 I am quite new at studing Megaco/H.248 therefore I have some elementary questions.     
 
1 - When should we use Megaco instead of MGCP ? 

2 - Why Megaco has been developed?What was the reason to its development?    

3- I´d like to get information about the comparison MGCP model vs Megaco model . 

Is there any interesting site or paper on Internet that I can find out about this.?   

Could you please give me a help?

Regards

Luka

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:37:59 +0530

Hi Luka,

Have a look on White Paper "Use of MEGACO vis-à-vis MGCP to build a Gateway
Solution"
at the following link.

http://hssworld.com/whitepapers/voppapers.htm

Thanks
Ashish

Hughes Software Systems
www.hssworld.com

"luka" <[email-masked]>@ietf.org on 01/24/2004 07:25:34 AM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    <[email-masked]>
cc:

Subject:    [Megaco] Megaco vs MGCP

Hi, All !

 I am quite new at studing  Megaco/H.248 therefore I have some elementary
questions.

2 - Why Megaco has  been developed?What was the reason to its
development?

3- I´d like to get information about the comparison  MGCP model vs Megaco
model .

Is there any interesting site or paper on  Internet that I can find
out about  this.?

Regards

Luka

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:37:59 +0530

Hi Luka,

Thanks
Ashish

Hughes Software Systems
www.hssworld.com

To:    <[email-masked]>
cc:

Hi, All !

Regards

Luka

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:26:42 -0500

Comments inline. [KJBII]
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: luka [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 8:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Megaco vs MGCP

Hi, All !

1 - When should we use Megaco instead of MGCP ? 
[KJBII] Megaco can be used anywhere that MGCP would apply.  The reverse is
not necessarily true.  Keep in mind that Megaco is the international
standard for Media Gateway control, whereas MGCP is not a standard. 
 
2 - Why Megaco has been developed?What was the reason to its development?
[KJBII] Megaco was designed to provide Media Gateway control allowing
deployment of a wide variety of multimedia services.  It was the result of
many months of international cooperation and hard work. 
 
3- I´d like to get information about the comparison MGCP model vs Megaco
model . 
[KJBII] The biggest difference between the two is the connection model.
MGCP encapsulates connection information into the endpoint.  This allows
easy set-up of one-to-one connections, but makes one-to-many or many-to-one
connections difficult or impossible.  H.248 decomposes the MGCP endpoint
into terminations, decoupling the packet-side connection from the
physical-side terminal.  This makes H.248 uniquely capable in the realm of
multimedia distribution and conferencing, while still maintaining ease of
setup for one-to-one connections.
 
Is there any interesting site or paper on Internet that I can find out about
this.?   

Regards
 
Luka