Subject: Re: [Megaco] TOS bits setting

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:03:38 -0600

Ron

If you're up for an alternative, this ID:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-mmusic-dscp-attribute-00.txt

... was just presented in MMUSIC during the San Diego IETF, which received 
favorable reviews from the room and WG chairs.  It is too new to have 
become a WG item yet, but I think I plan on asking for this effort to 
progress to WG status before the Prague meeting in March 07.  There likely 
will not be much additional changes after this next version (from the 
suggestions received during the IETF to expand its usefulness to include 
other use-cases than are currently listed in the draft).

BTW - I wrote this ID with SIP in mind (because that is where I'm mostly 
focused), but this effort is clearly not meant to be exclusive to SIP, as 
that is one reason I made this an SDP offering, for any protocol carrying 
SDP (i.e. SIP, RTSP, MEGACO, & MGCP)

Is what's in this ID what you're looking for (when considering how it can 
work with H.248)?

Do you have any suggestions to include in the doc?

The primary list to discuss this is MMUSIC

James

At 02:55 PM 11/20/2006 -0500, Ron Ho wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Is there an way to set TOS bits by not using the defferentiated service 
>package(ETSI TS 102 333)?  Or is the differentiaed service package my only 
>choice?
>
>Thanks,
>Ron
>_______________________________________________
>Megaco mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:36:36 +0100

Well, could be an alternative in future for H.248 in text encoding mode,
but not for binary mode in my understanding.
Whereas the ds package is independent of H.248 encoding.

I think it's good to underline that signalling of dscp is inherently
covering ToS codepoints as well. This is the case by this draft. This is
also indicated in general in DS RFCs. The key reference is RFC 2474 (DS),
which supersedes and obsoletes RFC 1349 (ToS), in a backward compatible
manner ("because the DS value range is a superset of the ToS range"). This
is also reflected in IANA codepoint assignments, see:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ip-parameters
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-tos-byte

There's no doubt about ToS codepoint signalling coverage by ds/1 package in
my opinion.

- Albrecht

                      "James M. Polk"                                                                                                   
                      <[email-masked]         To:      "Ron Ho" <[email-masked]>, megaco <[email-masked]>                    
                      m>                       cc:                                                                                      
                                               Subject: Re: [Megaco] TOS bits setting                                                   
                      22.11.2006 04:03                                                                                                  

Ron

James