Subject: RE: [Megaco] Megaco vs MGCP

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:26:42 -0500

Comments inline. [KJBII]
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: luka [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 8:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Megaco vs MGCP

Hi, All !
 
 I am quite new at studing Megaco/H.248 therefore I have some elementary
questions.     
 
1 - When should we use Megaco instead of MGCP ? 
[KJBII] Megaco can be used anywhere that MGCP would apply.  The reverse is
not necessarily true.  Keep in mind that Megaco is the international
standard for Media Gateway control, whereas MGCP is not a standard. 
 
2 - Why Megaco has been developed?What was the reason to its development?
[KJBII] Megaco was designed to provide Media Gateway control allowing
deployment of a wide variety of multimedia services.  It was the result of
many months of international cooperation and hard work. 
 
3- I´d like to get information about the comparison MGCP model vs Megaco
model . 
[KJBII] The biggest difference between the two is the connection model.
MGCP encapsulates connection information into the endpoint.  This allows
easy set-up of one-to-one connections, but makes one-to-many or many-to-one
connections difficult or impossible.  H.248 decomposes the MGCP endpoint
into terminations, decoupling the packet-side connection from the
physical-side terminal.  This makes H.248 uniquely capable in the realm of
multimedia distribution and conferencing, while still maintaining ease of
setup for one-to-one connections.
 
Is there any interesting site or paper on Internet that I can find out about
this.?   
 
Could you please give me a help?
 
Regards
 
Luka

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:36:35 -0500

Kevin Boyle wrote:

> not necessarily true.

Well, actually it is (I have yet to hear about an application that could be
supported by Megaco, but not MGCP), but starting that debate again is probably
neither fruitful, nor appropriate for this reflector.

> Keep in mind that Megaco is the international

However, keep in mind, that MGCP is the de facto industry standard. Also, the
NCS and TGCP profiles of MGCP are mandated by PacketCable and hence are needed
in the cable industry. Also both NCS and TGCP are full-blown ANSI and ITU-T
standards (J.162 and J.171).

> connections difficult or impossible.

On the contrary. A single endpoint easily supports multiple connections and
hence it is done very easily in MGCP (some would even argue easier than in
Megaco).

This is however a pointless discussion. Bottom line is what MGCP and Megaco are
two different solutions to the same problem. Some people prefer Megaco, some
prefer MGCP. They each have their pros and cons, but in the end, they can both
solve the same set of problems.

-- Flemming

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:36:35 -0500

-- Flemming