Subject: RE: [Megaco] benefits of MEGACO over MGCP......

From: "Aljaz Tomaz ITWECP" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:53:37 +0200

Hi!
You have put very nice "marketing" words, but are there any technical reasons to move from MGCP to H.248/MEGACO (what cannot be done in MGCP, but can be done in H.248/MEGACO), except that H.248/MEGACO is prefered choise for the industry in following years.

Tomaz

-----Original Message-----
From: B Venkat S.R Swamy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 8:37 AM
To: Sreenivasulu Gurram Naidu (gsnaidu)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] benefits of MEGACO over MGCP......

Hi

MEGACO is a powerful protocol and lends itself to meet all the requirements
of the existing telecom applications while creating new opportunities for
futuristic multi-media based services. It is therefore emerging as the
long-term solution for the MG-MGC interface. However, today market has
stable MGCP implementation. Currently, the industry trend is to implement
MGCP as a Gateway Control protocol and later move to MEGACO.

For a detailed comparative report on the MEGACO-MGCP protocol kindly refer
the FSS(Earlier HSS) white paper at following link:
http://www.hssworld.com/hss_mindsystem/megaco_vs_mgcp.htm

regards
B Venkat S.R Swamy
Senior Technical Leader
Flextronics Software Systems
Phone:  +91-124-2455555 Extn 3620
Fax: +91-124-2455345
web: www.flextronicssoftware.com

             "Sreenivasulu                                                 
             Gurram Naidu                                                  
             \(gsnaidu\)"                                               To 
             <[email-masked]         <[email-masked]>                   
             m>                                                         cc 
             Sent by:                                                      
             megaco-bounces@ie                                     Subject 
             tf.org                    [Megaco] benefits of MEGACO over    
                                       MGCP......                          
                                                                           
             08/22/2005 11:56                                              
             AM                                                            

Hi,

I have working knowledge on MGCP with trunking gateways, but got a fair
amount of theoretical know-how on MEGACO.

I appreciate someone's response on the advantages of MEGACO over MGCP? I am
particularly looking at the kind of advantages of MEGACO, where
it is not possible to achieve with MGCP.

Thanks,

Sreenivas
 _______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

***********************  FSS-Restricted   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software
Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for
any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received
this message in  error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  FSS  accepts no  responsibility  for
loss or damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted
by this email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: jijo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:14:03 +0530

Hi,

As we know that Megaco is evolved from MGCP, so Megaco is quite flexible 
to adpat new features and easy to interwork with next genration 
Protocols like 3G etc.
These are some of the benefits from Megaco..
1. Megaco is supported by ITU recommendation too, future development and
cooperation between ITU and IETF is clearly on H.248/ MEGACO. Megaco 
defines lots of packages to support Protocol Interactions. Its quite 
flexible to adapt new features.Where as evolution of MGCP has virtually 
stopped after the RFC3435.

2. H.248 uses a flexible call model which isolates packet connection 
from physical
resource, and so allows complex connections and services. Where as MGCP 
MGCP associate packet connection with physical resource which make it 
only appropriate for TDM-TDM, TDM-ATM and
TDM-IP connections.

3.H.248 provides an authentication header for security, a feature not 
supported by MGCP

4. Megaco Supports TCP and UDP as Transport Protocol where as MGCP 
supports only UDP

5. Megaco provide a powerful mechanism for supplementary services (e.g. 
call waiting), multi-party conferencing and multimedia support.

Thanks
Jijo

---

From: "B Venkat S.R Swamy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:23:46 +0530

Hi
      few more advantages mentioned inline below[FSS]

regards
B Venkat S.R Swamy
Senior Technical Leader

             jijo                                                          
             <jijoj@axestechno                                             
             logies.com>                                                To 
                                       Aljaz Tomaz ITWECP                  
             08/22/2005 01:14          <[email-masked]>                 
             PM                                                         cc 
                                       B Venkat S.R Swamy/HSS@HSS,         
                                       [email-masked]                     
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Re: [Megaco] benefits of MEGACO     
                                       over MGCP......                     

                                                                           

Hi,

2. H.248 uses a flexible call model which isolates packet connection
from physical
resource, and so allows complex connections and services. Where as MGCP
MGCP associate packet connection with physical resource which make it
only appropriate for TDM-TDM, TDM-ATM and
TDM-IP connections.
[FSS] Examples are important Bandwidth control applications, NATing where
both the sides are ephemeral.
[FSS]

4. Megaco Supports TCP and UDP as Transport Protocol where as MGCP
supports only UDP
[FSS] Apart from this Megaco also supports ATM(SSCOP, AAL5), Sigtran(SCTP,
M3UA) transports also which are backbone transport used in 3G and IMS
technology allowing ease of integration.
[FSS]

5. Megaco provide a powerful mechanism for supplementary services (e.g.
call waiting), multi-party conferencing and multimedia support.
[FSS]The Protocol features that enable above poweful mechanism include:
> greater flexibility on the allocation of the resources using ReserveGroup
and ReserveValue properties
> Multiple Stream support and greater flexibility in controlling flow of
information using Topology descriptor
> Multi-Media support, allowing mixing through Mux Descriptor
> Complex digit maps can be provisioned through Management actions which is
not possbile in MGCP.
> Support of Move command that enables servies such as Call waiting and
call transfer.
> Redundancy mechanisms are clearly defined in form of Failover and Handoff
procedures in Megaco.
[FSS]

Thanks
Jijo

Aljaz Tomaz ITWECP wrote:

>Hi!
>You have put very nice "marketing" words, but are there any technical
reasons to move from MGCP to H.248/MEGACO (what cannot be done in MGCP, but
can be done in H.248/MEGACO), except that H.248/MEGACO is prefered choise
for the industry in following years.