Subject: [Megaco] Can MG reset statistics before termination delete?

From: Sundar Bettadahalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 11:31:39 -0400

Hi,

Megaco RFC specifies that statistics are reset when a termination is
subtracted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.1.15   Statistics descriptor

The Statistics Descriptor provides information describing the status
and usage of a Termination during its existence within a specific Context.
....

Statistics are reset when a Termination is Subtracted from a Context.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean that Media Gateway "must not" reset statistics under any
other circumstances? Like possibly topology changes?

Following is an example when resetting statistics is useful.
We are maintaining RTCPXR statistics history table per DS1.
Whenever a SCN termination stops receiving stream from a PDN
termination, this table will be updated with the RTCPXR statistics
of the PDN termination at that moment.

Consider a simple VOIP call with bothway topology between a SCN and PDN
termination. When topology between SCN and PDN termination changes
from bothway to isolate, history table will be updated. Say topology is
changed to bothway and then isolate again. Statistics maintained in PDN
termination will be collected and updated in the history table again.
Now as can be seen, there is an overlap of statistics in the two updates
to history table. This problem can be solved if we can reset the
statistics mantained in the PDN termination. But this means that the
statistics sent to MGC when audited will not be for the whole duration
of the PDN termination's existence in this context.

Hence, I would like to know if resetting statistics other than during
termination subtraction is a protocol violation.

Thanks in advance,
Sundar

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:13:43 +0530

Hi Sundar

Megaco Version 3(H.248.1 V3) seems to have some options to reset the
Statistics descriptors under MGC control.
In V3 Statistics descriptor has been made as input descriptors in the
ADD/MODIFY/MOVE commands, thereby enabling the MGC to specify the set of
Statistics that MG should collect. Through the same mechanism , a new
statistics descriptor would result in resetting the value of stats. Also
empty statistics descriptor would result in no statistics to be collected
by MG for that particular terminations.
For details kindly refer to the section 7.1.15 of H248.1V3(still under
development)

regards
Venkat

             Sundar                                                        
             Bettadahalli                                                  
             <[email-masked]                                          To 
             om>                       [email-masked]                     
             Sent by:                                                   cc 
             megaco-bounces@ie                                             
             tf.org                                                Subject 
                                       [Megaco] Can MG reset statistics    
                                       before termination delete?          
             05/09/2005 09:01                                              
             PM                                                            

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Sundar

***********************  FSS-Restricted   ***********************

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software 
Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the  
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or 
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for 
any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received 
this message in  error, please notify the originator immediately. 
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  FSS  accepts no  responsibility  for
loss or damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted
by this email including damage from virus."

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:59:28 +1000

Hello Sundar,

In H.248.1 version 3 there is now the capability to reset statistics, place 
statistics on a stream level and to turn the collection on and off for 
individual statistics.

Regards, Christian