Subject: RE: [Megaco] serviceChangeReason code's length

From: "Raphael Tryster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:18:55 +0200

The language quoted below from the ABNF description indicates that
reason codes must be formed with a number and optional text, in quotes,
like 

Reason="907 Transmission failure"

Section 7.2.8 seems to contradict this:

"The ServiceChangeReason parameter specifies the reason why the
ServiceChange has or will occur.  It consists of an alphanumeric token
(IANA registered) and, optionally, an explanatory string".
 
Alphanumeric?  Really?  I have not seen any examples of it, although
someone on this list did write

Reason = "WarmBoot(902)"

So what is valid synatax and what isn't?

Raphael Tryster

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 10:31 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] serviceChangeReason code's length

While there is nothing that restricts this, the intent is that the
encoding would be similar to error codes.  Error codes are specified as
being between 1 and 4 digits long.  I think it is safe to assume that
the numerical codes for SCReasons would match this paradigm.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 10:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] serviceChangeReason code's length

Hi,

"A serviceChangeReason consists of a numeric reason code and an optional
text description."

These codes now are 3 digit long (between 900 and 920).

Is it garanteed anywhere that these codes are always exactly 3 digit
long?

(E.g. in H.248.1 one can read:

"14.3 ServiceChange reasons
The following considerations SHALL be met to register service change
reason with IANA:
1) A one-phrase, 80-character maximum, unique reason code is registered
for each reason."

Is this a bug in the standard's text? Or this refers only to IANA's
needs, while the standard can be more strict? I haven't found any other
restrictions on the length of this code... Do they exist anywhere?)

Thanks,
Peter Tury

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
**********************************************************************************************
This e-mail contains confidential, privileged or proprietary information to VocalTec Communications.
If you received this messege by mistake, please inform us and then delete the original and all copies.
*** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious content. ***
**********************************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco