Subject: RE: [Megaco] Future of RFC 3525

From: "Stephen Mell \(CV/ETL\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:27:37 +0100

There is now much H.248 documentation (such as implementers guides and
Package descriptions that are fairly central to H.248) that is only
described in the ITU domain. Strictly speaking, all of this would need
revisiting to ensure that it conformed with IETF minimalism.

I think a minimal IETF Protocol Profile would in itself be confusing to
beginners and also lead to new types of interoperability problems when
the inevitable happens:  ITU and IETF implementations are commissioned
to face each other in a network.

All the relevant ITU standards are now available without subscription,
so in my view, deprecating the IETF documents is the sensible way
forward.

Steve 

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom-PT Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 14:51
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Future of RFC 3525

RFC 3525 has now become a stumbling block to beginners, since it is way
behind the state of H.248 standardization. We should do something about
it. I see three
possibilities:

  - change RFC 3525 status to Historic without doing anything else. This
would warn people to look at the ITU-T documentation instead.

  - replace 3525 with a more up-to-date version. I'll comment that I
personally am not willing to bring H.248.1v3 to the IETF because it has
been diluted by optimizations. There is a standard axiom in the IETF
that if there is more than way to do something you have an
interoperability problem.

  - create an IETF-defined profile of the protocol, starting with
H.248.1v3 and getting consensus on aspects that should be pruned out to
leave a common core protocol.

Could I have an indication of interest in one option or another? The
default action if no response will be to change RFC 3525 from Proposed
Standard to Historic.

Tom Taylor

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco